• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    How about just sentence or two mentioning what those are, what it means that they’ve moved, and what theg mean generally to the audience here.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    SB346 appears very bad. If I'm reading it correctly it reinstates the entire old pre-FSA 2013 section requiring need for most people to do the free MPCTC course to do any kind of a regulated firearm transfer, and that course no longer exists. In effect if it passed the way it is written it would, from my reading, make it impossible for many people who never did the old video course to do a transfer. The only way around would be for them to do an entire wear carry class.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Third reader for SB346, which passed 47-0 in Senate:
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/bills/sb/sb0346t.pdf

Which line is for " pre-FSA 2013 section requiring need to do the free MPCTC"

page 4 line 15, the course they refer to is the "free of charge" MPCTC one mentioned in b(14). That was the old online video course for those who remember. And I was wrong about the entire wear/carry class would also meet the requirement. It would have to be a police academy firearms certification under 3-207.

It looks like someone literally resurrected pages from the old pre-FSA 2013 law and then wrote the loan language into them. I really wonder if whoever wrote the senate version didn't realize they were working off of material that contained old repealed law.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    page 4 line 15, the course they refer to is the "free of charge" MPCTC one mentioned in b(14). That was the old online video course for those who remember. And I was wrong about the entire wear/carry class would also meet the requirement. It would have to be a police academy firearms certification under 3-207.

It looks like someone literally resurrected pages from the old pre-FSA 2013 law and then wrote the loan language into them. I really wonder if whoever wrote the senate version didn't realize they were working off of old repealed law.

Whoever writes these bills should go back and watch Animal House

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life"

Texas2012

Jan 25, 2013
    Olney
    What about the section at the end that says a "person may not sell, rent, or transfer....2. ammunition for a firearm to a minor...or 4. another deadly weapon to a minor."

I think I understand the intent, but could the common interpretation of the word "transfer" catch someone who simply hands ammunition to their child at the range. Also, it doesn't appear that a deadly weapon is defined in this section and that can be a broad term. Loaning your car (which can be a deadly weapon) to your 16 year old son could potentially count? Perhaps it's defined elsewhere?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Here is link to other thread for SB 346:

I did not see an objection to the third reader for SB346 from MSI and it passed 47-0. All this does is make loaning a gun to someone whom you know to be prohibited a crime.

I see what you mean now. Still makes me uncomfortable. But yeah, doesn't sound quite as disastrous now.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    What about the section at the end that says a "person may not sell, rent, or transfer....2. ammunition for a firearm to a minor...or 4. another deadly weapon to a minor."

I think I understand the intent, but could the common interpretation of the word "transfer" catch someone who simply hands ammunition to their child at the range. Also, it doesn't appear that a deadly weapon is defined in this section and that can be a broad term. Loaning your car (which can be a deadly weapon) to your 16 year old son could potentially count? Perhaps it's defined elsewhere?
    I think that is pre-existing stuff from FSA2013 and not new.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

There is already an exception in law about instruction of a youth.

A car obviously doesn’t fall in to that category.

As it stands, and this law doesn’t change it, there is a training/instruction exemption in the law (different section) that allows someone under 21 to be loaned a regulated firearm so long as the person loaning it is present.

So taking your kid to the range and letting them shoot your handgun continues to be perfectly legal. You could not give your Glock to your 18 year old and let them take it to the range without you being present (nor could you if they were 17 for that matter).

Same deal with handgun ammo. I don’t think you are going to get yourself in to trouble if your 17 year old is taking your Ruger PCC hunting and has 9mm on them.

But you know, they probably shouldn’t just be driving around with boxes of “handgun” ammo unless they have a long gun it would go with.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    One important thing to remember is that if this law is passed it will go into effect immediately. Not only do they knock you down but then kick you just for good measure.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    One important thing to remember is that if this law is passed it will go into effect immediately. Not only do they knock you down but then kick you just for good measure.

Which bill are you talking about?

Both HB96 and SB346 would go into effect October 1st 2019 in their current state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom