• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcleftnut

May 14, 2015
    Salisbury
    Alright let me try to explain,
    I have an almost completed 80% ar lower (no buffer tube) and a semi complete 300 blackout 16" hbar upper (need proper barrel nut crows foot). Never been attached to eachother. I also do not have my HQL yet.

So, with all of these bills in the works I dont know how this would affect me.

For example, if the HBAR is banned but the 80% are still good I buy another barrel once I get the HQL and be ok?

Or if the 80%s are banned and HBARS are not would I have to searalize(sp) mine or get a lower through an ffl?

If both pass what should I do?

Sorry if this type of post is frowned upon and I understand that this is not the place for official legal counsel. I have been trying to follow everything going on but it has become cumbersome.

Also, sorry if this was posted in the wrong place.
    Thanks everyone.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    If you are building from an 80% lower and you have a .300 upper (HBAR or otherwise), You aren’t serializing the lower because it’s an 80%, nor is the upper anything affected by the HBAR bill if it passes intact (which we hope it dies a painful death in committee). So what are you worried about exactly?

If you want to remain within the law then wait till the end of the session and see if anything gets passed that would affect you.

As of right now from everything we are seeing, 80%. Builds will not be included in the Final language of the ghost gun bill (in second reader on the house floor today) and the 300 upper isn’t considered an AR so HBAR or not it’s legal. I Am Not A Lawyer, so I would definitely use the search function on here to build your knowledge base up.

And if I can make a very urgent suggestion. If you have a second to call Your Delegate to oppose HB 786 Rifles & Shotguns - Secondary Transactions & HB 740 Computer Aided Fabrication.
    These two sound like they will be voted on today so calling is your best option.

And second suggestion. Please take this as an in kind recommendation. As someone new, with a screen name that is maybe questionable (you have left in the name) and your first few posts, are asking fairly detailed questions on topics that could raise some red flags to anyone who may otherwise be willing to answer. Perception is everything. So I would encourage you to join in on the bill threads, build you post count up so we can get to know you better and where you stand on issues other than 2A related topics. And as always, thanks for joining and being a part of the 2A here in MD.

I’ve only been a member for a little bit myself but felt compelled to join in the fun in Annapolis this year to take the fight back to those who wish to disarm us one piece of paper at a time. Hope this helps and again, please understand I am coming from a place of compassion and general willingness to help. Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcleftnut

May 14, 2015
    Salisbury
    If you are building from an 80% lower and you have a .300 upper (HBAR or otherwise), You aren’t serializing the lower because it’s an 80%, nor is the upper anything affected by the HBAR bill if it passes intact (which we hope it dies a painful death in committee). So what are you worried about exactly?

If you want to remain within the law then wait till the end of the session and see if anything gets passed that would affect you.

As of right now from everything we are seeing, 80%. Builds will not be included in the Final language of the ghost gun bill (in second reader on the house floor today) and the 300 upper isn’t considered an AR so HBAR or not it’s legal. I Am Not A Lawyer, so I would definitely use the search function on here to build your knowledge base up.

And if I can make a very urgent suggestion. If you have a second to call Your Delegate to oppose HB 786 Rifles & Shotguns - Secondary Transactions & HB 740 Computer Aided Fabrication.
    These two sound like they will be voted on today so calling is your best option.

And second suggestion. Please take this as an in kind recommendation. As someone new, with a screen name that is maybe questionable (you have left in the name) and your first few posts, are asking fairly detailed questions on topics that could raise some red flags to anyone who may otherwise be willing to answer. Perception is everything. So I would encourage you to join in on the bill threads, build you post count up so we can get to know you better and where you stand on issues other than 2A related topics. And as always, thanks for joining and being a part of the 2A here in MD.

I’ve only been a member for a little bit myself but felt compelled to join in the fun in Annapolis this year to take the fight back to those who wish to disarm us one piece of paper at a time. Hope this helps and again, please understand I am coming from a place of compassion and general willingness to help. Jeff

I had Epididymitis at 17. It made my left testical hurt. It's a silly rap nick name for me.

I have posted on the introduction paige. I am trying to read all I can. Sorry for bothering you.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    I had Epididymitis at 17. It made my left testical hurt. It's a silly rap nick name for me.

I have posted on the introduction paige. I am trying to read all I can. Sorry for bothering you.

Bud you’re not bothering me at all. I thought i did a pretty good job of explaining why you might not get many responses and was encouraging you to participate here. Was I Not? If I wasn’t clear on that. I apologize.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mcleftnut, you are no bother and I am sure no one will even make any jokes about the Epid.... Screen name. I think it takes balls!!!

I have an inkling what that Epid... is as I once met a fella who had some issues down there and I could only feel as if not to wish that experience on any man.
    Now back on topic of a HQL for a Pistol type Hbar, I will have to defer to some more legal eagle types to answer you.

Sadly, in 2014 I had to buckle to the KING of MD who made that HQL law and all it's hoops once I learned I was now required to PASS the TEST so to speak. I learned about this BS HQL after I bought a handgun at auction and contacted my FFL who has processed auction purchases for me in the past. When I called to ask my FFL how long the paperwork etc etc would take before I could pay them and take it home, I was hit harder than a 454 Cassul kicks as the lady asked " do I have my handgun license?"
    My reply was "I have my gun collector's status from MSP, is that what you mean?"

Pretty sure you guys know the rest of the story. She tells me as of Oct 2013 we subjects of Md are no longer deemed worthy to own a handgun despite passing all the checks and background info of no drunk, no psycho, no domestic abuse, menace to society paperwork questions. My already costly purchase of a nice pistol was about to get even more expensive as I found out I must get fingerprinted, pass some training requirement, and basically beg for my right to OWN my purchase, BS HQL.

Good luck and enjoy your build despite the snowflakes trying to make you into a villain.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Both my nuts hurt , from the constant pressure the MGA , Moms and the azz-hole liberals want to charge me with crimes I did not commit by proxy . But other then that I am fine . I am not real up to date on build laws but these folks answering do understand them and I trust them sharing correct information .

mcleftnut

May 14, 2015
    Salisbury
    Bud you’re not bothering me at all. I thought i did a pretty good job of explaining why you might not get many responses and was encouraging you to participate here. Was I Not? If I wasn’t clear on that. I apologize.

I just wasnt trying to cause a fuss on here. Never thought about my name having "left" in it

mcleftnut

May 14, 2015
    Salisbury
    Mcleftnut, you are no bother and I am sure no one will even make any jokes about the Epid.... Screen name. I think it takes balls!!!

I have an inkling what that Epid... is as I once met a fella who had some issues down there and I could only feel as if not to wish that experience on any man.
    Now back on topic of a HQL for a Pistol type Hbar, I will have to defer to some more legal eagle types to answer you.

Sadly, in 2014 I had to buckle to the KING of MD who made that HQL law and all it's hoops once I learned I was now required to PASS the TEST so to speak. I learned about this BS HQL after I bought a handgun at auction and contacted my FFL who has processed auction purchases for me in the past. When I called to ask my FFL how long the paperwork etc etc would take before I could pay them and take it home, I was hit harder than a 454 Cassul kicks as the lady asked " do I have my handgun license?"
    My reply was "I have my gun collector's status from MSP, is that what you mean?"

Pretty sure you guys know the rest of the story. She tells me as of Oct 2013 we subjects of Md are no longer deemed worthy to own a handgun despite passing all the checks and background info of no drunk, no psycho, no domestic abuse, menace to society paperwork questions. My already costly purchase of a nice pistol was about to get even more expensive as I found out I must get fingerprinted, pass some training requirement, and basically beg for my right to OWN my purchase, BS HQL.

Good luck and enjoy your build despite the snowflakes trying to make you into a villain.

Thanks for the props. I actually had to have an ultrasound on my testicles. I forgot the name of the medication but it was a muscle relaxer that ended up helping after multiple unsuccessful rounds of antibiotics.

Everything is so confusing and frustrating its ridiculous.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    We have had a lot of the other side hop on lately with illegal questions and weird requests. Not unlike detailed wuestions such as yours. Hence, the reason why some are leery. Asking you to do certain things like participate more can help cull the Horde. :). IIRC HQL is for puchasing a complete pistol. If you build one not needed. Hopefully others can correct me if wrong. Welcome aboard

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    I just wasnt trying to cause a fuss on here. Never thought about my name having "left" in it

It’s all good. I didn’t mean to cause a disturbance in the force. Everyone is sensitive this time of year with the infringers lurking about, to get the next set of bills ready for next year. I was just trying to provide context and it appears that it may have come across as callous. That was not my intention and I wanted to extend my heartfelt apology. Welcome to the shooter community and I hope that you will continue to contribute here.

mcleftnut

May 14, 2015
    Salisbury
    It’s all good. I didn’t mean to cause a disturbance in the force. Everyone is sensitive this time of year with the infringers lurking about, to get the next set of bills ready for next year. I was just trying to provide context and it appears that it may have come across as callous. That was not my intention and I wanted to extend my heartfelt apology. Welcome to the shooter community and I hope that you will continue to contribute here.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
    It just grinds my gears that those who do not want to do research my be deterred from becoming a part if the shooter community because of bills/laws like these.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Alright let me try to explain,
    I have an almost completed 80% ar lower (no buffer tube) and a semi complete 300 blackout 16" hbar upper (need proper barrel nut crows foot). Never been attached to eachother. I also do not have my HQL yet.

If you are building a rifle, no need for an HQL since you are not purchasing a handgun.

So, with all of these bills in the works I dont know how this would affect me.

For example, if the HBAR is banned but the 80% are still good I buy another barrel once I get the HQL and be ok?

If you are doing a .300 BO build the HBAR issue does not affect you. The law, as written and when written, only applies to AR-15 platform rifles in .223/5.56.

Or if the 80%s are banned and HBARS are not would I have to searalize(sp) mine or get a lower through an ffl?

No clue until we see the final version of the bill if/when it passes.

If both pass what should I do?

As mentioned above, build the 300 BO rifle with no issues.

Sorry if this type of post is frowned upon and I understand that this is not the place for official legal counsel. I have been trying to follow everything going on but it has become cumbersome.

Also, sorry if this was posted in the wrong place.
    Thanks everyone.

Not posted in the wrong place.

Don't try to understand Maryland laws, or you will end with a worse head ache than you did with your sack.

Welcome to the group and don't be afraid to ask more questions or pose suggestions, even if they seem really outside the box.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If you allow potential future legislation be your guide for building anything, you will never get anything accomplished. Build what you want that is currently legal. The Marylandistan Constitution contains a clause which is supposed to keep new laws from turning citizens into criminals for acts prior to passage. This should "grandfather" any builds completed prior to enactment.

Now, I am not an attorney and know that the lefties never let things like this deter their efforts to disarm us. Just saying, I think any challenge to a new law would clarify this protection. Laws are never supposed to "create" criminals!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Unless I am missing something here as well, an HQL is for Handgun purchasing. How does it apply to building an HBAR?

Also, welcome, mr Mcleftnut

He is probably confused with the HQL because it sounds like he is building up a 80% AR pistol. He said he does not have a buffer tube on it. Pretty hard to mount a stock without a buffer tube.

OP - you do NOT need an HQL to build your own handgun. You only need an HQL to buy a handgun or receive a handgun in a transfer. If the "transfer" bill passes, you will probably need one for a "loan" of a handgun from a friend.

As far as the rest of everything is concerned, once the session is over (i.e., Sine Die and tax season have come and gone) send me a PM and I will get more in depth with you regarding what the new laws actually are.

As far as a .300 BLK not being an AR, MSP and the AG have differing opinions on that. The hard right on here likes to follow the MSP version. The Courts have not decided this issue yet. That is about as far as I am going down that craphole right now. Let's see what gets passed and go from there.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If you allow potential future legislation be your guide for building anything, you will never get anything accomplished. Build what you want that is currently legal. The Marylandistan Constitution contains a clause which is supposed to keep new laws from turning citizens into criminals for acts prior to passage. This should "grandfather" any builds completed prior to enactment.

Now, I am not an attorney and know that the lefties never let things like this deter their efforts to disarm us. Just saying, I think any challenge to a new law would clarify this protection. Laws are never supposed to "create" criminals!

Good grief, here we go again with the ex post facto law argument. That loses on this HBAR bill and then, as a felon, you will really have to not comply if you want to possess a firearm.

They are making the act of possessing an HBAR illegal in the future. Believe it is 10/1/2019 and the bill would pass in April 2019, maybe May 2019. So, there is plenty of time for you to comply with the law before it actually goes into effect. It is not making prior conduct illegal, it is making future conduct of continuing to possess the HBAR illegal.

Way too many on here like to view laws as they see fit (i.e., allowing them to do what they really want to do, and it isn't just on tax law) and then give that advice to others as if it is gospel. I've had people come to me with ideas that they want to opinion shop among attorneys so they can blame some attorney when the SHTF. Breaks my heart to shoot them down once again, and it isn't just on 2A issues.

mcleftnut

May 14, 2015
    Salisbury
    He is probably confused with the HQL because it sounds like he is building up a 80% AR pistol. He said he does not have a buffer tube on it. Pretty hard to mount a stock without a buffer tube.

OP - you do NOT need an HQL to build your own handgun. You only need an HQL to buy a handgun or receive a handgun in a transfer. If the "transfer" bill passes, you will probably need one for a "loan" of a handgun from a friend.

As far as the rest of everything is concerned, once the session is over (i.e., Sine Die and tax season have come and gone) send me a PM and I will get more in depth with you regarding what the new laws actually are.

As far as a .300 BLK not being an AR, MSP and the AG have differing opinions on that. The hard right on here likes to follow the MSP version. The Courts have not decided this issue yet. That is about as far as I am going down that craphole right now. Let's see what gets passed and go from there.

Thank you.

I feel silly because I didnt know I did NOT need a HQL to build a handgun for ME.

I stopped building due to lost parts and being busy.

And I had read things about the 300 blackout being a topic of varying opinions as well. Just thought I should put that in there for good measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom