• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRB157

Dec 2, 2016
    I’m lookin at barrels and have noticed the majority don’t actually just say hbar on them. Is there something I can look for on them to see if they are an hbar. Is there a certain weight on each? Like I was looking at spikes tactical and when I typed hbar in they only had a 20” barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I’m lookin at barrels and have noticed the majority don’t actually just say hbar on them. Is there something I can look for on them to see if they are an hbar. Is there a certain weight on each? Like I was looking at spikes tactical and when I typed hbar in they only had a 20” barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There really is no actual determining factor for what is and what is not an H-bar set forth by the lovely state of Merryland.

Now that we have that out of the way, an H-bar(by Md standards) is any barrel roll marked as an H-bar(physically engraved as such) or any barrel that is commercially advertised as such. The latter being a bit of a sticky wicket, in that you'll want evidentiary proof of this for your records.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    An intentionally vague law designed to instill BGOS in all fans of EBRs.

Here we are, four years into FSA2013, and folks are still confused.

The MGA dun good.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    The barrel will need to be stamped HBAR or heavy contour. Also from my understanding the manufacturers specs/site must say HBAR/Heavy Barrel despite it obviously being a heavy barrel or not. Best to screen shot and print such just in case for your records..
    I remember an AR I was interested in was obviously a heavy barrel but no where indicated it was, making the sale here beyond a grey area and not technically legal. Best option would be to consult with your preferred FFL and run it by them to see if it meets the state requirements

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    An intentionally vague law designed to instill BGOS in all fans of EBRs.

Here we are, four years into FSA2013, and folks are still confused.

The MGA dun good.

Indeed, another small victory for them.. Can't round them up and ban them completely (yet) so let's just make it extremely vague and eliminate 99% of the available models on the market.

I remember going to cabelas to buy 1 of 2 heavy barrel options they had as I had several gift cards to use..
    Drove all the way over to Delaware since no one answered their phones at all and website said limited store stock.. However they only had the model with the 30rd capacity mag included so they refused to sell it to me per SOP even though I requested they keep the mag.. It was comical that they are completely ok with me walking over to the magpul bin and buying their entire stock of 30 rounders but refuse to sell me this one "md approved" rifle with one 30 rd mag included.
    I was not in a good mood that day to say the least, cabelas corporate could not care less, another win for the FSA2013

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The barrel will need to be stamped HBAR or heavy contour. Also from my understanding the manufacturers specs/site must say HBAR/Heavy Barrel despite it obviously being a heavy barrel or not. Best to screen shot and print such just in case for your records..
    I remember an AR I was interested in was obviously a heavy barrel but no where indicated it was, making the sale here beyond a grey area and not technically legal. Best option would be to consult with your preferred FFL and run it by them to see if it meets the state requirements

The barrel does not need to be stamped. The manufacturer must market it as HBAR.

If its the thread i am thinking of, that rifle was not marketed or stamped HBAR.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    The barrel does not need to be stamped. The manufacturer must market it as HBAR.

If its the thread i am thinking of, that rifle was not marketed or stamped HBAR.

Problem is many models/sku's become discontinued, therefore best practice would be to make sure spec sheet is printed out, screenshot/documented to be advertised as such in the unlikely event you had to prove so down the road, if it's not stamped. Down right shame to go that far when it's blatantly not a pencil barrel with someone's own two eyes

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The LAW says, HBAR are legal.

MSP has put out guidance that HBAR marked or advertised is an HBAR.

So far there has been no test of the MSP guidance. Of course, it will not be fun (or cheap) to be the test case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom