• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARGuy87

Nov 20, 2012
    Would it be illegal to install a flash suppressor since it already has a folding stock? Or am I interpreting the law incorrectly?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You cannot install the flash hider. You have a detachable magazine and a folding stock.....

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If it is a semi auto, centerfire rifle, then NO, you cannot add the flash suppressor.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Be careful though on what is a brake and what is a flash hider. Sometimes it is not totally clear which is which.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I have one on my OPAP and VEPR. It's well made and looks good IMO, but can't really say that I've noticed much in the way of recoil reduction with any .30 brake. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

FWIW, I'd buy another.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Any opinions on the Definitive arms fighter break?

It states in the description that it reduces muzzle flash, so it's a no go if you have a folding stock

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170403-212259.jpg
      Screenshot_20170403-212259.jpg
      51.7 KB · Views: 347

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So the leagal definition of a flash suppressor is based on manufactures claims?

Just like HBAR is, yes.

I'd imagine in a court of law you might be able to stand up expert witness testimony of what qualifies a muzzle device as a flash suppressor and test results of the product in question showing it does not sufficiently reduce muzzle flash to be legal identified as a flash suppressor.

Though I don't see anyone posting test results. Heck there may not even be any standardized tests for flash suppression.

I'd go with how the manufacturer advertises their product. Do they call it a flash suppressor? No? Next check. Do they list in their product description that it reduces muzzle flash? No? Good to go.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    So the leagal definition of a flash suppressor is based on manufactures claims?

I believe it is actually defined as a device that reduces the muzzle flash, whether designed to do so or not. That's why suppressors are also classified as flash hiders.

I think the manufacturer's description is the easiest test.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    “FLASH SUPPRESSOR” MEANS A DEVICE THAT FUNCTIONS, OR IS INTENDED TO FUNCTION, TO PERCEPTIBLY REDUCE OR REDIRECT MUZZLE FLASH FROM THE SHOOTER’S FIELD OF VISION.

If a device reduces flash, or is intended to reduce flash and does not, it is a flash hider.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    From '94-'04 during the Clinton AWB, the ATF Technical Branch regularly made determinations about specific muzzle devices were flash hiders vs muzzle brakes . Md does not specifically recognize the ATF rulings, but would probably be strong evidence in your defence at a trial.

Usual disclaimers about volunteering to be test case.

raider80

Nov 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    It states in the description that it reduces muzzle flash, so it's a no go if you have a folding stock

This is a description I can only find on Ak operators union store. Copper Custom and Definitive arms descripes as "Great Affordable Alternatives to Typical AK-Style Slant-Brakes, and Muzzle Nuts"

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Isn't the stock muzzle device considered a muzzle brake?
    myself I agree with this.

Slant AK brakes are brakes. AK74 style muzzle devices also appear to be brakes to me too, but I am no expert.

You can be assured MD will apply to most restrictive interpretation they can come up with, and you don't want to be the test case.

My bulgy has a fixed stock so my brake does not worry me, but if you have a folding stock you should be sure of your muzzle device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom