• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    There was always a process, just as arbitrary as this,.... they know it when they see it. They still only (really) "know it" when they see it.

LOL......as John Lubbock said....there is a fine line between optimism and naivety. "What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I see what I see, they're miserable fvcks, they'll do anything to keep things as they are or even worse. How anyone would see it differently is a mystery to me.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Guys, I see this as progress because (as dblas said) their SOP is now on the Interwebz for all to see and find fault with. Prior to this I recall bitching because there was NO SOP available for the "secret process" the MSP used to deny permit requests. We've also seen an SOP for the HPRB appear very recently almost out of thin air so to speak.

Makes me think maybe some people would cry about the Second Coming because it would spoil their Sunday morning plans.

But I also think MSP is perhaps being a bit sly by using us as a quasi-legal resource to find flaws to help update their SOP at little or no cost to them. Maybe?

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Guys, I see this as progress because (as dblas said) their SOP is now on the Interwebz for all to see and find fault with. Prior to this I recall bitching because there was NO SOP available for the "secret process" the MSP used to deny permit requests. We've also seen an SOP for the HPRB appear very recently almost out of thin air so to speak.

Makes me think maybe some people would cry about the Second Coming because it would spoil their Sunday morning plans.

But I also think MSP is perhaps being a bit sly by using us as a quasi-legal resource to find flaws to help update their SOP at little or no cost to them. Maybe?

The SOP on the interweb is nothing new.....here is a link to the previous SOP that was replaced following this year's annual review.....

http://aggregator.us/read.php?url=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5tZHNwLm9yZy9Eb2N1bWVudCUyMERvd25sb2Fkcy9TT1BQcm9jZXNzaW5nTURhbmRGZWRlcmFsTGF3RW5mb3JjZW1lbnRPZmZpY2Vyc1dlYXJhbmRDYXJyeVBlcm1pdGZpbmFsLnBkZg==

Without some pretty definitive proof, I seriously doubt the MSP is using MD Shooters as a legal resource.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    It's interesting to note that the SOP posted on the web has some contradictions when compared to the application instructions (MSP Form 29-01 Rev 12/2012). An example is on the form, it says "Personal Protection: There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported by official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses." yet the SOP makes no mention of notarized statements.

Perhaps this is another area that can be exploited, conflicting information being provided to the public.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Does anyone have the old language for a business owner/employee restriction? How does it compare to the new language? My impression is that the new language is both clearer and broader. Comments? It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison of each category of the old vs the new.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Does anyone have the old language for a business owner/employee restriction? How does it compare to the new language? My impression is that the new language is both clearer and broader. Comments? It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison of each category of the old vs the new.
    I have had mine modified but IIRC it is something like "to and from the business and while actively engaged in financial business transactions".

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    And, no one really needed any further proof. :sad20:

Wheres my squirrel jpg, I can hear him squeaking about some backroom campaign promises right now! :rolleyes:

squirrel%20laughing.gif

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I have had mine modified but IIRC it is something like "to and from the business and while actively engaged in financial business transactions".

So the new language omits the limitation for financial transactions. That's a definite improvement

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

Valid only between residence, XXXX Business, or when actively involved in financial business transactions as Owner of same” Then add the required language of only Maryland Only and not valid where firearms are prohibited.

This also removes the ambiguity as to what constitutes being at the business means when your business is not in a fixed location but instead moves around.

My request to have mine changed to the new language will be in the mail in about 20 minutes.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Valid only between residence, XXXX Business, or when actively involved in financial business transactions as Owner of same” Then add the required language of only Maryland Only and not valid where firearms are prohibited.

This also removes the ambiguity as to what constitutes being at the business means when your business is not in a fixed location but instead moves around.

My request to have mine changed to the new language will be in the mail in about 20 minutes.

Excellent. This removes a lot of legal jeopardy for this class of restrictions

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

I believe he was asking for the SOP language to prove a business need for a wear and carry permit, not the language of the restrictions.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Interesting read. I did notice that MD State Police still use LOTUS NOTES.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...essing of Handgun Permit Applications (1).pdf

Does anyone have a current link for these SOPs? The above link does not work.

Update ... Just had to search... http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document D...essing of Handgun Permit Applications (1).pdfhttp://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document%20Downloads/S.O.P.%2029-15-007%20-%20Processing%20of%20Handgun%20Permit%20Applications%20%281%29.pdf

According the the SOP this SOP Should have been reviewed 9/04/2016 any update?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07