• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Apparently, while at work today, Sen. Brochin's office called my home asking for me. They apparently were calling to request that I write a letter in support of SB136...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I've gotten the same call twice. Once on 2/11 by a staffer and again today from another.

It's a good bill. I'm submitting testimony and testifying in person.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Just a reminder...

Prohibiting the earning of diminution credits to reduce the term of confinement of an inmate committed to the custody of the Commissioner of Correction or sentenced to a term of imprisonment in a local correctional facility who is serving a sentence for the use of specified firearms in the commission of specified crimes; prohibiting a court from suspending any part of a mandatory minimum sentence of five years; and applying the Act prospectively.

While we want this in general, be careful that Brochin is trying to appease the 2A crowd. I just don't know why.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    While he's no-doubt suspect and forever on the shit lists for many, this should not be sunk or unsupported because of that. A broken watch is right twice a day, after all...

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Just a reminder...

While we want this in general, be careful that Brochin is trying to appease the 2A crowd. I just don't know why.

Brochin is the senator that rushed outside of the room last year to explain why he could not support this same bill two years ago. Something about it "not being a good time". This was after I called him out about being against it in 2013 and then for it in 2014. He is a weasel. I do not trust him at all, but will gladly take advantage of his desperation for support.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Isn't this the exact same law that was culled out of the False Security Act of 2013?
    The only part of that CF that actually made sense and would impact crime?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Smoke and mirrors bill, for the most part. The judges will sentence people to whatever they want. 95% of the time this charge will be plead out and nolle pros'd as part of the agreement before trial. In the few cases you do see a guilty on it, the judges will just deduct whatever they want off the sentences for the non-related crimes to come up with the same sentence. Personally I doubt this will have much real world effect besides giving Brochin something to brag about. I wouldn't give that whiny rat bastard the time of day if I were standing next to a clock. Just my opinions. No offense meant to anyone else.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    I wouldn't give that whiny rat bastard the time of day if I were standing next to a clock. Just my opinions. No offense meant to anyone else.

No offense taken here.
    Can I buy you a beer?

I plan to testify in support of the bill with some amendments. I agree it won't have much, if any, real world impact but suggesting it be broadened to include any weapon, not just firearms, might be a step toward focusing on the behavior rather than the tool used.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Smoke and mirrors bill, for the most part. The judges will sentence people to whatever they want. 95% of the time this charge will be plead out and nolle pros'd as part of the agreement before trial. In the few cases you do see a guilty on it, the judges will just deduct whatever they want off the sentences for the non-related crimes to come up with the same sentence. Personally I doubt this will have much real world effect besides giving Brochin something to brag about. I wouldn't give that whiny rat bastard the time of day if I were standing next to a clock. Just my opinions. No offense meant to anyone else.

This has nothing to do with sentencing and everything to do with good time credits they can earn while serving their time.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    This has nothing to do with sentencing and everything to do with good time credits they can earn while serving their time.

What he's saying is, that the charge this bill would modify(to remove the ability to earn credits), is often bargained away by prosecutors. Or if the perp is convicted of this charge, the judge will lessen the sentence given for other charges knowing this one will be held to the maximum.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Is there any type of felony that was created in FSA2013 for owning certain types of firearms or any simple felonies that can trip up legal gun owners? 5 years hard time for firearm violations with no parole is a gun grabbers wet dream. Something does not seem right.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What he's saying is, that the charge this bill would modify(to remove the ability to earn credits), is often bargained away by prosecutors. Or if the perp is convicted of this charge, the judge will lessen the sentence given for other charges knowing this one will be held to the maximum.

I understand what he was saying, and the prosecutor and judge have no say on "good time credits that can be earned under the corrections system once the person has been sentenced.

And even if someone gets the maximum for a charge, they are still eligible for good time credits in the corrections system. This bill would remove that ability.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Is there any type of felony that was created in FSA2013 for owning certain types of firearms or any simple felonies that can trip up legal gun owners? 5 years hard time for firearm violations with no parole is a gun grabbers wet dream. Something does not seem right.

This has nothing to do with parole, just the good time credits (getting out early for being a good boy), which are generally 2 days off of the sentence for each month you play by the rules in prison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom