• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    I have a Saiga 7.62 that I've had for a few years now and I don't really shoot it anymore. I would like to sell it...

I assume that I can no longer transfer it in Maryland. Is it possible to sell out of state? If so, is there anything special I need to do or do I just show up at an out of state FFL dealer and have them handle the transfer?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    ^ lol. that's all well and good until it ends up at a crime scene...unless I shave the serial # off...that's when you go to federal pound me in the ass prison :(

it is converted but I have all of the original components. the way the ban is written, it says "all kalashnikov formats" so I dunno.

maybe i should walk into the police barracks with it and see what they say...preferably not shouting Allah Akbar!

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    You could consign it in a PA shop, or put it in classifieds on pafoa.org with the caveat that it would have to go through a PA ffl since you live in MD.

How long do you plan on living in MD? Are you sure you'll never want another one as long as you live here?

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    i don't have any plans of moving out of maryland. i've lived here all my life.

i heard about an event called the kalashnikov kilometer at a gun club somewhere in PA but as far as I can tell, it's not around anymore. If an event like that were to pop up, I would be interested in keeping it.

otherwise, i enjoy shooting my ar much more and it's just taking up space in my safe and potential cash out of my wallet...

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    called the state police barracks who directed me to the md state licensing division but i haven't been able to call them yet. hopefully i'll have a chance tomorrow and i'll post the results here since i'm sure there are others in my situation.

it just sucks to own something worth a few hundred dollars that could potentially no longer be legal to sell...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can sell it via an FFL. Even an MD FFL can take it in, but they cannot sell it in MD.

Not all out of state will take direct transfers of firearms. So call and arrange it first.

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    Pinecone, you are correct. I just got off the line with the MD Firearms Licensing Division. 410.653.4500 if anyone has other questions.

They said that I will need to take it to a Maryland FFL who will then arrange a transfer to an out of state FFL dealer who will then complete the transfer to the recipient. So you most likely have to pay each of the dealers a transfer fee AND a shipping fee - WHICH as I know from experience, to ship firearms, you have to go directly to the UPS hub in Sparks to have it shipped so I doubt most dealers would bother. Honestly, it's probably worth waiting and crossing my fingers that the ban gets reversed lol.

Hopefully this info helps anyone else in my situation.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Actually that is not 100% correct.

YOU can ship it to an out of state FFL directly, if the FFL will accept it from you.

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    ok. Do I have to ship it or could I take the gun directly to the dealer and just do everything in person? I'm close to the PA border and would be willing to cross the line into VA to meet someone at a dealer as well.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    ok. Do I have to ship it or could I take the gun directly to the dealer and just do everything in person? I'm close to the PA border and would be willing to cross the line into VA to meet someone at a dealer as well.

FOPA covers you taking them over state lines to give them to a FFL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Either way.

Just contact the FFL first to make sure they will accept it directly from you.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Mike Sipes, Hanover Shooter Supply just over the MD/PA line 717-451-6922. See if he'll sell it on consignment for you. Tell him I told you to call,

Good luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom