• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    When is the dead line for written testimony ? I am definitely more of a writer than a public speaker. I like to have time to formulate my ideas...much more introverted. I regret that I will not make it to Annapolis, but I definitely want to try to write a few things.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Anyone not able to attend and wishing to submit written testimony can send it to [B]marylandtestimony@nrahq.org[/B] .

E-mails with written testimony sent to the above e-mail address will be printed out and the appropriate amount of copies made for the respective committee and delivered by the timeline.

Pdf or doc/docx is preferred to speed up the process of making copies and the deadline to use the above e-mail is March 8 at midnight. This will give the staff plenty of time to get the copies made and delivered to Annapolis.

This will be like last year, with the difference being the NRA-ILA is graciously donating their time and resources to support papering the House Judiciary Committee and the Senate Judicial Proceedings committees.

... or noon on Mar. 10 if attending the committee hearing.(unless you are not)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Looks like they resolved this. My last attempt at 12:30pm went through..

Yep, they had a tech issue and have since fixed it...

Fire it up folks.

We delivered 8000+ pages of written testimony tot he House Judiciary Committee last year, let's try to smash that number in both committees.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    ... or noon on Mar. 10 if attending the committee hearing.(unless you are not)

and Noon on March 12th if you are attending the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee hearing. (if you are not attending either hearing, the deadline is still March 8 at Midnight for the NRA e-mail address)

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    and Noon on March 12th if you are attending the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee hearing. (if you are not attending either hearing, the deadline is still March 8 at Midnight for the NRA e-mail address)

If attending but dont send to that email (testimony is one page and attachments bring it to 5 pages) how many copies are needed for the Senate ?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If attending but dont send to that email (testimony is one page and attachments bring it to 5 pages) how many copies are needed for the Senate ?

20 copies for Senate

35 copies forHoue

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Your Name
    Your Address
    Somewhere, MD. 20135
    Registered (Dem. or Rep.)
    District (#)

Testimony to the House Judiciary Committee

In Favor of HB xx

Members of the Judiciary Committee

I respectfully request a FAVORABLE report on HB xx.

Thank you,

Your Name
    If I am Unaffiliated, should I omit the bolded above or put Registered Voter?

Mr H

Banana'd
    I'm finally getting around to some letter-writing (I know...)

Folks have expressed interest the past couple years (and thanks to the OP for opening this up) in borrowing (not plagiarizing this time, please!) some of my thoughts and ideas. So, I'll be posting the ones I feel most helpful, and encourage others to do the same.

A general letter to all the General Assembly (OK, not Pam Beidel, as we broke up;)):
    I've not had an opportunity recently to put some thoughts down to share with you about my impression of the current state of things in Maryland... but today is as good as any, and better late than never.

The 2014 election was an interesting time, as I (along with many others who have never been politically active) saw a need to become much more involved in helping shape a better state for my grandchildren. I took time to work with candidates here in District 32, as well as make an effort to speak to several people running countywide, and especially having an opportunity for a lengthy conversation with Governor Hogan.

In my travels around the state as advocate for Constitutional governance, I have seen a shift in the mindset of many Marylanders. As they have come to understand what condition our local economies are in, the effect of the state's profligate spending (only to be backed up by additional taxes and fees), and the purposeful infringements by state and local governments in their daily lives, it has become very clear to them that change was sorely needed. Thus, the 2014 elections were more than just a changing of the guard in the Governor's Mansion, but also a watershed moment on a larger scale.

Changes have now been made where none thought them possible. Long-term Delegates and Senators were either replaced or barely retained their seats. The electorate has been made aware that we have been heading down a destructive and dangerous path for the better part of the past 30 to 40 years, and now they better understand that this is a state where their voices can matter. I am proud to have helped make that happen, along with thousands of others.

I will continue to work in my community to make these changes even more profound, and to spread the word statewide that further changes are not only needed, but possible. The "Plan Maryland" course must be left, and soon, if we are to remain a free, viable, and prosperous state. As you continue through the 2015 Assembly, I urge you all to remember that the people are your charge--not your subjects--and they are paying closer attention than ever before.

Sincerely,

-me-
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Democrat, District 32

Mr H

Banana'd
    Well, I got through a dozen of them I feel matter most...

HB25
    With the implementation of the (euphemistically named) Firearm Safety Act of 2013, lawful firearms owners have been hampered in their ability not only to purchase and use their preferred arms, but also in their capability to adequately maintain them in a safe manner by not being unable to replace a worn or broken receiver or frame (the “firearm” by Federal definition).

As the law stands now, a recreational shooter or hunter might well be tempted to use such a part beyond its normal usable life (or if damaged), presenting a grave safety issue to the shooter or others.

This bill is a fair balance and compromise which would allow a firearms owner that opportunity. Even though the bill would still require registration of the replacement receiver or frame, it is no more onerous than the current Form 77R process, and should satisfy all parties.

I thereby urge a favorable report on HB0025

HB39/SB736
    I will not re-hash the ground that has been covered regarding the colossal failure that has been the Maryland State Police new handgun “Shell Casing” program. The details on the shortcomings and infeasible nature of the process were laid out in excruciating detail last session.

Additionally, the program is little more than an additional encumbrance on not only handgun purchasers, but also dealers and manufacturers, who are forced to participate to no benefit for anyone.

Therefore, I will simply offer that the budgetary savings associated with the program's abolishment will far outweigh the [nonexistent] risks, and the MSP resources currently committed to this fiasco can be reallocated to greater benefit.

I encourage a favorable report.

HB160
    Currently, when a person purchases a handgun in the state of Maryland, it is required that it either be manufactured with an internal locking mechanism, or be sold with some type of integral, in-barrel device before it can be removed from the store.

Not only do most manufacturers not build handguns this way, but the purchase of these devices adds unnecessary cost and inconvenience for both buyer and seller. Plus, from both personal and anecdotal experience, there are dealer staff who not even understand the requirement well enough to fully comply with it.

A simplification, such as proposed with this bill, would allow a purchaser to bring any qualified locking device in order to complete the purchase (most simply a cable lock or trigger guard lock), eliminating excess cost. In short, “locked is locked,” and therefore unusable in that state.

I urge a favorable report, in the name of simplicity.

HB306
    In 2013, in a knee-jerk political response to tragedies perpetrated by madmen, then-Governor O'Malley ramrodded the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 through the General Assembly. This Act had nothing to do with actual safety, and everything to do with the complete infringement of Marylanders' Second Amendment Rights.

There was immense opposition to this, and people showed in record numbers to oppose this draconian Rights infringement. As one of the key organizers of the gatherings, I can honestly say I have never been more proud of my home state than on those days. Maryland woke up, and we're paying better attention than ever before.

We worked with the Committees, and fought back many of the restrictions wanted by the Governor. In fact, we know that rules were broken, arms twisted, and witnesses intimidated in order to get the bill twist-tied together and passed.

Since then, there have been several lawsuits brought to rein in the effects of FSA13. Most have been successful, some are yet to be fully adjudicated. The cost to both the state and the opposing organizations could be avoided by simply correcting the gross error and infringement that is FSA13.

I strongly urge a favorable report on this bill. I know we are ready to back it.

HB417
    It is a sad state of affairs, when there is a perceived need for a law—in the United States, no less—to protect free people, conducting their lives lawfully, from an Orwellian “surveillance state”.

But, sadly, the willingness of the modern governmental structure to create criminals where there are none exists. So, then, does the need for this bill.

Passage of this bill would prevent the State from violating the Constitutional Rights of everyday, law-abiding people. It is regrettable, but it has already been proven a very real possibility.

Please issue a favorable report on this bill.

HB432
    In recent years, it has become increasingly evident that the Constitutional Right of self-protection is being recognized and embraced across the country. As we sit here today, even states like Illinois and California (and the District of Columbia, no less) have had to be forced through the Courts to recognize the Rights guaranteed us under the Second Amendment of the US Constitution.

Yet here in Maryland, the general citizenry is routinely and institutionally denied these Rights, requiring us to prove an arbitrary and capricious standard of some “Good & Substantial” reason in order to legally perform the basic human obligation of protecting one's self and family.

As a statewide advocate for 2A Rights, I explain to people regularly that it seems the state will only grant wear and carry permits for any reason the State Police feels is more valuable than their lives. Should not the Right's existence be cause enough for the issuance of a permit to an otherwise law-abiding person? Our families deserve no less.

The general issuance of permits to law-abiding citizens is not a problem anywhere in the nation. In fact, the rate of acts of violence committed by the general population who have carry permits is negligible. Chicago police—in arguably one of our most dangerous cities—have stated that Illinois' new carry program is essentially of no concern.

Lawful gun owners are the responsible people we prefer to see in our daily lives. If we are allowed the option to carry for nothing more than self-protection, we all will benefit.

I urge a favorable report on this bill, to help bring a safer Maryland back in line with the remainder of the country.

HB464/SB454
    Across the Nation, states are understanding the role of self-defense as a fundamental, Constitutionally guaranteed Right. They are embracing the concept of lawful concealed carry of handguns as a basic human obligation; not only for their own citizens, but for those of other states as well.

To that end, these states (let's call them “America”) have adopted reciprocity agreements which allow people to freely travel among the several states (in America), and not have to leave their Second Amendment rights at the border. However, here in Maryland, these sorts of freedoms do not currently apply.

When our residents travel, we are forced to obtain a means of self protection by way of non-resident carry permits from other states, and take advantage of those freedoms where we may. However, when other states' citizens travel from America to Maryland, they are barred from exercising the Rights they so dearly enjoy elsewhere.

Lawful concealed carriers pose no greater risk with a concealed firearm on their person, than they do simply walking down a street.

I ask for a favorable report on the bill, for America's sake.

HB767/SB100
    In recent years, it has become increasingly evident that the Constitutional Right of self-protection is being recognized and embraced across the country. As we sit here today, even states like Illinois and California (and the District of Columbia, no less) have had to be forced through the Courts to recognize the Rights guaranteed us under the Second Amendment of the US Constitution.

Yet here in Maryland, the general citizenry is routinely and institutionally denied these Rights, requiring us to prove an arbitrary and capricious standard of some “Good & Substantial” reason in order to legally perform the basic human obligation of protecting one's self and family.

As a statewide advocate for 2A Rights, I explain to people regularly that it seems the state will only grant wear and carry permits for any reason the State Police feels is more valuable than their lives. Should not “self defense” be at least as important as a prescription pad? Should we not be permitted to protect our grandchildren should a need arise?

The general issuance of permits to law-abiding citizens is not a problem anywhere in the nation. In fact, the rate of acts of violence committed by the general population who have carry permits is negligible. Chicago police—in arguably one of our most dangerous cities—have stated that Illinois' new carry program is essentially of no concern.

Lawful gun owners are the responsible people we prefer to see in our daily lives. If we are allowed the option to carry for nothing more than self-protection, we all will benefit.

I urge a favorable report on this bill, to help bring a safer Maryland back in line with the remainder of the country.

SB136
    While I see some good things in this bill that might be incorporated into state law in the future, I cannot at this time consider it good for Maryland.

As the primary sponsor is Sen. Brochin, I must oppose it on general principle.

Sen. Brochin has become unbelievable and untrustworthy, particularly in the firearms community. We have made a point of calling him out on his deceit and treachery, and cannot believe him when he states he now sees the need to put the voice of the people first.

Therefore, I request an unfavorable report.

bigc1301

Apr 12, 2013
    Sorry for waiting til last minute but do you need to sign the written testimony? Sorry this my first time

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom