• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailor

Sep 20, 2007
    I was told that sometime in the past 2 years, bad guys were staking out indoor gun ranges. They tailed people leaving. When those people stopped to eat and went inside- The bad guys broke into the car and stole the guns. The people reported it, and later the bad guys were caught. Then the people who went in to eat were charged with breaking gun laws. ANYONE KNOW WHEN THIS OCCURRED? ANYONE HAVE MORE DETAILS?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Don’t know about the instances of gun owners being arrested but heard plenty is stories where they had hand guns stolen after NOT goin directly home and NOT being arrested. Look up handling of regulated fire arms. Legally you have to travel from home to range and back home. Not so with unregulated long guns. Regulated long guns would be those regulated prior to oct 2013 of course and possessed legally (grandfathered)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I know one of the people who had a pistol stolen after leaving TMGN and not going straight home. He wasn’t arrested. The dickbag that stole his gun was.

Adam Conover

Aug 6, 2013
    I am also unfamiliar with such stories but for some reason I honestly wouldn't find it all that hard to believe if it happened to be true. Any crime that involves a gun seems to turn law enforcement in Maryland into overdrive. This is one of the reasons I became a designated collector. Although it still doesn't permit you to travel at will with a gun in the car it does afford a few extra exemptions from the strict transport laws. Not that it would have helped in this instance, if it even happened, but still good to have every layer of legal protection you can get. I hope it didn't actually happen.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I also have heard several such stories in which the gun owners were NOT arrested. In one case a guy went to Continental on his lunch break, then back to his office. At the end of the day he found his car broken into and his pistol stolen. Police never breathed a word about arresting him.

If this report from Frederick is true, we'll have to see how it plays out. It would be good to have a source.

There is nothing in Maryland law about direct travel or travel without stops or side trips.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I am also unfamiliar with such stories but for some reason I honestly wouldn't find it all that hard to believe if it happened to be true. Any crime that involves a gun seems to turn law enforcement in Maryland into overdrive. This is one of the reasons I became a designated collector. Although it still doesn't permit you to travel at will with a gun in the car it does afford a few extra exemptions from the strict transport laws. Not that it would have helped in this instance, if it even happened, but still good to have every layer of legal protection you can get. I hope it didn't actually happen.

NO. The Designated Collector letter does NOT offer you any exemptions/extra leeway whatsoever with regard to transporting a handgun in MD. It’s only purpose is to allow you to buy more than one handgun in a 30 day period.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    NO. The Designated Collector letter does NOT offer you any exemptions/extra leeway whatsoever with regard to transporting a handgun in MD. It’s only purpose is to allow you to buy more than one handgun in a 30 day period.

People see to get confused as to what having a DC letter gets you. As you said, the SOLE purpose is to exempt you from the 1/30 day period BS! Only in Marylinistan!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom