• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Keep us posted on clean-up. From what I've read, SKS bolt body retaining pins come in two varieties: easy to remove and atomically bonded. My 59/66 definitely fell in the latter category. No amount of soaking, heat and vise application worked. Brute force and tyranny of will won out, though. Good luck.

Came out very easily. Punch with a rubber mallet got it out in no time. Pressed it back in with a felt-padded vise. bolt body and all components are 100% cosmo-free at this point. Heading back home with a painter's heat gun to melt away more cosmoline today. Trying to get it in firing shape by EOD so I can hit up Creesap tomorrow.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Okay, got it cleaned up. Will take it to Creesap tomorrow to see how it does. Bore is excellent with strong lands and grooves all the way to the muzzle (plainly visible with excellent crown). Early enough in production to be a chromed chamber and barrel which is excellent as well. As I said, most of the bluing is worn on the exposed metal leaving between 5-15% across those areas. However, once you get to where it wasn't rubbing against someone's uniform or hands over and over again, it is deeply blue with ZERO rust anywhere on this thing. We know that these came via Albania through Foxtrot Lima up in NY as the import company, so chances are, being a '66 and all, it was part of the military aid shipments from Mao to Enver Hoxha and was carried around for guard duty or something. Given the wear and absolutely meticulous condition of the internals, barrel, etc. I can't think it would have been given to the civilian militia (no trench art) or seen much in the way of combat. Only oddity I found was a piece of twig up in the cleaning kit area of the stock. There are a few dings and dents. Only two gouges and I'm sure they're from storage and shipment. Cosmoline melted away with either my steamer, or my heat gun. Hit some of the areas that were more stubborn with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber to blast out any gunk, and then Remington solvent to catch any residue left behind. She's squeaky clean now. All in all, I'd say I got my money's worth from Classic on this one. All matching, good shape overall, no rust, machined trigger group. Not bad for what they were on sale for.

rqtwhut.jpg

0xCFj3L.jpg

DxFXsVh.jpg

3RmaTAm.jpg

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I got a Chinese from Classic, I noticed my sling attachment is on the side of the stock and not the bottom. Based on serial number mine is 1965.

I got a cracked stock model but the crack is not too bad. Missed matching nums only by the top cover! I’m happy for the money.

Attachments

• 9B56BDB1-B0E9-404E-ACED-087711159DB8.jpg
      9B56BDB1-B0E9-404E-ACED-087711159DB8.jpg
      156.2 KB · Views: 569

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I got a Chinese from Classic, I noticed my sling attachment is on the side of the stock and not the bottom. Based on serial number mine is 1965.

I got a cracked stock model but the crack is not too bad. Missed matching nums only by the top cover! I’m happy for the money.

SN on stock matches rest?

Asking, because 65s typically have the sling on the bottom. Is it a low SN for the millions range?

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    Ohhh! An outlier! You should definitely contact the guys over at the Chinese SKS guide. It's not super common to have the side-mounted sling swivel on a 10 million series Factory 26 gun.

The 10th year of production (1965) was another transition year. Both the side-mount and bottom-mount rear sling swivels are observed on carbines from this year.

From 11th year onward, all /26\ carbines had the bottom mounted swivel.

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    SN on stock matches rest?

Asking, because 65s typically have the sling on the bottom. Is it a low SN for the millions range?

The serial data at sks-files.com indicate that there were around 250,000 type56's produced in the 10th year, 1965. This would place the carbine's date production in the middle phase of production for that year.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    A) That is in great shape IMO The wood is really nice.
    B) You did a great job cleaning it up.
    C) I love good patina from honest and real life wear from usage. That looks great. Wish the Mosins were like that.

Okay, got it cleaned up. Will take it to Creesap tomorrow to see how it does. Bore is excellent with strong lands and grooves all the way to the muzzle (plainly visible with excellent crown). Early enough in production to be a chromed chamber and barrel which is excellent as well. As I said, most of the bluing is worn on the exposed metal leaving between 5-15% across those areas. However, once you get to where it wasn't rubbing against someone's uniform or hands over and over again, it is deeply blue with ZERO rust anywhere on this thing. We know that these came via Albania through Foxtrot Lima up in NY as the import company, so chances are, being a '66 and all, it was part of the military aid shipments from Mao to Enver Hoxha and was carried around for guard duty or something. Given the wear and absolutely meticulous condition of the internals, barrel, etc. I can't think it would have been given to the civilian militia (no trench art) or seen much in the way of combat. Only oddity I found was a piece of twig up in the cleaning kit area of the stock. There are a few dings and dents. Only two gouges and I'm sure they're from storage and shipment. Cosmoline melted away with either my steamer, or my heat gun. Hit some of the areas that were more stubborn with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber to blast out any gunk, and then Remington solvent to catch any residue left behind. She's squeaky clean now. All in all, I'd say I got my money's worth from Classic on this one. All matching, good shape overall, no rust, machined trigger group. Not bad for what they were on sale for.

rqtwhut.jpg

0xCFj3L.jpg

DxFXsVh.jpg

3RmaTAm.jpg

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Syrian mas 49

New addition to my small family. Syrian contract mas 49. Matching stock, trigger guard, and bayonet. Unfortunately the bolt is a mismatch. Is anything else suppose to be numbered on these thing?

Attachments

• 20190906_225329.jpg
      20190906_225329.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 538
    • 20190906_225335.jpg
      20190906_225335.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 523

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Finally found a commercial Sauer 38H; late war finish, most of original finish intact. It has a magazine safety, mag release button, and a cocker-decocker lever. It can be fired double action, or the lever can be used to cock the action for single-action fire for the first shot. The lever can be used to decock as well. Eagle/N proof, no Nazi markings. Only flaw is a crack at the top of rt grip. 7.65mm

Attachments

• 20191017_143611_HDR_resized.jpg
      20191017_143611_HDR_resized.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 404
    Jul 1, 2012
    Finally found a commercial Sauer 38H; late war finish, most of original finish intact. It has a magazine safety, mag release button, and a cocker-decocker lever. It can be fired double action, or the lever can be used to cock the action for single-action fire for the first shot. The lever can be used to decock as well. Eagle/N proof, no Nazi markings. Only flaw is a crack at the top of rt grip. 7.65mm

Very nice, not an easy variation to find!
    Cracked grips are all too common though...
    I'd stabilize the crack from the back side if possible, and get a pair of repro grips if you plan to shoot it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Scratched a major itch in my collection today.....didnt have a GI 1911 and ended up with two courtesy of a forum member (thanks!). First up is a really really clean 1943 Ithaca correct slide, serial number, grips, inspector stamp and even a Scovill mag.

Second is a rebuild (RIA) Colt 1911 that tracks back to late 1918. Its a rebuild with some parked over pitting but fairly tight and definitely a Colt slide, frame and barrel. From the feel and wear I suspect it saw a lot of carry. This one will go to the range.

Attachments

• 100_2226.JPG
      100_2226.JPG
      70.2 KB · Views: 332
    • 100_2225.JPG
      100_2225.JPG
      73 KB · Views: 340
    • 100_2220.JPG
      100_2220.JPG
      63.3 KB · Views: 1,318
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread