• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For an example in various conditions from functional and fair or reblued to excellent for a 1909 what have you guys been seeing these days?

What about a 1917? Also if it matters what about a 1917 that was arsenal parkarized/refurbished? Any impact in value?

I won’t lie, I finally caught the episode on the 1909 and 1917 New Service revolvers and I have some desires.

I’ve got an OP and I want a big bore. The 1917 interests me a little more, probably because I don’t own 45LC or .45acp, but short of a tragic boating accident that results in me going overboard and never being recovered at a young age, I will own a 1911 some day. Other than a 1909 I don’t really have an 45LC desires (or .454 Casull).

So the 1917 interests me more than the 1909 and of course there are a ton more 1917s.

No idea when I can, could or would run across one or can buy one. But I want a starting place on value or anything to look for. Anything in particularly to consider or think about? The mechanicals are pretty much the same as the OP, right? So nothing special to consider or test for with timing or work needed if the timing is out or starting to go out (in case I find one with work needed for a sweet price).

Any info would be appreciated.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A 1917 in original condition (not refinished) will go for $1k plus or minus...condition is everything. A 1909 can depend greatly on whether it's an Army (much more common) or Navy/Marines issue (far less common). The Navy/Marine version will go for some significant coin since they were purchased in limited quantities to begin with. Each individual gun has to be evaluated on its own merits so there will be a wide variation in values.

If all you want is a shooter then a refinished/Parkerized example will do nicely and won't break your wallet by comparison.

Mechanicals are the same as the Official Police other than being scaled up for the larger frame. They do use the same mainspring but the larger frame version has a great pull weight. An Official Police mainspring will fit and give a lighter trigger all but may be less reliable in primer ignition.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A 1917 in original condition (not refinished) will go for $1k plus or minus...condition is everything. A 1909 can depend greatly on whether it's an Army (much more common) or Navy/Marines issue (far less common). The Navy/Marine version will go for some significant coin since they were purchased in limited quantities to begin with. Each individual gun has to be evaluated on its own merits so there will be a wide variation in values.

If all you want is a shooter then a refinished/Parkerized example will do nicely and won't break your wallet by comparison.

Mechanicals are the same as the Official Police other than being scaled up for the larger frame. They do use the same mainspring but the larger frame version has a great pull weight. An Official Police mainspring will fit and give a lighter trigger all but may be less reliable in primer ignition.

Cool, thanks! I’d prefer a mint condition 1909 S/N 1 that someone is selling to get rid of it not knowing what they have.

That said, a good mechanical condition 1917 would be great.

Also good to know on the main spring commonality. Not sure I could bring myself to swap them, but something I guess I could try (with a NOS OP mainspring).

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    NOS mainsprings are not easy to find but repops are available. Most original mainsprings are used and have been replaced for a reason...they needed replacing either due to age and loss of tension or by bubba trying to lighten the tension.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Here's the link to my thread when I got the New Service bug and bought an Army 1909 and a 1917 back in 2013. So pricing is dated, I'd swag about $200 below current market.
    MB is right on all counts, condition and issue is everything with the 1909. Marine Corps or Navy issues are like gold if in original finish and good condition. Refinish, esp on the Army issue 1909s isn't uncommon and a good gateway to one if you budget won't stretch into the 4 figure range or you just want to enjoy it at the range. I see lots of original finish, pristine 1917s and they're no longer available in 3 digit territory. You're starting at around $1100 and head north from there. Figure on around $700-800 for a nice refinished example.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks! Not the news I’d hoped for, but it is what it is. I guess big bore is gonna be a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom