• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Any chance there is a definition of "Loan" in this subsection? I just checked Public Safety 5-101, and the answer is NO.

This could really all be fixed with a definition of "Loan" in subsection 5-101

Loan - means the lending of a firearm, outside of the owner's presence, without the receipt of compensation or the transfer of title of the firearm.

Why can't we include something like that in Public Safety 5-101 and then those of us that follow almost all the laws do not need to worry about breaking a law by letting our kids or others under the age of 21 shoot the regulated firearm in our presence.

My only issue with this bill is that I cannot "loan" a regulated firearm to one of my kids, nephews, nieces, etc. in my presence while we are at a range, out hunting, out shooting at a farm, etc.

So easy to fix it, but will it be done. Do organizations like MSI, MSRPA, PP, NRA propose amendments to these bills in Annapolis and provide the reasoning why?

Clarify all of this nonsense for because it is starting to run together. If passed, would this mean that I couldn’t loan my wife or kids firearms to shoot at the range?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odd voting sheet says favorable with amendments (FWA) but the amendments are not listed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Not odd at all given that it was just voted out of committee today. The Amendment, the vote on the amendment, and the updated bill will be posted in the next day or so. That is business as usual.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Any chance there is a definition of "Loan" in this subsection? I just checked Public Safety 5-101, and the answer is NO.

This could really all be fixed with a definition of "Loan" in subsection 5-101

Loan - means the lending of a firearm, outside of the owner's presence, without the receipt of compensation or the transfer of title of the firearm.

Why can't we include something like that in Public Safety 5-101 and then those of us that follow almost all the laws do not need to worry about breaking a law by letting our kids or others under the age of 21 shoot the regulated firearm in our presence.

My only issue with this bill is that I cannot "loan" a regulated firearm to one of my kids, nephews, nieces, etc. in my presence while we are at a range, out hunting, out shooting at a farm, etc.

So easy to fix it, but will it be done. Do organizations like MSI, MSRPA, PP, NRA propose amendments to these bills in Annapolis and provide the reasoning why?

Such possession by a person under the age of 21 for shooting a handgun in the presence of an instructor or parent or other person over the age of 21 is expressly permitted by MD Code Public Safety § 5-133(d). I think you are protected by that very specific provision.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    See SB436. Amendment is posted. Appears to me to line up with the OPs post.

Cant say about the prior screen names, but the info looks accurate to me. Gotta wear a thick skin around here to deal with the tinfoil.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Cant say about the prior screen names, but the info looks accurate to me. Gotta wear a thick skin around here to deal with the tinfoil.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

Trust but verified is operative here, not tinfoil. The OP was never officially verified by anyone to my knowledge.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

We are fine with sb346 as thus amended. The hearing on this bill really paid off

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Mark,

Will the proposed text impact youth marksmanship programs like the rifle teams sponsored by several of the AGC clubs, Antietam JRC, Queen Anne’s 4H, and Frederick County 4H? The NJROTC programs only use air rifles so they shouldn’t be impacted but many of the youth in the other clubs are as young as 9-10 and shoot all the way thru high school.

Many of these programs have developed athletes to go on to shoot in college and represent the USA on the international stage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lest we forget about the Boy Scouts that have trained young men in shooting with Rifle and Shotgun merit badge and went on to serve in the military.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    ...Until they pass the bill that makes our rifles, shotguns, and virtually anything that goes boom - REGULATED. Which is being attempted with long guns with detachable magazines, isn’t it?

Bigtex

Sep 11, 2018
    Laurel, Md.
    Delegate Grammers, thank you! I spoke at the house committee on the 25th. And the “transfer” law they were proposing seemed MUCH different. This pretty much reads the way the law is and purchasing restrictions currently. Am i missing something?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    When it comes to low post count newbs during the silly season, we do have a tendency to shoot first second and third, then as questions later. "Is this HBAR legal..."

There's no question he has another account here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom