• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhartmac1

Jun 3, 2018
    VA-Front Royal
    Was the M1A ban grandfathered? and......if someone from VA comes up to shoot with a Maryland resident and brings their M1A can they? Ok just read through some other threads, yes if purchased before Oct 2013 got it....now the next one is about the person coming up to shoot in Maryland...is that legal?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Was the M1A ban grandfathered? and......if someone from VA comes up to shoot with a Maryland resident and brings their M1A can they? Ok just read through some other threads, yes if purchased before Oct 2013 got it....now the next one is about the person coming up to shoot in Maryland...is that legal?

The ban is agnostic about whether or not you live in MD. If it wasn't owned by that VA resident prior to 1 Oct, 2013, it's illegal to bring into MD, even for one minute.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    The ban is agnostic about whether or not you live in MD. If it wasn't owned by that VA resident prior to 1 Oct, 2013, it's illegal to bring into MD, even for one minute.

You sure about that? I dont think a resident of Va could own it after GSA2013 and become a resident of Maryland and still own an m1a in MD.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    So as I read what you've written. Hypothetically, if you had a rifle match in MD. No, nonresident could bring in an M1A purchased after 10/2013?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So as I read what you've written. Hypothetically, if you had a rifle match in MD. No, nonresident could bring in an M1A purchased after 10/2013?

Exactly.

The law just says that the rifle must have been possessed prior to 10/1/2013. If it wasn’t possessed until after 10/1/2013 you may not bring it in to Maryland.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It sounds like the answer has been established pretty clearly...so if I may muddy it up with a hypothetical: What about FOPA and transporting one through MD? Just curious...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It sounds like the answer has been established pretty clearly...so if I may muddy it up with a hypothetical: What about FOPA and transporting one through MD? Just curious...

FOPA of course covers you. Just don’t stop.

signature

Jan 16, 2013
    How in the world would they check this. Run the serial number on the spot? Same with anything banned.
    I guess a copy of paperwork. Im getting around to a build on a stripped receiver that I bought prior to the ban.
    Just wondering what others are doing. Has anyone been confronted?
    Seems like you have to carry a book of paperwork around just to go shooting.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    In Maryland you are guilty until proven innocent. Assume that they will confiscate it so bring a receipt. Better yet, stay away. Dont give MD your tax money if you can avoid it. They simply waste it on cronies anyway.

Seriously, the only way you would get confronted is if you were stopped for something else or you blatantly bragged about it at the range and taunted LEO that use the facility.

jhartmac1

Jun 3, 2018
    VA-Front Royal
    WOW LOL so someone coming to MD from VA to shoot with a FRIEND and doesn't live here has a newer M1A is ILLEGAL even if they are returning the same day? That's insanity...... So does this cover the 6 sheriffs in the counties who say they REFUSE to enforce the gun bans TOO?

jhartmac1

Jun 3, 2018
    VA-Front Royal
    In Maryland you are guilty until proven innocent. Assume that they will confiscate it so bring a receipt. Better yet, stay away. Dont give MD your tax money if you can avoid it. They simply waste it on cronies anyway.

Seriously, the only way you would get confronted is if you were stopped for something else or you blatantly bragged about it at the range and taunted LEO that use the facility.

AGREED...........Im just WOW......

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Unless you are in MS-13 and you took possession illegally on any date. There are no penalties in that case, even if it was made into a ghost gun by removing the serial number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom