• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    Its not too bad, the Cmp sells Greek surplus that runs well in a Garand, and several online retailers carry the specific Garand loads.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    The higher pressure modern loads can lead too much pressure on the op rod causing it to bend. There is a commercial adjustable gas plug that lets you fix this problem. M2 ball ammo is what is ideal for a Garand, but its all surplus and old now. Modern loads of 30'06 are made for hunting rifles and are usually loaded to higher pressures with heavier bullets. Manufacturers know that there are many Garands out there so they make loads for the Garand. I think most of the loads for 150 gr bullets will be ok. Personally I have shot modern Privi out of my Garand.

And then there's always the option of reloading. Any ammo for the Garand is going to be expensive now, but there's still decent surplus available that has good reloadable casings. (Shoot the surplus and save the brass.) New 30-06 casings are also available. 150gr bullets of the correct type are readily available from the major manufacturers, and IMR 4895 powder isn't hard to find--and it's ideal for the Garand.

[Edit added: The casings on the Greek surplus ammo that's now available from CMP have a good reputation for being well made and good for reloading. As with any military ammo, the primers pockets will need to be swaged or reamed after the originals are removed. I've seen one report where a casing from Greek surplus was cut too long, but that seems to be an isolated--or rare--instance, and using a casing gauge is always a good idea with any reloads.]

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    A .308 Garand may be used in certain CMP matches, but not the majority of them. Here is a link to the CMP Rule Book http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf . Everyone has their own reasons for wanting their Garand a certain way; I like mine in the .308 configuration because I have a number of other military rifles that are in .308 or 7.62x51 NATO and I am set up to reload for those already. Do a google search for .308 vs .30/06 and read up on why some prefer .308 over .30/06.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    .308 Garands are great. If you get sick of yours, you can give it to me.

One little advantage: The Garand provides barely enough room to load a clip. It even one cartridge is not all the way back in the clip, the nose of the bullet may prevent loading. I have had that happen before, most recently during the rapid fire stage of a match last spring. I had another clip handy, and grabbed that one, but I thought, "If this were a .308, there would be plenty of extra space for a sloppy clip."

You'll see some GI stocks with little dent patterns from soldiers banging the clips against the stock to seat the rounds in the clip.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    Thanks for your offer, Threeband, but it will be a long while before I get sick of it.
    48b76a8f.jpg
    [/IMG]
    I'll keep you at the top of the list of those willing to help me out and remove the burden from my arms...

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'll swap you my Ishapore Grenade Launcher, if you throw in a case of ammo.

Ooops. Probably banned in New Jersey, though.

Attachments

• Ishapore 004.jpg
      Ishapore 004.jpg
      51.8 KB · Views: 156

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    throw in a roll of duct tape???

Oh the disrespect!
    OK, I'll swap you the Ishapore for your .308 Special, a case of ammo, and a roll of duct tape.

That's pretty crude ... but ingenious.

Don't want to totally derail the thread, but

Wire-Wrapped SMLEs:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?243836-Help-identify-my-new-wire-wrapped-Enfield

Photos:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1316499&postcount=25

And to get back on track, here are my Correct Grade (with sling) And my Service Grade. I refinished the replacement birch stock, which has a lot of fancy flame.

Attachments

• Garands at the Range 002.jpg
      Garands at the Range 002.jpg
      63.8 KB · Views: 145

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Interesting. I'm thinking about picking one up, but I'd rather not have to scour places for acceptable ammunition.

The adjustable gas plugs are about 30-35 dollars, plus postage. Here's one source: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...s-plug-with-wrench-m1-garand-steel-parkerized Midway claims: "Service rifle legal! Has the same appearance and configuration as original; CMP 4th Edition #4-13-2-b."

I don't have one, because I only shoot military or re-loads that are to conservative specs, but it's on my shopping list for sometime before too long. It might end up being a handy accessory one day, and stuff like that seems to disappear from the market without warning.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Scouring threads to find the answer and this looks like the most applicable, since it went into ammo for the M1 Garand...

Bought a H&R M1 Garand recently and the seller told me I should inquire here on MDS as to which ammo to use.

I bought some ammo prior to pickup and would like to ask the experts for their opinion on using it.

Hornady brand, Match, 30-06 M1 Garand, 168 gr A-MAX.

Am not into reloading (yet). Should I save the shells if these are acceptable for use?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    If you buy a service grade you will be good to go, never got one that did not have a decent barrel. If you want new wood request it on a sticky on the order form and most likely you will get it. I prefer original wood with character.
    If you want one to put new wood on and re barrel don't waste your money on a service grade, get a field grade and save some money.
    Ammo is no big deal, commercial loadings are available for the Garand from several different manufacturers. I reload or use Greek surplus.
    Honda53s, thanks for the recommendation, I'm out of any Garands to sell right now,kept 6 of my best.
    ShallNotinfringe, that ammo is fine if it says Garand, the brass is good, save it. It should be an accurate load.
    Built this one from a CMP barreled receiver, came with a brand new 50's barrel on an early WW2 receiver.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpg
      IMG_1168.jpg
      76 KB · Views: 110

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Hornady brand, Match, 30-06 M1 Garand, 168 gr A-MAX.

Am not into reloading (yet). Should I save the shells if these are acceptable for use?

My HRA loves that stuff. I've been told the brass is a little soft and doesn't last the longest, but it works. Keep an eye on midway they sell the hornady blems some times.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Service Grade HRA or SA (sn > 5000000) MW=1 $650
    A lot of these have all the original parts (except stock) and have never been rebuilt.
    This is the best deal for a Garand.

If you are looking for accuracy only the special with Criterion barrel is the way to go.

I have to admit, I requested "good shooters" for HRA's when I ordered last year (and it seems like they are better this year). I got two rifles with muzzles running 1 and 2, and the throats were 2 and 3 respectively. Metal was excellent, op-rods were good to go. I paid $75 each to have the triggers done and set to 4.5# (CMP legal), they break smooth and clean.

They came in new stocks, which I didn't mind. I wanted "good shooters". I got good shooters. I fired both and both shot smoothly and accurately, but I don't have any precise numbers to share.

Mark

DCutdSE

Rebel Scum
    Jan 2, 2009
    Regarding ammo, I shot modern .30-06 and it would cause the clip to eject after 2-4 shots. I changed the clip latch and springs before I got smart and went back to Greek M2 ball. No problems since and I'll be sticking to the surplus stuff. It is a mix master that I built myself from collected parts and is solely for tinkering, shooting and enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom