• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gen1runner

Mar 13, 2009
    Cecil-tuckey
    Posted this on another forum and I thought some of you here may find it useful...

So I recently bought a Troy trx extreme rail. After bolting it all up and putting on the rail section, I put my KAC handstop on a piece of rail on the bottom. While gripping it it just didnt feel right. So looking at it I got the wild Idea to modify it to fit flush on the handgaurd with out the rail.

I kinda rushed this and fit it into my lunchbreak. I started off by throwing it up in the mill and milling the bottom flat and both sides. The first cut I cringed knowing I was hacking up a $60 part...
    t4vlp2.jpg

Then I used a 1 1/8" radius ball mill and ran it down the middle about a 1/8" deep to give it the curve to help match with the rail.
    ezpydt.jpg

Then I drilled 2 holes aprrox .165" dia about a 1/2" apart on the bottom. Then came the part I kinda jacked up b/c I was rushing..I used a 1/4" endmill to counterbore the holes. The shallow hole went fine(needs to be a touch deeper) but the deep hole on the raidus of the handstop the endmill kept walking. It doesnt look to bad but I know I couldve done better had I not been rushing.

To attach it to the rail I took a 3/16" thick 1/4" wide by 3/4" piece of steel drilled and tapped matching holes to the hole drilled in the handstop. Iplaced the piece of steel and put it inside the rail sopporting it with a punch. Then I put 2 6-32 screws into the handstop and lined the handstop up with the holes on the rail to get the screws through and then tightened everythinig up

This is just a rough result of what I want, I plan on milling off the radius and making the face a 90 degree angle. I also have to hand finish the edges and get it coated. Right now its just sporting a coat of krylon.

dyrdvk.jpg

2ihxeud.jpg

sc4yg6.jpg

I know I did this with machine tools but I think someone could do this at home with a belt sander(grinder), drill press,dremel and files. This obviously isnt for everyone but I figured for those that have these handguards and would prefer to have something like this flush to the handguard without the rail sections it could help them out. Hope this can help someone out or give ideas.. :beer:

gen1runner

Mar 13, 2009
    Cecil-tuckey
    It does appear to be "backwards." Probably more room to get his thumb on top of the rail.

This..and the knob gets in the way of activating the light. The LMT is off now and the x300 will be replaced with a G2 in a modded mount(if i can figure out how I want to attack it)or a M300 when funds allow it.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I ordered the DD fixed front sight from BCM and it doesnt have the big knob that the LMT does. I also got my G2 mount from M4Guru. Really like how it works with the AFG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom