• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I've been a member here for about 4 years. My preparedness in general has improved greatly since becoming a member. I've slowly been building my supplies over this time. Nothing too crazy but a good diverse package. Sure there are some holes I would like to fill better, but overall it's been a slow and steady accumulation, that I've done almost totally in private.

Today my wife and I were talking at dinner today and there was a bit of concern in our voice after experiencing a somewhat mob scenario at the Giant earlier.

I ran down a quick list:
    We have about 200,000 calories of perishable food in our pantry
    Probably about 75,000 calories of perishable food in the fridge and freezer
    125,000 calories of emergency dry goods, rice, beans, basics.
    Overall 50 days supply at 2K per Day for 4 people.
    I ran down some Backup supplies of other basics along with medicine, fuel, ammo and cash were discussed too.

The fact that I knew that without blinking our position, seemed to provide a surprising degree of calm.
    You don't panic when you have a plan, and a backup plan.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    This isn't much different from prep for hurricane season, except that the power will probably stay on.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I have a simple formula to build supplies in a measured way.

Use one, buy two. Stop when satisfied.

This way, you're picking up things you regularly use, in a steady fashion, and not breaking the bank to do it, and you can set up a 'first in, first out' Super Pantry.

Works for ammo, too ;)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

This way, you're picking up things you regularly use, in a steady fashion, and not breaking the bank to do it, and you can set up a 'first in, first out' Super Pantry.

Works for ammo, too ;)

As your stock builds you can use (rotate stock) what you have until it goes on sale then replace what you used and add a little more. That way you end up buying most things only when they are on sale so your cost of goods goes down. Most stores rotate the sales items from week to week so most things periodically go on sale.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I've been a member here for about 4 years. My preparedness in general has improved greatly since becoming a member. I've slowly been building my supplies over this time. Nothing too crazy but a good diverse package. Sure there are some holes I would like to fill better, but overall it's been a slow and steady accumulation, that I've done almost totally in private.

Today my wife and I were talking at dinner today and there was a bit of concern in our voice after experiencing a somewhat mob scenario at the Giant earlier.

I ran down a quick list:
    I ran down some Backup supplies of other basics along with medicine, fuel, ammo and cash were discussed too.

The fact that I knew that without blinking our position, seemed to provide a surprising degree of calm.

Earlier in the week, I saw 20 deer running across a cut cornfield at the beginning of my development. Happen to have a long range rifle or two. How many calories you think I can get from a couple deer?

This is when people in the country are way better off than people in the big city. Not that I am in the country or anything.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

Works for ammo, too ;)

Actually I remember your pantry post and I sort of model that method. I still need to build the can holders. The big problem I have is that I seem to be the only one in the house who tries to actually rotate stock. Everyone else just sticks the newest cans, bottles and boxes right in front of the old ones.

Or worse I find three different jars of open peanuts....

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Earlier in the week, I saw 20 deer running across a cut cornfield at the beginning of my development. Happen to have a long range rifle or two. How many calories you think I can get from a couple deer?

This is when people in the country are way better off than people in the big city. Not that I am in the country or anything.

I’m not in the country either but I am very close to Patapsco Park and quite a few regular deer trails through our neighborhood towards the river.

I really need to get proficient with a bow or crossbow at least just in case it became necessary to discretely harvest a deer in times of need.

One thing that I count on is that there is a large stream 300ft behind my house. I also have a large storm water vertical concrete structure below ground just behind my property. It takes rain water and diverts it to a storm water collection pond but it also has an overflow pipe that will direct water directly into the stream if the storm water pond is too full.

I examined the structure while they were building it a few years ago. It’s large concrete tubes about 4’ in diameter stacked on top of one another with rubber seals between them. 20’ deep with a man hole cover at the top and rungs to climb down.

I’ve decided that in a severe SHTF situation I would climb in and use a basketball and silicone adhesive to plug the pipe that leads to the storm water pond. Then it would become a cistern that would hold about 125 cubic ft or maybe 900gal of rain water. If I plugged the overflow it would be double, maybe more if you included the feed pipes from the culvert about 200ft away.

While it wouldn’t be pure water it would be fairly simple to purify if needed and suffice for all gray water needs.

Preps don’t have to cost much. Sometimes just some creativity can fill in gaps or supplement the main plan.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Actually I remember your pantry post and I sort of model that method. I still need to build the can holders. The big problem I have is that I seem to be the only one in the house who tries to actually rotate stock. Everyone else just sticks the newest cans, bottles and boxes right in front of the old ones.

I hate that, for some reason my grandkids can not get the concept of jars belong in the fridge door, they put the mayo on a self, it gets pushed behind something, so if they don't see it in a sec or two, they just open a new one.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Remember when prepping was something done by racist white supremacists clinging to God and guns?

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    I hate that, for some reason my grandkids can not get the concept of jars belong in the fridge door, they put the mayo on a self, it gets pushed behind something, so if they don't see it in a sec or two, they just open a new one.

Not just grandkids, my wife does that all the time. She gets mad when I take out the 3-4 half jars and line them up on the counter.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

Years ago I remember yelling at one of the kids “You opened the emergency peanuts! Never open the emergency peanuts unless it’s an emergency!”

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

I ran down a quick list:

Awesome post sir.

YOU DONT PANIC WHEN YOU HAVE A PLAN

BZ

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

Fabs...you are a smart and industrious guy. I admire your motivation and intellect.

Just how long do you think those deer...or any other game, are going to last in a grid down situation? Up here, I get to compete with lots of country boys and hillbillies for our game supply. I’m a pretty good hunter or was in the day. I’m a better than average shot. I can butcher a deer as well as most. I can smoke and or salt the meat.

What I can’t do is guarantee that the wildlife is gonna be abundant for much longer than one season if that.

So, I plan on that source as a potential augmentation with no guarantee of it lasting.

Just a thought from someone who gives things like this some thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom