• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    So my wife and I want to get some kayaks. I want one for fishing ponds, lakes, rivers, reservoirs etc. Nothing too crazy water wise, if it's going to be bad out I'm not going.

Now my cousin has a Hobie Angler but that thing is heavy I've heard. I want to be able to drag thing this occasionally to deep woods ponds, but mostly will be easy loading and unloading. So weight isn't a HUGE deal.

Lastly, my wife wants one too. So for her, it'll be a casual one. Maybe something she can fish from too?

All in all, looking for any recommendations on which way to go. Info to read, experiences etc.

I'd prefer used, maybe you know someone?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A year from now you might be taking that yak places you never thought. I started out thinking the same way you are and now I'm fishing in the bay with it. If someone would've told me that I would've thought they were crazy.
    Lots of good info on www.snaggedline.com

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Started kayaking a million years ago, in NYS for whitewater and rivers... FL taught me I could use them for fishing too... MD taught me I could hunt out of it :)

I have my wlderness systems tarpon, wife and son have thier entry level kayaks... for the son's and the spare, I installed the rod holders. For the Potomac and Monocacy and the small ponds around here, its perfect.

IjustCantAim

Jan 20, 2010
    I have an ascend fs10 from bass pro. Love it. The only advice I would give is to get one with a real seat/chair. You will thank me later.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I bought my 11 year olds the Pelican kayaks from Dicks. One 8' and one 10'. They are light enough for the kiddos to shlep which is key. Also they are cheap.

I have a woods pond in mind.....cant wait to fish it. No bank to fish off of so kayak should be great!

My buddy has a hobie and it takes two people to load.....defeats the purpose if you ask me....

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I know nothing about the quality but I got an email from Tractor Supply the other day with kayaks.

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    Yeah I'd like to be able to load it by myself. That's a huge plus. Portability.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    What makes a good fishing boat bad for casual use and a great casual use boat bad for fishing?

I'd think either one, if nicer, would be good for both uses.

Honest question.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    What makes a good fishing boat bad for casual use and a great casual use boat bad for fishing?

I'd think either one, if nicer, would be good for both uses.

Honest question.

The weight of it. Be light as possible....

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    The weight of it. Be light as possible....

I would assume higher dollar = less weight regardless of style.

I'm guessing a $500 kayak for fishing is much more stripped down vs a casual one?

We plan on buying some at some point. Maybe in another 2 years when our youngest is 4.

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    What I meant was casual in terms of no frills, in the water kayak. She just wants to float lol

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Navigation in a lightweight sit-on-top kayak can be difficult if there is any wind. I once had to go out in a skiff to tow a friend who was in a sit on top kayak in the Potomac when the wind picked up. He was on his way to either the Virginia bank or Ireland.

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    So my wife and I want to get some kayaks. I want one for fishing ponds, lakes, rivers, reservoirs etc. Nothing too crazy water wise, if it's going to be bad out I'm not going.

Now my cousin has a Hobie Angler but that thing is heavy I've heard. I want to be able to drag thing this occasionally to deep woods ponds, but mostly will be easy loading and unloading. So weight isn't a HUGE deal.

Lastly, my wife wants one too. So for her, it'll be a casual one. Maybe something she can fish from too?

All in all, looking for any recommendations on which way to go. Info to read, experiences etc.

I'd prefer used, maybe you know someone?

PM sent....

The Pompano 120 sold by West Marine is the old Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. WS sold the old mold and retooled for a newer design. The Pompano 120 is a phenomenal kayak for the money and comes with the good seat, rod holders, and has provisions to mount a rudder if you're so inclined. I have both the Pompano 120 and a WS Tarpon 140 and actually prefer the 120 more.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have 6 Kayaks and a paddle board. 2 of them are the same. 5 were used from Craigslist purchasaes.
    They all have different stability,maneuverability and boyancy.
    2 track really straight, easy to balance but are not fast (sit on top ocean kayak)
    One is a shorter sit in Pelican west Marine used to sell. It has a smooth bottom, flotation foam on the inside (mine fell out), turns fast, moves fast but lean over and you can flip if you are heavy or not very coordinated.
    One is a cheap Walmart one (sit on top sun dolphin) and was decked out for kids fishing. It can't really hold the weight of an adult and is not very stable for fishing.
    One is sit on top and does not track like the ocean kayaks but is more maneuverable. (mango color)

Stability is key for fishing in my opinion and for people who may not be athletic.
    If I wanted to travel and move fast/efficient but I were athletic and not big, I'd want something agile. But if you are not agile, and you are flipping all the time, that is not fun, you would want something stable.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    20431645_1561928897212812_2680920103795054573_n.jpg

20430128_1561928900546145_1621206423731463552_n.jpg

I don't think I have a choice of buying some one day... Taken at Dicks today.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    A sit on top style is great for both fishing and recreational use.

i've used sit on top kayaks several times to row out tuna heads down in hatteras for shark fishing. pretty surreal experience to be a few hundred yards from shore with a bloody tuna head and huge hook, in the pitch black dark.

we'd drop off the heads and then row back to pier or shore to man our rods (9/0's to penn Intl's).

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    i've used sit on top kayaks several times to row out tuna heads down in hatteras for shark fishing. pretty surreal experience to be a few hundred yards from shore with a bloody tuna head and huge hook, in the pitch black dark.

we'd drop off the heads and then row back to pier or shore to man our rods (9/0's to penn Intl's).

You are nuts! :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom