• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    In sorting through the loose brass picked I picked up on my last trip to the range, I found two cases that have an interesting split. Rather than a splitting straight down the case wall as I would otherwise expect, one split travels diagonally around the case, and the other zig-zags. Fortunately, looking at the case heads I could see that neither of this 9mm's were ones I shot.

Any idea if this is normal, and what effect this would have on the firearm?

Attachments

• P_20170605_170110[1].jpg
      P_20170605_170110[1].jpg
      86.8 KB · Views: 465
    • P_20170605_170140[1].jpg
      P_20170605_170140[1].jpg
      100.2 KB · Views: 488

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    What make is it? any signs of high pressure? Never saw one like that before. Its like it split from being brittle rather than anything else. I'll be watching this one.

Ken

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I think I have the cases down in my reloading room somewhere; I'll poke around and find them later this evening perhaps. Aside from pictures of the headstamps, is there any other details I should check for and post? I do not have a digital camera save what is on my phone, and I was slightly surprised the photos came out OK.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Are you sure they came from your firearm and not just volunteers that were picked up along with yours?

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Are you sure they came from your firearm and not just volunteers that were picked up along with yours?

Fortunately, looking at the case heads I could see that neither of this 9mm's were ones I shot.

While I will be reloading for 9mm eventually, in the meantime I am still working through my stash of perfecta 115gr that I bought cases of during that low price period ~2 years back. Since the headstamps of these two cases are not perfecta, I am quite sure that they did not come from my firearm, and am quite happy about that.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I would say "not normal" never seen a zigzag or helical split case before in more than 30 years reloading and you have both.

Lots of radial and linear though.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    This is the problem with 'range pick ups' who knows how many times this brass was reloaded (if at all) and what it was shot out of. I tend to mark all my cases if I see that someone else is shooting the same caliber as I am.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I think I have the cases down in my reloading room somewhere; I'll poke around and find them later this evening perhaps. Aside from pictures of the headstamps, is there any other details I should check for and post? I do not have a digital camera save what is on my phone, and I was slightly surprised the photos came out OK.

Pressure signs are usually flattened primers, protruding primers, or primers extruding back into the firing pin hole. Also look for signs of case bulge from being fired in a gun with an unsupported chamber.

9mm Pressure signs:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=9mm...jSy8HUAhXLdz4KHaGhBKkQ7AkIcQ&biw=1280&bih=563

Case bulge pictures:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=9mm...SNy8HUAhXDej4KHQBAC0IQ7AkIUg&biw=1280&bih=563

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    It's simply bad brass...

I've seen this condition before...

BUT to be sure try a box of new ammo from a different manufacturer...

Then check your brass when you go shooting then next time...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Old brass. Brass work hardens from being expanded and resized.

Then, when fired, the expansion cracks the brass. I have seen some .45 ACP cases with unknown history do this.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or occasionally an off spec batch of brass ( the actual raw alloy, not the euphemism for ctg cases). The opposite is when the alloy is too soft, and sticky extraction.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Examining the cases, I am personally leaning towards brittle brass. I do not see any indications of overpressure, case bulging, or stress lines.

I originally noted these two cases on the basis of sound even before taking a look at them. The sound given off when these case contact another case is distinctly different from other intact cases. At the time I had wondered if it was similar to a bell changing its tone after developing a split. Of course, metal hardness will also affect sound.

I am having some issues loading the photo, so I will just report now that the case stamp is marked "R-P" on both cases. I will try again at a later time to upload the photo of the headstamp/primer.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County

It's simply bad brass...

I've seen this condition before...

BUT to be sure try a box of new ammo from a different manufacturer...

Then check your brass when you go shooting then next time

Stated in his first post that the casings were not from his gun, but range pickup. I've seen the helical split before, but never a zig zag!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom