• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    A wildlife person gave us some medication to inject into a chicken breast to treat our fox's mange. She said broil the breast for 2 min a side and it was good to go.

Our fox got down to a Mohawk on the back of his neck before the 2nd treatment kicked in. That was his only fur. My wife saw him get one breast in the morning. He looked up at the sky as if to say thanks, or maybe WTF?

He is long gone but we have a replacement. They must sleep for 4 hours and hunt for a couple. We see him or hear him all hours of the day.

We are treating a couple now. Using hot dogs with Ivermectin. Have a few on video, but aiming for the mangy one. But we have no chickens...

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    Go buy a cheap predator call and light and have some fun at night they will come right to you if conditions are right. That is if you can discharge a firearm where you live

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Last Friday a large fox took two of my hens and was stalking the rest of the flock when I ran it off. This is while they were free ranging in my yard at 2 in the afternoon. There are 10+ acres of woods behind my house and the fox must have been lurking in the tree line.
    I now want to eliminate this fox its friends and family.
    I plan on using a box/cage trap because there are critters I don't want to accidentally kill. Is there a preferred bait for fox? I suppose chicken should work since that is what it chose to kill.
    Based on my past experience, my landscaping shoes left outside seems to drawn them like moths to a flame. After chewing them up they enjoy pooping in them. Let me know if you need to borrow them. They also enjoy chewing the rubber mulch tree rings i bought.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Go buy a cheap predator call and light and have some fun at night they will come right to you if conditions are right. That is if you can discharge a firearm where you live

Can only legally shoot coyotes at night and only part of the year. Legal shooting hours on fox are 30 minutes before dawn to 30 minutes after sunset. Not sure if that prohibition extends to foxes harassing livestock at night or not, but it certainly does to hunting them.

Pretty sure the same thing with "casting artificial rays". AFAIK you can only use lights for hunting coyotes.

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    Can only legally shoot coyotes at night and only part of the year. Legal shooting hours on fox are 30 minutes before dawn to 30 minutes after sunset. Not sure if that prohibition extends to foxes harassing livestock at night or not, but it certainly does to hunting them.

Pretty sure the same thing with "casting artificial rays". AFAIK you can only use lights for hunting coyotes.

You may also hunt foxes at night during the period you may hunt coyotes at night. I believe it's typically until 3/15.

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    005a07fb2060dc3039df39a7a778044e.png

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Hot dogs for bait. I've seen a fox try to stuff four of them in his mouth.

But if your area is a suitable habitat for foxes, more will move in to replace the ones you trap.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Back to the original problem .....

I was thinking about this. If you want to try a box trap, go for it. Low probability isn't the same as zero probability. No harm in trying.

We had a fox decimate our hens this spring. It was mid-late afternoon and apparently not that unusual in the spring when they are hunting hard to feed their young. Losing yours in the afternoon seems odd.

Suburban foxes might behave differently than a country fox (no puns intended!) That might help you,though when it comes to getting one.

These types of things require discretion.
    Good luck

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Ditto on ivermectin at tractor supply. I used to treat foxes at my old worksite by mixing it in wet cat food.

It was right on the river, and the foxes seem to keep the rat population down.

Drakos

Outta Control
    Dec 25, 2010
    Last Friday a large fox took two of my hens and was stalking the rest of the flock when I ran it off. This is while they were free ranging in my yard at 2 in the afternoon. There are 10+ acres of woods behind my house and the fox must have been lurking in the tree line.
    I now want to eliminate this fox its friends and family.
    I plan on using a box/cage trap because there are critters I don't want to accidentally kill. Is there a preferred bait for fox? I suppose chicken should work since that is what it chose to kill.
    Canned cat food...

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I used to put Fox Urine sent on my boots when deer hunting, I had so many Foxes follow my trail into my stand that I gave up using it. if I were trying to lure Foxes in, that's what I would use.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Tractor Supply, tack shops, farm supply stores, etc. it is used as a wormer for horses. Actually horse people use three different wormers in rotation so the worms don't build resistance.

OK - I'll have to do a bit of research for the exact product & how to dose for a fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom