• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Because of my son's allergy plan at school, either me or my wife will attend all of his field trips this year. I obviously can't take my gun on school property, but is there any reason I couldn't carry if I met them at the venue or followed the buses if the trips aren't to prohibited places?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Because of my son's allergy plan at school, either me or my wife will attend all of his field trips this year. I obviously can't take my gun on school property, but is there any reason I couldn't carry if I met them at the venue or followed the buses if the trips aren't to prohibited places?
    Conceal and obey all laws. Policies aren't laws.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'd have to look at the law but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not worded school or school related activities or something of the sort.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Field trips are considered extensions of the classroom with all school and county rules applying. In Harford county, a county I'm not real impressed with as far as common sense, chaperones have to sign a paper stating they will follow all school rules and policies while chaperoning. No smoking, etc. so I am sure "weapons" are not welcome.

I don't agree with our kids being unprotected, they should be to th highest possible level. You can always ask the teacher or school administrator what they think. Personally, I wouldn't risk carrying on a field trip if you are considered a chaperone unless you are law enforcement. Even then, in some counties, it could be an issue.

TD

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    not a lawyer but thinking a school field trip doesn't turn that venue into a portable school zone.

otherwise if that school went to xyz aquarium, everyone in the aquarium, including those unaffiliated with the school, could be potentially violating firearms laws without even knowing it had been turned into a school zone.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    not a lawyer but thinking a school field trip doesn't turn that venue into a portable school zone.

otherwise if that school went to xyz aquarium, everyone in the aquarium, including those unaffiliated with the school, could be potentially violating firearms laws without even knowing it had been turned into a school zone.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Venue doesn't change its rules, however anyone involved in the field trip are to follow the rules of the school system.

Like I said, ask someone in the school system.

TD

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Kind of too grey to even ask anonymously, for fear of pointing out another "loophole" the Moms can highlight next year ("for the children").

I'm not in MD anymore, but my state's AG stated that it was school property and only school property, regardless of the event. For example, a non-school youth event (eg. scouts or youth football) using the schools athletic fields or gym, even on a Saturday, meant "no carry". A school event in a public park or other non-school property (even during the school day) meant your CCW was valid. School buses are school property, of course. I wouldn't want to be the test case for that in MD.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Field trips are considered extensions of the classroom with all school and county rules applying. In Harford county, a county I'm not real impressed with as far as common sense, chaperones have to sign a paper stating they will follow all school rules and policies while chaperoning. No smoking, etc. so I am sure "weapons" are not welcome.

I don't agree with our kids being unprotected, they should be to th highest possible level. You can always ask the teacher or school administrator what they think. Personally, I wouldn't risk carrying on a field trip if you are considered a chaperone unless you are law enforcement. Even then, in some counties, it could be an issue.

TD

If he just attends the trip and does not sign on as a chaperone, he does not have to sign the document.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miles71 View Post

TD

If he just attends the trip and does not sign on as a chaperone, he does not have to sign the document.

Very true, but if not an "official" chaperone the print may be limited on activities depending on the trip.

My gut as an educator with 20 years experience taking kids places, I wouldn't if you plan on interacting with the kids.

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom