• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    My night sights are 13+ years old. Finally ordered a new set. Just need to replace them. It's a five minute job, but I called a certain place that said I need to drop off my gun and it's a five day wait, and since I didn't buy the sights from them I have to pay $20 to remove my old ones and $20 to install the new ones.

Where else can I go that isn't that stupid?

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    $40 bucks to have sights removed and installed is a good deal.

There is a huge chance of marring the finish of the gun if you make it just a 5 minute job. Sometimes it could be very difficult to get sights off that have been on a gun for 13 years.

What type of gun also makes a difference.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    This is what the internet is doing to businesses.

"Oh, you bought this gizmo from someone else, and now you're asking me to install it for free. Yeah, that'll help me keep the lights on."

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If the job is so easy and only takes 5 mins then why are you paying someone?

I can do it but I wont with an attitude like that.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My night sights are 13+ years old. Finally ordered a new set. Just need to replace them. It's a five minute job, but I called a certain place that said I need to drop off my gun and it's a five day wait, and since I didn't buy the sights from them I have to pay $20 to remove my old ones and $20 to install the new ones.

Quoting this because it needs to be memorialized. LOL

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Brownell's sells all the tools you need for that job. Not sure where you get the experience to do it right.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Brownell's sells all the tools you need for that job. Not sure where you get the experience to do it right.

Will Brownell's sell him all of the tools and ship them for less than $40? If not, is there another place he can go that isn't that stupid?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012

Wasn't us, but my bet is your guy spent a lot of money buying the correct jigs and vices so he can push out the old sights and put in the new ones without screwing up your gun.

Of course he is going to charge you, especially since you didn't even buy the new sights form him. Many dealers install them no-charge if you buy them there. Bet that $12 you saved buying on the Internet does not look so good now...

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Will Brownell's sell him all of the tools and ship them for less than $40? If not, is there another place he can go that isn't that stupid?

I guess if you like the "Khyber Pass" look a guy could borrow a hammer and give 'er a shot on his own. Can't be that hard, right?

I'm kind of picky about who does my gunsmithing work. I'd say that $40 seems very fair - almost cheap - for this sort of job.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    It's pretty easy to remove and install sights.

1. Clamp the slide in a vise. Make you reaaaaaally squeeze it in there. You don't want it moving.

2. Find a large hammer, the bigger the better. Also a steel punch. Gotta have steel cause brass is soft as a liberals dick.

3. Smack the $hit outta those old sights to get them out of the slide.

4. Get a dremel tool and clean up the dovetail in the slide. You may want to trim some meat off of the sights too, to help start them.

5. Grab a bigger hammer and steel punch and smack the $hit out of the sights to drive them home.

Easy peasey, japanesey.

Now, in all seriousness. 40 bucks is not a bad price to pay to install a set of sights. Especially if the "5 minute job" requires some actual fitting.

You may have even gotten the job done in less time quoted. It's not a stretch for someone in a busy shop to add a couple days to the estimate.

Most customers are glad when they get a call that their job was done in two days when they expected five and it gives the gunsmith/mechanic/plumber a little cushion in case they run into an "oh $hit" on another job.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    It's pretty easy to remove and install sights.

1. Clamp the slide in a vise. Make you reaaaaaally squeeze it in there. You don't want it moving.

2. Find a large hammer, the bigger the better. Also a steel punch. Gotta have steel cause brass is soft as a liberals dick.

3. Smack the $hit outta those old sights to get them out of the slide.

4. Get a dremel tool and clean up the dovetail in the slide. You may want to trim some meat off of the sights too, to help start them.

5. Grab a bigger hammer and steel punch and smack the $hit out of the sights to drive them home.

Easy peasey, japanesey.

Now, in all seriousness. 40 bucks is not a bad price to pay to install a set of sights. Especially if the "5 minute job" requires some actual fitting.

You may have even gotten the job done in less time quoted. It's not a stretch for someone in a busy shop to add a couple days to the estimate.

Most customers are glad when they get a call that their job was done in two days when they expected five and it gives the gunsmith/mechanic/plumber a little cushion in case they run into an "oh $hit" on another job.

Good advice. $40 for pretty much any job at a qualified gunsmith is a steal. Most of the time the labor rate per hour alone is double. If you have someone that will do a sight replacement for $40 and not fu*k up your gun, give him $50 for his trouble.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Good advice. $40 for pretty much any job at a qualified gunsmith is a steal. Most of the time the labor rate per hour alone is double. If you have someone that will do a sight replacement for $40 and not fu*k up your gun, give him $50 for his trouble.

But pinning a CZ front sight is a 5 minute job. WHY PAY SO MUCH TO A BUSINESS?:lol2:

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

That ain't no lie. I understand money can be tight but there is a difference between money being tight and being a tight ass.

If I can't do it myself and can't afford to pay someone to do it right, I don't start the project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom