• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Guys,

I am developing a business plan for a capstone project for my Graduate Certificate in Business Administration. For the project, I have decided to design a contraption that would facilitate entry into a tall/lifted vehicle for elderly, handicapped, wounded warriors, etc. I already searched for patents in the USPTO website, and so far, there is no granted patent or application for a product exactly like my idea.

I studied electro-mechanics in the Navy 30 years ago. I am also somewhat mechanically inclined, but I do not have the engineering background needed to design a mass-produced device that is safe and user friendly without help.

At any rate, I am looking for an engineer/student or a fabricator that would e interested in talking shop with me, i.e. help me transform my idea into
    a workable design with realistic load tables, stress calculations, gear ratios, pivot points, etc. Knowledge of metallurgy, material procurement and handling, welding, fasteners/electro-mechanics/hydraulics/pneumatics a plus. Knowledge of lightweight metals for automotive applications would be awesome. Jeep owners that live and breathe the platform for which my design be marketed for are the icing on the cake.

Consider this a "startup"; actually, just a class project, for now. As such, compensation is zero-to-low right now (I would consider hourly fee or flat fee, but this would be out of pocket for me). Potential income for the right partner will be proportionate to "sweat equity", should the product get recognition and sales. Someone with previous business venture experience is welcome, as well.

My vision is to create a product that: 1. solves a problem (helping load mom or grandma, yourself if you have a broken leg, et. into your lifted Jeep); 2. help communities (improve the quality of life of SUV owners and families so they do not have to loose money and trade cars -like I was forced to do- because of #1; 3. create local jobs , and use American raw material and brain-trust, right here in Maryland. I will not manufacture abroad, and preferably, out of state neither. and; 4. provides charity; I plan to donate a portion of proceeds to NGOs involved in autism research or homeless veterans.

Non-disclosure agreements must be signed before any details are given out.

Thanks!

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Considering this person will likely have to travel to you, indicating your location may be beneficial. You might also want to consider doing some digging with the higher-end suspension upfitters and see how you can go about getting CAD files for the frame and body structures. I mentioned suspension upfitters as they have been getting CAD files from the manufacturers before vehicles have even been released for public sale. AEV comes to mind as a high-end upfitter that would likely have this or can at least point you in the right direction for who to talk to at Fiat/Chrysler.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My daughter is near genius Mechanical Engineering student at UMBC. She is a Sophomore this year. For the past 2 years she has been volunteering with a company retrofitting bicycles and other conveyances for disabled kids and adults.
    She is currently working in a UMBC lab on NOAA remote sensing projects, designing and building equipment/hardware. She has a keen knowledge of metallurgy and I am pretty sure experience with lathes. I know she knows CAD.

As stated above, where are you located? Even if not for any equity, I think she would be interested in just "helping out" when she can.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Antco, Blaster-Thanks both for the wisdom and feedback. I am in Columbia, Howard County, MD. I would not have any problem traveling to meet anyone interested in helping. CAD files? Hmm. Did not think of that. I was going to search for an (free, if available) CAD app online where I could make a very rough design and print it (for now, just to include on my business class paper due Friday). After that, I can press full on with the "real deal".

I'll check on the CAD files...I just wonder if manufacturers would cooperate with a potential competitor, or worse yet, try to elicit information and run to file a patent before I do. :mad54:

Blaster- Your daughter's involvement with vehicles for handicapped deal is a noble endeavor, and for her, a serious future opportunity. I have two disabled adult children (one with autism, the other with fibromyalgia), as well as an elderly mother, and an aunt with back surgery, so I have a personal interest in this. And why not make money while helping people, right?:thumbsup:

Blaster-if you could please pass along my number to your daughter (PM on the way) and she would be interested in meeting me for a sanity check, i.e., tell me whether my idea has any possibility at all, I would appreciate it. Again, I am in Columbia but would travel anywhere to meet her at her convenience.

I also need to talk to a fabricator to give me an idea of costs for a prototype and hourly rates for production, raw material pricing, etc.

Many thanks!
    :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom