• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    Two. The bottom one is mounted with the slots under the magnet instead of above, like on the top magnet. Just wanted to keep symmetry lol

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Well, I grabbed 2 of those magnets today, but I didn't think about one thing...

I have quite a few stainless mags that either came with my Springfield Armory firearms, or were factory ones bought for them...and of course, they are not magnetic... I guess I could load the mags with some Tulammo... :lol2:

BTW, I would have never thought that a magnetic "TOOL" holder would be 3 aisles away from, ummm........the tools. Why would they be in the same aisle as mailboxes and doorknobs??? :crazy:

Anyway, thanks again for the idea. I have a dozen or so steel mags, so they'll work great for those. :thumbsup:

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    How are stainless steel mags not sticking to these magnets? Are u sure they aren't aluminum? In fact in my picture u can see that I have several stainless steel 1911 mags that stick very well

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    How are stainless steel mags not sticking to these magnets? Are u sure they aren't aluminum? In fact in my picture u can see that I have several stainless steel 1911 mags that stick very well

Stainless does not stick to magnets. Your "stainless" mags must be coated.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I'm not doubting that, 71chevelle427. I was responding to post number #45. Guess a copy past would have helped.

Sorry for the confusion. I was actually agreeing with you, but just adding an FYI for anyone else reading. ;)

I think it all comes down to the "grade" (or quality) of the stainless being used. We use "food grade" stainless tubing here at work (TP304/L, I think it is), due to where it is used, and it has the same zero magnetism effect as my mags do.

But for my own curiosity, I just now checked my off shore manufactured stainless steel headers on my truck (claimed to be T304), and they are indeed "slightly" magnetic...nowhere near regular steel, but slightly magnetic due to their TRUE Chinese metallurgy. ;)

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Well then Wilson combat 47D mags are the magnetic kind of stainless steel :p

Just curious if you can feel a noticeable difference in how strongly the magnet holds them, as compared to a steel mag, or even some other piece of "plain old steel"?

I know the stainless hardware we use at work is also non-magnetic, but our new expensive "stainless" refrigerator sure holds magnets...:D

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    Just curious if you can feel a noticeable difference in how strongly the magnet holds them, as compared to a steel mag, or even some other piece of "plain old steel"?

I know the stainless hardware we use at work is also non-magnetic, but our new expensive "stainless" refrigerator sure holds magnets...:D

Hard to tell if there is a difference. The magnet is super strong and I have to fight to get any mag off of it. The 1911 mags cross section is narrow so they're easy to yank off, but if I flip them sideways they are hard to take off like the other non 1911 mags

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    i'm looking to make a custom mod to my safe to hold all my pistol mags....... they held empty mags fine, but I would like to store my mags loaded.....

I thought it was not a good idea to keep magazines loaded because it could collapse the follower spring? I only leave a few rounds in mine, just in case that's true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom