• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    I've been dreaming of commissioning my buddy Eliot Williamson to make me a knife out of SM-100. Does anyone have any experience with knives made of this magical material? SM-100 info

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    Yeah maybe. But I like the finer things in life. Even if they take some discipline in saving to get them. If Eliot made a knife with uniform horn grip panels I would buy it lol

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hehe, Minuteman, I too struggle with that concept - 1 nice knife, or several cheap to custom knives. I lose knives often - mostly in my own house, car, properties, etc.., so I've yet to spend more than say $300 on any given knife, but some would argue, if I had one really really nice knife, I'd probably take great care not to lose it - ie, keep it as near and dear to me as say, my mobile phone. Ironically, I probably have $1,500 in knives combined, but it is nice to have varying ones for varying jobs.

On to this steel. I love the idea, and holy amazing work by your friend! GORGEOUS folder gallery! However one question - how hard is it to give it an edge, given its strength??? I don't imagine throwin one of those on my WorkSharp, but perhaps it'd finally push me over the edge to get an Edge Pro Apex if I actually made the "investment" in a knife as fine as one of these...

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    SM-100 is hard but not impossible to sharpen. Eliot says the cost is high because it kills his equipment to work with it. I don't think it's anything an edge pro apex or wicked edge can't handle given enough care and attention/effort. Yes he does make beautiful knives. He's made a kitchen knife and a tactical fixed blade for me before

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom