• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Also, how the hell could anyone support those who spat at him when he returned from the war? I don't get it.:shrug:

That's a little oversimplified. Whether misguided, apathetic, or whatever, I know some VN vets to this day who think the Dems helped to end the war sooner & bring them home.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Vietnam era=Steelworkers union=D. Not that hard to figure out but where are they now. Not many steel producers in Western PA anymore.

Uh, that's a bit oversimplified too. :sad20:

Are unionized workers really the reason steel production isn't what it used to be in the US? Or, does it have more to do with slow down of demand?

They're aren't as many steel producers AT ALL anymore, not much to do with their workforce.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That's a little oversimplified. Whether misguided, apathetic, or whatever, I know some VN vets to this day who think the Dems helped to end the war sooner & bring them home.

Are unionized workers really the reason steel production isn't what it used to be in the US? Or, does it have more to do with slow down of demand?

They're aren't as many steel producers AT ALL anymore, not much to do with their workforce.

Don't forget the EPA, and their regulations. Making steel is a dirty business.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County

I did not mean to imply that the union was the reason for the decline of steel producing in Pittsburgh. Having been born and raised in Pittsburgh I know how much the steel industry and the union impacted the city. Now days the union is much much more than steel workers.
    The Aluminum Workers of America, The International Union of Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers, The United Stone and Allied Product Workers of America, The Allied and Technical Workers of America, The Upholsterers International Union of North America, The United Rubber, Cork, Linoleum & Plastic Workers of America,The Aluminum, Brick and Glass Workers Union, The Canadian Division of the Transportation Communications International Union, and The American Flint Glass Workers Union are all part of the Steelworkers Union now and guess who they supported in the last two elections?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

HUH????

Let's see, draw down and end was under a REPUBLICAN Pres.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto

Born & raised in Western Pa, with family who worked in the mills along the river. In 68 when I was on a plane heading to Nam, Fortune magazine had a great article about the Steel Industry. At that time it was cheaper to ship ore across country on train, load onto boats for Japan for processing and return process steel to Pittsburgh. Just think about that, it is truly amazing.

Many things contributed to the demise of the steel industry, one can blame, unions, companies and the government. They are were part of the problem.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    HUH????

Let's see, draw down and end was under a REPUBLICAN Pres.

Yes of course it was but at the same time there were many democrats (and republicans too) in Congress who were pushing for the war to end. And as you may recall, there were some at the time who were saying that Nixon was actually prolonging the war for domestic political reasons.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013

This.

Read this to know what really happened.

It's very telling and well documented right down to the footnotes.

For example, in the early 1970's USS management already knew there would only be one "hot side" left in the mon valley. Not the 15 or so that there was. Yet rank and file were told they were at fault when it was known there was far too much steel making capacity world wide and work productivity was off the charts.

As Edward Ayoub said somethings got to give

Very revealing book for those of us who watched the collapse of the BSIC and the drop of 55% of employment industry wide in just 2-3 years.

Highly recommend reading it :thumbsup:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    OK, so I was looking for comments on the PA AG Kane Impeachment. When did it change to Vietnam, steel and unions? Is there anything new about the impeachment proceedings?:innocent0

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    It's any given thread at any time.

Unions are the devil and responsible for anything negative that happens to business in the US, cept for teachers unions, very few seem to shit on them here much (.....hmmmmm?)

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I think teachers unions suck too. Actually any union that represents government EE's.

Mr H

Banana'd

Attachments

• th7RKR8BUL.jpg
      th7RKR8BUL.jpg
      11.7 KB · Views: 356

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The people of PA should not let this happen. They should demand this proceeds as the grand jury ruled.

Jim Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom