• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I was going to spring for the PACCW but don't really have the funds, when could this go into effect? Should I donate the money to pa. And get the non resident ccw?
    TD

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I was going to spring for the PACCW but don't really have the funds, when could this go into effect? Should I donate the money to pa. And get the non resident ccw?
    TD

its not law yet.. As of right now you need a home state permit to get a Pa NR ccw , but that may change as well.

I would sit tight for awhile at least a few months if funds are tight ..

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    TD

It's really not a lot of money, about $20-$30 depending on the county. In fact I think the biggest expense may be driving there if you're far from a county that accepts nonresident applications. The problem most of us have is that PA requires that you have a permit from your state of residence before they will issue you one, unless your state/district doesn't issue permits to anyone (right now DC is the only such place).

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    its not law yet.. As of right now you need a home state permit to get a Pa NR ccw , but that may change as well.

That would be a most welcome change and solve a lot of other issues as well.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    TD

It's really not a lot of money, about $20-$30 depending on the county. In fact I think the biggest expense may be driving there if you're far from a county that accepts nonresident applications. The problem most of us have is that PA requires that you have a permit from your state of residence before they will issue you one, unless your state/district doesn't issue permits to anyone (right now DC is the only such place).

If memory serves me correctly miles71 has a MD permit and can obtain the PA LTCF. $20 should be statewide now as some fees that brought it to $25 and $30 in the past have expired.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I must have misread the fee for pa, I though it was much higher. I can handle 20-30 dollars, but yes, driving up,there during their business hours might be interesting.

Wouldn't it be great to live in a world where you do this once and your good.

TD

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I must have misread the fee for pa, I though it was much higher. I can handle 20-30 dollars, but yes, driving up,there during their business hours might be interesting.

Wouldn't it be great to live in a world where you do this once and your good.

TD

National reciprocity, but I think that even between the shall-issue states, some are reluctant because the qualification standards vary wildly. At least with driver licenses there is somewhat of a uniform standard. I think we do need a uniform standard for national reciprocity to be agreeable, but you'll have many within the community cry that it would "infringe upon rights."

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    National reciprocity, but I think that even between the shall-issue states, some are reluctant because the qualification standards vary wildly. At least with driver licenses there is somewhat of a uniform standard. I think we do need a uniform standard for national reciprocity to be agreeable, but you'll have many within the community cry that it would "infringe upon rights."

Not based on what I have in mind. If your are at grpc I have somepropropossal to kick around.. many have been floated here on this forum.

I may not get to formalise them in time but I may do so at the conference.. nat reciprocity and also background check reform..

I would also think we need to take another go at fopa.

We can get. A lot done...but we need to stop infighting.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    well what's worse, a perceived infringement or total denial?

I'll take the former.

There is the perception that untrained people are packing heat and they could mishandle their guns and have things like negligent discharges.

Truth be told I don't oppose a basic safety course for carrying. I don't oppose a demonstration that you can load and shoot your gun either. Not for simply owning a gun, but for carrying it.

If we have a minimum standard that would qualify someone for reciprocity I'd be all over it. It would not be onerous like may-issue states to restrict the right. Think NRA first steps or similar. It would be waived for law enforcement and military who have had their respective training and qualification. If states want to do reciprocity amongst themselves without the training, they are free to do so under the existing arrangement.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is the perception that untrained people are packing heat and they could mishandle their guns and have things like negligent discharges.

I don't have a problem with a basic training course for national reciprocity either, but do the stats support the perception? I don't know what states have no training requirement and what shootings can be tied to the lack of training. As I said, I'd be ok with a minimal training requirement if I could carry in other states versus the purists who will shout "training infringes my rights."

Compromise is required if we want to get this done. If you don't want to compromise, don't advocate for national reciprocity with no training because I don't see that happening. If some states wanted training, I'm ok with that if it accomplishes the stated goal.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

Truth be told I don't oppose a basic safety course for carrying. I don't oppose a demonstration that you can load and shoot your gun either. Not for simply owning a gun, but for carrying it.

If we have a minimum standard that would qualify someone for reciprocity I'd be all over it. It would not be onerous like may-issue states to restrict the right. Think NRA first steps or similar. It would be waived for law enforcement and military who have had their respective training and qualification. If states want to do reciprocity amongst themselves without the training, they are free to do so under the existing arrangement.
    Slippery slope...if our community is serious about calling 2A a "fundamental civil right", this argument injects some very dangerous concepts. We are not required to have a basic course before exercising rights protected by 1A. We don't have to demonstrate that we can load and shoot off our mouths before attending the church services of our choice, for example.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It is a slippery slope, but I don't see this happening without some compromise. Some states have training requirements that remain unchallenged on civil rights grounds.

From a purist's standpoint, this is true. Reality and current restrictions would seem to dictate otherwise IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom