• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Deserves its own thread since SAF is involved and this is being appealed.

Ryan- do you have any docs on this, such as opinions from the denying judges? Also this is now being appealed to the NJ appellate court (not NJSC), correct? And how is SAF involved, since this is a Nappen case (will Gura/Jensen appear)? Sorry for all the questions.

Interesting that the SAF is involved at this point. I seriously doubt the NJSC would grant review after they changed their mind on Pantano (although Almeida's "justifiable need" is better than Pantano's IMO). Not to mention Pantano will have their shot at SCOTUS review before Almeida is even through the NJ court system.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I don't have a copy of the opinion but I will get it when it becomes available. But they basically agree with the prosecutor.

SAF is going to take it if/when it goes to SCOTUS, as in petitioning for a writ of certiorari.

It has to go through the appellate division first and then to NJSC (if they grant certiorari).

Yes it is a long shot but it is a shot nonetheless. The key as you said is that Almeida's justifiable need matches NJ's definition exactly yet he was denied. This is almost like muller who was granted a permit to make him go away.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    The judge basically agreed with the prosecutor lock, stock and barrel.

Attachments

• Almeida prosecutor statement and response sup ct.PDF
      1.7 MB · Views: 164

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Once again, the NJ Courts reading too much into cert grants/denials:

"Due to the fact that the Supreme Court denied a petition of writ for certiorari in the Drake matter earlier this month, the state submits the Applicant's constitutional challenges to our state's firearm laws are without merit."

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    They may interpret that in their minds, however case law is clear ,"The denial of a writ of certiorari imports no expression of opinion upon the merits of the case, as the bar has been told many times." US v. Carver 1923.
    To say a case is without merit when the Supreme Court and the NJSC haven't addressed it is BS. Sure they may not agree but "without merit" is usually reserved for criminal defendants trying to beat a felon-in-possession rap with a 2A defense. Not to mention other courts have held the opposite.

You expect judges to follow the law though...

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Hopefully Peruta will be settled when this case gets higher up. I want to see how they will address a circuit split that is miles deep.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The judge basically agreed with the prosecutor lock, stock and barrel.

Was there ever an opinion rendered for when Jeff Muller finally got his permit? Or just behind closed doors,"Here's your permit, now disappear"?

As I understand NJ's appellate courts, they don't operate on a territorial basis like most states and the Federal Circuits. Thus, appellate court opinions are binding upon future appellate courts (unless the state or US Supreme court undercuts it), so there's almost no chance of a "split" in the appellate courts of NJ. So, Almeida could potentially sail through quickly (with a loss) by conceding the court precedent is against him. Gives us another bite of the apple at SCOTUS quickly. If SCOTUS passes on Pantano, it obviously would seem Almeida goes the same way. But, the other cases still alive causing deeper splits may get this one through.
    I'm betting the SAF got involved because it gives them another shot at SCOTUS and they're not having to spend much on it, with Nappen doing the work in NJ state court. All the losses have to be wearing on SAF's funds.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I believe they just approved his permit with the application form noted as such. If you look at the briefs for Drake that is how they are disposed of.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    There has been so much judicial gymnastics here by the gang in the black robes you would swear you're watching quidditch in a Harry Potter movie.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Oh here we go again . . .

Update: And he is . . . going . . . going . . . gone :whack: Again :sad20:

Last edited:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    There has been so much judicial gymnastics here by the gang in the black robes you would swear you're watching quidditch in a Harry Potter movie.

What gets me (among many things in NJ) is that they're telling Almedia to get "armed security". The NJ courts have repeatedly said that protecting property alone isn't sufficient "justifiable need". So how does "armed security" get a permit in the first place? Armored car companies don't do this type of work AFAIK.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Armed security companies have to have a private detective license and to obtain one you need either 5 years experience in an organized police department as a law enforcement officer or you need to have worked for a private detective agency for 5 years. In short it's a blatant admission that they are reserving the right to be armed in public to people who are either former law enforcement officers or who have some connection to law enforcement.

Also they make the process for obtaining a SORA card (security officer registration) much easier for former law enforcement officers. As a result most of them are former law enforcement officers.

It all goes back to the Siccardi decision. Read it. It explains a lot.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Armed security companies have to have a private detective license and to obtain one you need either 5 years experience in an organized police department as a law enforcement officer or you need to have worked for a private detective agency for 5 years. In short it's a blatant admission that they are reserving the right to be armed in public to people who are either former law enforcement officers or who have some connection to law enforcement.

Also they make the process for obtaining a SORA card (security officer registration) much easier for former law enforcement officers. As a result most of them are former law enforcement officers.

It all goes back to the Siccardi decision. Read it. It explains a lot.

Bingo. The whole racket IMO needs to be blown up. I'd rather have SCOTUS give us shall issue, but if that doesn't happen I'm not opposed to having all of these "exceptions" exposed and all on equal ground. Let's see if those police unions in NJ are so willing to vote for Dems if they lose their illegal perks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom