• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I would like to get a M1 carbine, for shooting and for admiration, if one can be found at a reasonable price. My grandfather carried both M1s in europe, the garand and the carbine, and I would like to get both in my collection. At this point I have a garand, so now I'm looking for a carbine.

That said, is there any particular way I should go about looking for one, and what is a fair price? I'm not looking for a rare manufacturer's mark, nor for one in such pristine condition that I wouldn't want to shoot it (or pay the elevated price). Presently I'm only asking if I happen to drop in at a gun shop, and have not yet gotten lucky.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    For a GI shooter, Inland (GM) is the most common. A mis-match one in good shape should be in the $700 ballpark. You may also find some Winchesters for decent prices. The more odd ball makers will hurt your wallet more.(IBM, Rockola, etc)

Now if you just want a shooter for a cheaper price, look for a Universal. These are post-war civilian manufacture guns. For me though, the historical value is worth the extra cost of a GI gun.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    The kid and I were in Annapolis yesterday since we were there he wanted to stop in the Armory and they had 6 or 7 carbines there. Prices were reasonable for them, 1450.00. Lol ,,,, I hate that place, always have. Looked like the narcissist wife is running the store now.

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Checkpoint Charlies has a National Postal Meter for $795 right now. I will caveat by saying I haven't dealt with them, maybe somebody else has.

gunbanshee

Apr 14, 2013
    Buyer beware

You can get a shooter anywhere from $400 up if you check the internet. The first thing you need to ask is what you prefer. Do you want it as a collector,
    a shooter or both. Do you want a military or a commercial version. Parts are a problem with the commercials as the military parts do not all fit depending
    on who made the carbine. There is a site on the internet by German /Austrianguy that offers a bevy of info on M1 carbine that covers almost everything.
    If you buy a military version you are better off because all of the military M1sare built to one spec making the parts interchangable. There is no such thing
    as a carbine with matching numbers because of the methods that was used to mass produce them. You might find one that has all the parts made by the same contractor but that is as close as you are going to get. The Ser. # is on the end of the reciever and thats the only place. You'll find numbers onthe other parts
    but they are from the parts suppliers. About 7-9 vendors made these weapons during WW II but all traded parts to keep up the quotas.There were approximetly 8 million made by the end of the war. The condition of the Gun is another factor, if it looks new it's probably been refinished. If you are an experianced shooter look it over very good. One of the reply to your post reccomended a bore gauge which is a very good idea. When it doubt have it checked out. The commercial versions usually work well but they are quirky depending on how well the mag fits the well, the ammo used, feed issues and other things. You ought to see the gun in person, which you can't do over the internet, which is my personal reccomendation. A gun show is probably the best place and your best bet. There are dealers that specializein M1 carbines only and ones that sell Carbines and M1 Garands. Since you own a garand you can see how competent they answer questions about the garand and gauge what kind of answers you will get about the carbine. At the shows you have all kinds of people offering an opinion or facts about this gun and also you can get parts, accessories and manuals. If you've done any kind of smithing you my find a cheap "Beater" that shoots well and just redo it. Usually an old one will have the parkerizing worn off and the commercials are usually blued. Check out the reputation of the ones built new such as Auto Ordnance. If you are in Maryland from what I've heard and seen Fulton Armory in Savage Md. builds an excellant military spec. version for about$1,500. Finally, for a shooter, this is only a medium range rifle made for 300 yards and under. Most states will not let you hunt deer with it. Its power ranges from somewhere over a .44 magnum to a little less than 7.62X45 (AR15). Its Light. Loud, Fun and Accurate at the right range. I know this is a lot to consider. I shot one of these when I was about 11 and have not stopped since, I'll be 62 next week. I've owned 8 of them and my buddy and I have refinished about 25 of them. They area very pleasurable weapon to own. Hope this helps you out.

Last edited:

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    You can get a shooter anywhere from $400 up if you check the internet. The first thing you need to ask is what you prefer. Do you want it as a collector,
    a shooter or both. Do you want a military or a commercial version. Parts are a problem with the commercials as the military parts do not all fit depending
    on who made the carbine. There is a site on the internet by German /Austrianguy that offers a bevy of info on M1 carbine that covers almost everything.
    If you buy a military version you are better off because all of the military M1sare built to one spec making the parts interchangable. There is no such thing
    as a carbine with matching numbers because of the methods that was used to mass produce them. You might find one that has all the parts made by the same contractor but that is as close as you are going to get. The Ser. # is on the end of the reciever and thats the only place. You'll find numbers onthe other parts
    but they are from the parts suppliers. About 7-9 vendors made these weapons during WW II but all traded parts to keep up the quotas.There were approximetly 8 million made by the end of the war. The condition of the Gun is another factor, if it looks new it's probably been refinished. If you are an experianced shooter look it over very good. One of the reply to your post reccomended a bore gauge which is a very good idea. When it doubt have it checked out. The commercial versions usually work well but they are quirky depending on how well the mag fits the well, the ammo used, feed issues and other things. You ought to see the gun in person, which you can't do over the internet, which is my personal reccomendation. A gun show is probably the best place and your best bet. There are dealers that specializein M1 carbines only and ones that sell Carbines and M1 Garands. Since you own a garand you can see how competent they answer questions about the garand and gauge what kind of answers you will get about the carbine. At the shows you have all kinds of people offering an opinion or facts about this gun and also you can get parts, accessories and manuals. If you've done any kind of smithing you my find a cheap "Beater" that shoots well and just redo it. Usually an old one will have the parkerizing worn off and the commercials are usually blued. Check out the reputation of the ones built new such as Auto Ordnance. If you are in Maryland from what I've heard and seen Fulton Armory in Savage Md. builds an excellant military spec. version for about$1,500. Finally, for a shooter, this is only a medium range rifle made for 300 yards and under. Most states will not let you hunt deer with it. Its power ranges from somewhere over a .44 magnum to a little less than 7.62X45 (AR15). Its Light. Loud, Fun and Accurate at the right range. I know this is a lot to consider. I shot one of these when I was about 11 and have not stopped since, I'll be 62 next week. I've owned 8 of them and my buddy and I have refinished about 25 of them. They area very pleasurable weapon to own. Hope this helps you out.

excellent first post, and welcome to the forum.

gunbanshee

Apr 14, 2013
    Buyer beware 2

On my posts I refered to (AR 15) ammo as 7.62X45 meant to say 5.56X45.
    Figure I better correct it myself than have some else and look stupid. Had
    7.62 on the brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom