• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wraith

Oct 19, 2009
    Denton
    I think in this case, the word Common is actually from the slang term Common. As the definition from the urban dictionary,

common

when some one does something real messed up.
    that was real common about what you had said about torry's mother!

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    One definition of Common Sense = a set of shared fundamental assumptions.

When someone says to you, "it just makes sense to do it this way", the statement is limited by their knowledge of the subject and certain assumptions.

These lawmakers don't have the knowledge of firearms or understanding of the subject of gun violence to the degree that they can establish what would be common sense measures.

throw it back at them.

The Founding of Our Idiocracy

Common sense is anything but common. Like every action a human being can perform, either physical or mental, common sense must be learned. A human being is not born with such ability, fully developed. And logic must accompany common sense. Logic is a discipline that is based upon fact and evidence of whatsoever is true. Logic teaches one to think. Without it, “common sense” would still dictate that the earth is flat. Logic used to be a required subject in school. It isn’t anymore. That isn’t an oversight. In his book The Intended Result of Education Bertrand Russell {an avowed communist} wrote: “Education should aim at destroying free will, so that, after pupils have left school, they shall be incapable, throughout the rest of their lives, of thinking or acting otherwise than as their schoolmasters would have wished.”

Does it come to anyone's surprise that The One has now embarked on a new campaign to indoctrinate preschoolers ? Common sense must be learned, but rout recitation of the words of Chairman Obamarx will be commonplace in the not too distant future preempting any critical and logical thought.

Get ‘Em Young: Obama’s Plan for Universal Preschool

I would suggest, for the sake of our discussions, that 'common sense' be changed to Constitutional Sense.

Shutterbug

Have camera, will travel!
    Nov 24, 2012
    AACo
    I find it funny when people, especially lawmakers, use this term. "It's time we had some common sense gun laws on the books....". Well, who wrote the gun laws that are CURRENTLY on the books? A lot of the same people! It's like they are admitting that they sucked a$$ the first 20 times they wrote gun laws, but somehow THIS time they will get it "right".

The twenty third time's the charm!

firestorm89

Dec 30, 2012
    Agreed. If you repeat a lie long enough...People will start saying.."well everyone knows that". How lies, and rehetoric, become a part of the common lexicon, catch phases.. I do believe most politicians are aware, they just believe the masses, on average, lack the intellect to know the difference.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    The Founding of Our Idiocracy

Does it come to anyone's surprise that The One has now embarked on a new campaign to indoctrinate preschoolers ? Common sense must be learned, but rout recitation of the words of Chairman Obamarx will be commonplace in the not too distant future preempting any critical and logical thought.

Get ‘Em Young: Obama’s Plan for Universal Preschool

I would suggest, for the sake of our discussions, that 'common sense' be changed to Constitutional Sense.

:thumbsup:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I believe when gun grabbers try to justify their position by insisting it’s based on “common sense,” they are really saying that, since gun owners don’t already “get it,” we are too stupid to see what “everybody” instinctively knows. They won’t waste time justifying their position to idiots. They know better and it’s their way or the highway.

This approach is just another form of bullying. When insisting their position is based on “common sense,” if we disagree, we must lack common sense and be intellectually inferior, so we’re not worth listening to. Their strategy is: don’t engage your opponents, dismiss them.

When addressing very serious issues of violence, crime, and rights, cutting off discussion is the LAST thing to do. In a real discussion everyone would attempt to justify their position by going through the facts point by point. Worse yet is listeners, who haven’t thought deeply about the issues and hear few facts being discussed, get very little education. All they hear is cheerleading. Most of these folks tend to just accept the “common sense” approach. Who could be against using “common sense”? Don’t complicate things by bringing facts into the discussion.

Anyone else see it this way?

Response

This is a soft rule 5 in the spirit of Dr Seus, which has the advantage of being based on a very serious argument I have given elsewhere. A search on burden of proof should bring it up, but i am remote right now..

DO NOT BE BULLIED. If they don't debate on our terms rule 5 and walk way ( search rule 5 for details )

If sense were common,
    there'd be no gun laws,
    as criminals do not commonly
    comply--

But as you persist
    Iwill insist ,
    That The burden, of prof,
    when you wish
    to restrict,
    a fundamental right--
    is always upon,
    those of you--
    that do!!

And when you have,
    a case to make,
    I'd love to hear it,
    for heavens sake---
    but till that time,
    i 've your leave to take--
    for somewhere there's
    a cake to bake!!

We must win. To win we must learn to fight the battle we are in, not the one we want to be in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom