• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I just received my CR permit and would like to purchase a Mosin. I would like some input on where to buy. There are alot of websites out there and I am uncertain which would be the best. Thanks in advance for the help.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I have seen a few Mosins from both Century and AIM, AIM's were better by far... in fact AIM's standard grade was better than Century's "Excellent" grade.

PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River
    I purchased one from each SOG, AIM & J&G Sales the one from AIM was far better then the other two. Dont get me wrong the other two were in good cond.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Classic Arms is probably the one dealer where the owner has some background and knowledge of the rifles and will do a good handpick for you if you ask. I would say call and ask for Ben.

AIM also tends to have good quality rifles as does JG Sales. JG was running a special on hex receiver rifles for $69, not sure if it is still on or not. They are good companies, they're just a lot bigger than Classic and you don't get the same kind of personal attention.

SOG seems to be hit or miss from what I hear. I've always gotten outstanding quality guns from them without paying a handpick fee, but I have some friends here who were less than satisfied with them.

In my opinion, I would avoid Century and Centerfire if it were me.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Stuff I've seen from AIM has always been far better quality than what I expected. They have round recievers for $69 and hex for $79 right now. If I were shopping for a Mosin (which I will be shortly) I would look there or at Classic Arms. I have heard a lot f good stuff about Mosins from there.

For those of you posting about J&G, everyone here have good opinions? I was thinking of making a purchase from them but have seen some mixed reviews online...

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    For those of you posting about J&G, everyone here have good opinions? I was thinking of making a purchase from them but have seen some mixed reviews online...

I bought a hex 91/30 from them recently. Not that I needed another one, but at $69 they were too cheap to pass up. I asked for a 1927 or before, and that is what I got, a 1927 Tula. They said there would be $10 handpick fee on the phone but they did not charge me it. The one I received is all 4 original numbers matching (bolt, floorplate, buttplate, receiver) with no line outs or electropencil, and the bore is very good/excellent.

I thought the shipping would be a lot more from Arizona but it wasn't really. I can't remember exactly, I think it was right around 20 bucks.

So I have a good opinion of them from just this deal.

The only thing I don't like about the crop of Mosins imported in the last couple of years is that godawful import stamp on the left side of the receiver, as opposed to the small one on the right side or bottom of the muzzle where it used to be. But with the small letters, like this one has, it doesn't look too bad, and for 70 bucks what can I say. Besides, they're all marked that way any more no matter where you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom