• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    My post isn't sarcasm...that's how most people make purchases when they don't know better. I thought that was common knowledge but the fact that he's asking means he does something different.

I'm legitimately curious.

I just roll with it. Maybe i like living dangerously Im a believer in buy once cry once but that's me. It's all good man. On a side note, is your username in reference to omega red from x-men?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I just roll with it. Maybe i like living dangerously Im a believer in buy once cry once but that's me. It's all good man. On a side note, is your username in reference to omega red from x-men?

I agree...pay for quality.

Unfortunately, with this saturated market, even the best are stumbling. So that pay for quality thing is getting difficult too.

It is a reference to the character from x-men but admittedly, I had no idea who it was when I created an email address many years ago. A friend jokingly suggested it. Just recycled the name from that old email address.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    I agree...pay for quality.

Unfortunately, with this saturated market, even the best are stumbling. So that pay for quality thing is getting difficult too.

It is a reference to the character from x-men but admittedly, I had no idea who it was when I created an email address many years ago. A friend jokingly suggested it. Just recycled the name from that old email address.

Oh damn, he was one of my favorite characters as a kid
    I agree, especially with AR's and parts. It's probably due to the gun hobby in general booming in the way more than past few years. Lots of people/companies popping up to try and make a buck. Frankly the ar15 in general im just bored of lately, and I really hate saying that

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    That post by the way was not directed towards sotar in any way. I applaud what they are doing and enjoy their stuff. The popularity of ar's and the sea being full of good and bad fish im sure makes their job even harder to steer people in the right direction.

Shogunade

Mar 21, 2020
    Pretty sure a lot of us were buying mediocre stuff and wondering why it didn't run or hold up very well.

I'm new to this whole thing but I am a consumer and a great shopper. And from trying to source parts for my first AR build, I can tell you what theyre doing on the sellers side of it would make chinese companies blush.

They're are so many of the same products manufactured by one or two companies then stamped with a logo that they think is worth a ridiculous markup.

AR BCGs are a perfect example of this. That's why in the end I just followed this thread and picked up a SOG. They seem to put effort into what they're offering, while still not too big as to let some things slide as BCM has started to.

But as to omegareds offer, I'd rather just get the SOG serviced by SOTAR myself. At the end of the day, it wouldn't be a fair trade by a long shot. Itd be like offering me a signed flacco nike jersey for an authentic jackson field jersey.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I'm new to this whole thing but I am a consumer and a great shopper. And from trying to source parts for my first AR build, I can tell you what theyre doing on the sellers side of it would make chinese companies blush.

They're are so many of the same products manufactured by one or two companies then stamped with a logo that they think is worth a ridiculous markup.

AR BCGs are a perfect example of this. That's why in the end I just followed this thread and picked up a SOG. They seem to put effort into what they're offering, while still not too big as to let some things slide as BCM has started to.

But as to omegareds offer, I'd rather just get the SOG serviced by SOTAR myself. At the end of the day, it wouldn't be a fair trade by a long shot. Itd be like offering me a signed flacco nike jersey for an authentic jackson field jersey.

Believe it or not I know of one lightly used Aero BCG with the reliability service that sold for more than the price of a new SOLGW BCG. Some would say I would be on the losing end.

Either way, you made a good choice with the SOLGW in stock form. Don't worry about the imperfections you posted. Both of mine look like that.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    your channel seems to be growing very quickly chad. i find myself inspecting all my bolt carrier groups much more thoroughly now, to the best that i can of course.

I want a set of those bore/firing pin hole/ gas key gauges you have.

they expensive ? where can i get a set at ?

I don't sell the gauges that measure the carrier 3 bore. Those particular gauge dimensions are from extensive troubleshooting and diagnosing troublesome bolt carriers.

The TDP or technical data package does list the 3 bore dimensions, but those dimensions apply to military weapons that fire NATO spec ammunition. That is much different than what we see on the civilian side in regards to the variables in oarts magazines, gas systems, buffer systems, lubrication and ammunition.

I don't share that information with anyone except for students who have signed a waiver.

You can buy pin gauges from MSC to test the 3 bore and gas key areas. The pin gauges normally run about $7 to $8 each before shipping. That doesn't include the fancy handles or the stamping that I put on them.

The fring pin hole gauge that I use is a modified one that is called a taper plug gauge. I make those for sale a few times a year. They are copies of the USGI Gauge.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Nice to see this thing is still going. I was in a bit of a rush trying to get a good one before they were all gone. The PSA BCG is still in its box, I picked up the Spike's and installed it. Is there a list of known good BCGs, or what? Lord knows I get AR ADD sometimes, but I had time and money in hand.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice to see this thing is still going. I was in a bit of a rush trying to get a good one before they were all gone. The PSA BCG is still in its box, I picked up the Spike's and installed it. Is there a list of known good BCGs, or what? Lord knows I get AR ADD sometimes, but I had time and money in hand.
    I have my favorites, but if you're starting off blind, I tell people to make sure the recess for the bolt is chrome lined as well as the gas key. Make sure the gas key screws don't have lettering on them or that it is advertised as having grade 8 gas key screws. None of this guarantees a perfect BCG, but it's a good place to start.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

I think it's a moving target. I know SOLGW and BCM are typically good and as Outrider mentioned, they state specs accordingly.

With that said it looks like Geissele is good to go right now as is Sionics.

I had a 4 year old PSA premium BCG that gauged out perfectly. Same with two Aero BCGs. But again, they were several years old. Who knows where QC has gone over the years. I know Chad has gauged AO Precision BCGs and they came out good to go. They are under 80 bucks I believe. Swap out the springs and you're set.

Also, be mindful of who is putting data out. Currently, Gorilla Machining has specs listed on their website for a BCG that is a cut and past from SOLGWs site. I let SOLGW know about it over a year ago and they confirmed that GM is not a vendor. They weren't happy about it. Whatever you do, I'd stick with Phospate and a 158 bolt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom