• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huasopodrido

Aug 12, 2014
    I have this rifle, A gift many years ago. I have shot it many times over these years. This rifle now being over 100 years old, my question is head spacing. IT does shoot well, never a hang up or misfire. But, safety first! Should I have a concern?

Thanks
    Jose

Attachments

• IMG_20200413_121532.jpg
      IMG_20200413_121532.jpg
      188.9 KB · Views: 412
    • 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200413121603188_COVER.jpg
      00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200413121603188_COVER.jpg
      107.6 KB · Views: 424
    • 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200413121638104_COVER.jpg
      00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200413121638104_COVER.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 397

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I went down this road with my 1917 a while back, these do not headspace like normal rifles, you have to be careful if you do get a gauge, the action is designed to provide a very significant forward camming force that isn't typical on 1903s or other designs, and should be checked with light fiinger pressure only when closing the action on a gauge. Using too much force can damage the gauge or rifle. I'll see if I can find the link to it but there was an article in the 1930s or 40s about headspacing these rifles when they were sold onto the civilian market that excessive headspaces were reported but when gauged by the factory everything was normal.

Long story short if you're not having problems its probably not an issue. If you do get a gauge be careful with it. I went with a field gauge personally.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Red1917 covered it. I remember shopping for mine, and agonizing over headspacing. I took a chance, and got lucky. There is a lot of internet "evidence" suggesting that just because it gauges to have excessive headspace, it isn't necessarily dangerous to shoot. If you reload, you just neck size the brass and only shoot it out of that rifle. I'd still be a little nervous though. The action is very strong (you'll see a lot of these have been sporterized into big game calibers because of that). If you do invest in a set of gauges (which, if you are going to collect milsurps, you might as well do), use a very light touch, as Red suggested, so you don't damage anything. Remember that it cocks on closing, so either dissassemble the bolt or hold the trigger while closing it so you are not fighting the spring when feeling for the gauge.

Does the fired brass look weird coming out of it...like stretch marks or flattened or pushed out primers? Does the bolt match?

If you are really worried, find a gunsmith experienced with old rifles and they could probably check the headspace for you for less than the cost of a set of gauges.

Also, if you put your serial number in here, it looks like her birthday is this month: https://oldguns.net/sn_php/mildateslookup.php?file=us_m1917wra.dat

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Remington Model 30 is a factory sporterized 1917 and a beautiful rifle on its own. Would that have the same procedure for head spacing? If so, a Remington manual would be of help...I believe old manuals are obtainable from Remington's website.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    You might be able to order a rcbs precision mic and measure the fired case. It it comes out too big then it has bad headspace, maybe, probably.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    The Remington Model 30 is a factory sporterized 1917 and a beautiful rifle on its own. Would that have the same procedure for head spacing? If so, a Remington manual would be of help...I believe old manuals are obtainable from Remington's website.

Good call, I found this thread that talks about 1917/model 30 headspace in the second post that claims to reference an American rifleman article from 1934:

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=34474

I can’t find the original article so take it for what it’s worth

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Make sure you strip the bolt completely less extractor collar and use a Clymer field gauge. You will feel the extraction cams work just a few degrees before the bolt is completely in battery so you don't want to "crush" or swage the chamber. Soon as you feel resistance stop and use a very light touch.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I have a set of .30-06 headspace gauges. Once this quarantine nonsense is over, you are welcome to come over and use them to check the rifle.

Huasopodrido

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks much to all for the great advice and input! I dont have any of the spent brass from this rifle as I give all my brass to shooters that reload. Never heard anything back with issues, so I guess it's good to go.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Thanks much to all for the great advice and input! I dont have any of the spent brass from this rifle as I give all my brass to shooters that reload. Never heard anything back with issues, so I guess it's good to go.

I wouldn't expect to hear back from them, even if there were problems, unless you knew them really well. When I get others' range castoffs, it all goes into a large container until I'm ready to process a batch. I inspect and gage each case individually, but have no way to know who gave me a particular case unless they are known for having some really off-brand headstamped stuff.

Doco's advice is perfect; use a field gage rather than no-go, and strip the bolt first.

I have two 1917s, one Winchester, one Eddystone. Both pass field gaging. But 1917s are known for having somewhat loose chambers. Remember, these were combat weapons intended for use in muddy, sandy trenches, not target rifles. In that environment, looseness=reliability. Life of brass for reloading was definitely not a concern.

Also, if you don't have one in your spares box, get yourself an ejector when you see one for sale. It's the weakest part of these rifles. That's not a safety issue, but having to pull out hot brass by hand during a match, because the ejector's spring portion snapped off, isn't fun.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!

Sounds like you are indeed gtg and wouldny worry about it unless you have detected a brass anomaly. Brass that comes from your rifle you may have noticed primers partially above the head of the case which you would have seen right away if chamber pressure wasn't extremely high such as a modest factory or hand-loaded cartridge or primer hits that were way off center from where the case was laying at the bottom of the chamber.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    You are not experiencing any problems so there is something to be said for don't fix what isn't broken. Especially if you only use new cases once.

The rifle looks like a Winchester in the original finish.

If it has the original barrel you'd be foolish to muck with it even if the headspace were to measure a tad long on a modern commercial gauge.

If you installed a new Criterion barrel with minimum headspace you would actually devalue the rifle. That's not even counting the cost of the new barrel and the expense of installing it.

Get a copy of "Hatcher's Notebook" and read about some headspace experiments done in the 1920's with M1917 Enfields. He described fretting about it as measuring cord-wood with a micrometer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom