• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Haven’t tried it yet but I’m liking this idea of “water glassing” to store eggs for winter use. Store the fresh, unwashed eggs in a solution of water and hydrated lime. They’ll keep for 8 months like this.

[YT]bTlcCvvUjl0[/YT]

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Good info Thanks for posting that.
    I wish these videos would just give me the facts and save me all the bla bla bla...

Here is a summary: you can preserve your eggs for up to 8 months in a solution of water and hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide) Ca(OH)2
    The solution ratio is 1oz by weight of hydrated lime per quart of water.
    The eggs must not be washed ahead of time.
    You must keep them submerged during storage.
    When you want to use them just take them out and rinse them off.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    I'm so glad some are actively preserving the lessons learned from a by-gone-era, because one day this thin veneer of a society will crumble.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Where does a brother get hydrated lime locally? TSC didn’t have it, at least not that I saw.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'm so glad some are actively preserving the lessons learned from a by-gone-era, because one day this thin veneer of a society will crumble.

Better preserve the ability to make calcium hydroxide and sodium silicate because you will not be driving down to the local store to get them once this thin veneer of a society crumbles.

Best bet is breeding chickens and keeping them around for the long haul.

When society crumbles, fridges and electricity will also be in short supply.

Great time to do a trial run for a complete SHTF scenario. Turn off the main to the electric coming into your house and see what it is like for a week or two and do not leave the house to go shopping.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Better preserve the ability to make calcium hydroxide and sodium silicate because you will not be driving down to the local store to get them once this thin veneer of a society crumbles.

Best bet is breeding chickens and keeping them around for the long haul.

When society crumbles, fridges and electricity will also be in short supply.

Great time to do a trial run for a complete SHTF scenario. Turn off the main to the electric coming into your house and see what it is like for a week or two and do not leave the house to go shopping.

Making sodium silicate
    https://www.thoughtco.com/make-sodium-silicate-or-water-glass-608271

How to Make Quicklime
    https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Quicklime

Slaking lime (Turning Quick Lime into Hydrated Lime)
    https://www.lowimpact.org/infoarticle/slaking-lime/

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I started water glassing eggs in September, and I’m just about to the bottom of the first 5 gallon bucket. These eggs are 4 months old and are perfectly fine. Water glassing is definitely a winner!

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Something I saw also was petroleum jelly. Saw that on a show about a sailing ship going to Antarctica. Stocked up with 1000's of eggs. Covered in PJ and rotated on a routine basis (monthly I think). Keeps the eggs yolks from going wonkers.
    What lime did you end up with?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Something I saw also was petroleum jelly. Saw that on a show about a sailing ship going to Antarctica. Stocked up with 1000's of eggs. Covered in PJ and rotated on a routine basis (monthly I think). Keeps the eggs yolks from going wonkers.
    What lime did you end up with?

This is the line we used

Attachments

• 9C558786-2894-4452-BBAE-9BAA2545DB97.jpg
      9C558786-2894-4452-BBAE-9BAA2545DB97.jpg
      47.4 KB · Views: 186

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Looks like HD and Loews f do not carry it around here. I’m thinking this is some thing to grab from the local brick yard.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    On submarines, we stored eggs in the escape trunks and torpedo tubes because the ocean waters kept those areas cool especially in the North Atlantic.
    We never rotated the eggs in their containers but never seemed to have a problem with them going bad. They lasted for months before we had to shift to powdered eggs.

I'm starting up my own chicken coop. My cousin bought hundreds of chicks of various breeds for her farm so she let us come over and pick 6 for our own coop. They are in the brooder now, maturing.
    My neighbor is upgrading his coop and is giving us his old coop for free. So far, I'm into this for about $30. They won't start producing until around September but I couldn't get a coop fast enough to take on mature birds right away.
    They are far less maintenance intensive than I expected. I should have done this a couple of years ago.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Thanks AB. I have some of that. I'll try doing it next year. Talked with a friend yesterday, Spend 40+ years working concrete and he said he only knew two types of lime. Ag and what they used in concrete. I have some that will spread in the animal pen. No harm to the animals. Figure that would be ok also.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Unwashed eggs.

I grew up farm sitting every summer. Friends had 100 chickens. The majority of the eggs I picked, daily, had a smear of poo. We would scrub and rinse each egg.

By unwashed, do you mean, leave the poo on?

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Unwashed eggs.

I grew up farm sitting every summer. Friends had 100 chickens. The majority of the eggs I picked, daily, had a smear of poo. We would scrub and rinse each egg.

By unwashed, do you mean, leave the poo on?
    If you wash an egg you are removing the "bloom" a natural protective coating. The eggs have to be refrigerated if that coating is washed off. My eggs sometimes stay on the counter for a week or two before I eat them. I don't wash them unless they are really dirty and that right before I cook them. I've been doing it this way 10+ years and haven't got sick once doing it this way.

Choko

May 14, 2022
    Frederick
    Haven’t tried it yet but I’m liking this idea of “water glassing” to store eggs for winter use. Store the fresh, unwashed eggs in a solution of water and hydrated lime. They’ll keep for 8 months like this.

[YT]bTlcCvvUjl0[/YT]
    They'll keep a lot longer if stored properly. 1 year if you're going to eat just the eggs. 2 years if you're going to use them as an ingredient. Mainly the whites get cloudy and the yolks lose color after a year or so. Excellent way to store eggs.

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    I watched someone on YouTube use a silicone muffin pan crack a dozen eggs in them then froze them. Stored in a Plastic baggie and said good up to a year. Anyone ever try this method?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom