• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Actually I remember your pantry post and I sort of model that method. I still need to build the can holders. The big problem I have is that I seem to be the only one in the house who tries to actually rotate stock. Everyone else just sticks the newest cans, bottles and boxes right in front of the old ones.

Or worse I find three different jars of open peanuts....

I made something very similar to this. New cans go in the top and they get used from the bottom.
    http://surviveourcollapse.com/build-a-great-can-food-storage-rack-for-cheap/

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Fabs...you are a smart and industrious guy. I admire your motivation and intellect.

Just how long do you think those deer...or any other game, are going to last in a grid down situation? Up here, I get to compete with lots of country boys and hillbillies for our game supply. I’m a pretty good hunter or was in the day. I’m a better than average shot. I can butcher a deer as well as most. I can smoke and or salt the meat.

What I can’t do is guarantee that the wildlife is gonna be abundant for much longer than one season if that.

So, I plan on that source as a potential augmentation with no guarantee of it lasting.

Just a thought from someone who gives things like this some thought.

It’s true they wouldn’t last long in a very long term SHTF situation along with groundhogs, crows, possum, ect.

However short of that, say a Katrina style event hitting a large metro area and spanning several months, or a total quarantine, people would take advantage if whatever food sources were readily available.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Actually I remember your pantry post and I sort of model that method. I still need to build the can holders. The big problem I have is that I seem to be the only one in the house who tries to actually rotate stock. Everyone else just sticks the newest cans, bottles and boxes right in front of the old ones.

Or worse I find three different jars of open peanuts....

Change the orientation of your pantry from front/back to left right and build shelves with a slight slant. Here’s a you tube vid which admittedly I found just the other day. Load from the left, use from the right...

Using corner bead to create lanes on the shelves - genius...

https://youtu.be/NZbqU9qxUgA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    It’s true they wouldn’t last long in a very long term SHTF situation along with groundhogs, crows, possum, ect.

However short of that, say a Katrina style event hitting a large metro area and spanning several months, or a total quarantine, people would take advantage if whatever food sources were readily available.

There’s a YouTube channel about depression era cooking that I watch and one of the things the lady talks about is picking dandelions and other greens on her way home from school so they could have salad with their dinner.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    There’s a YouTube channel about depression era cooking that I watch and one of the things the lady talks about is picking dandelions and other greens on her way home from school so they could have salad with their dinner.

Every part of a dandelion is edible - flowers, stems, leaves, and roots.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Change the orientation of your pantry from front/back to left right and build shelves with a slight slant. Here’s a you tube vid which admittedly I found just the other day. Load from the left, use from the right...

Using corner bead to create lanes on the shelves - genius...

https://youtu.be/NZbqU9qxUgA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dang that’s a fantastic idea!

DOM

Nov 19, 2012
    Thanks for posting this. Considering that many people don't even have 2 weeks of TP or bottled water in the house, much less the food they need to live, this makes a lot of sense. Sadly, just about the only time most people think about stuff like this is during the crazy times.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Thanks for posting this. ...

+1; and hopefully, if nothing else positive comes out of the COVID-19 pandemic it will serve as a “wake up” to millions of humans and young generation Americans in particular ... (and hopefully those spouses, siblings, mates, etc. that are so frustrating to their other halves who are about upping their game ....)

(Expect to see the above cross-posted, and appear in other, related threads!)

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    +1; and hopefully, if nothing else positive comes out of the COVID-19 pandemic it will serve as a “wake up” to millions of humans and young generation Americans in particular ... (and hopefully those spouses, siblings, mates, etc. that are so frustrating to their other halves who are about upping their game ....)

(Expect to see the above cross-posted, and appear in other, related threads!)
    You can’t “wake up” the woke...

Two weeks has it nearly long enough. I would recommend a month minimum. Everybody is talking about these 14-day quarantines but the 14-day quarantine is for those people who think they had been exposed. The other type of quarantine that no one seems to be talking about is when the government tells you to stay in your house for an indefinite period Of time. I'm not saying that they are going to do this but it is always a possibility with an event like this.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I’m not in the country either but I am very close to Patapsco Park and quite a few regular deer trails through our neighborhood towards the river.

I really need to get proficient with a bow or crossbow at least just in case it became necessary to discretely harvest a deer in times of need.

Not advocating anything illegal but, hard times call for hard decisions. This is where a suppressed.22 with a light comes in handy. Very least some .22 quiets. Bows and crossbows seldom drop a deer immediately. Running around with a light trailing a deer is going to raise attention. Poachers AFAIK don’t use them.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    First part of planning is getting supplies in place. Next step is determining what gets eaten first. At what point do you start supplementing with wild game. A lot depends on if/for how long electricity and refrigeration is available. Harvesting a Deer in Aaugust with no refrigeration is a waste of the resource, unless you can community share like native tribal peoples.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    First part of planning is getting supplies in place. Next step is determining what gets eaten first. At what point do you start supplementing with wild game. A lot depends on if/for how long electricity and refrigeration is available. Harvesting a Deer in Aaugust with no refrigeration is a waste of the resource, unless you can community share like native tribal peoples.

You can salt and dry the meat to preserve it for months, you can pressure can it in mason jars and keep it for several years.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Yep, my dad talks about eating dandelions all the time. There is another thing that he and my mother eat, called brocolleti. Americans consider it a weed. We have stopped on the side of fields to pick it. Somewhat of a cross between spinach and broccoli, but bitter. We have seen cut cornfields full of the stuff all along the edge of the fields. One time, my Taurus' trunk was full of the stuff and I had to shove my mom back into the car to get her to stop cutting it.

Remember, both of my parents lived through the aftermath of WWII in Italy. My dad had a slightly harder time than my mother because he lived up north where industry and manufacturing plants were and we bombed the crap out of that area. My parents were born in 1942 and 1943. They both tell me that Americans are not ready for hardship. Guess we would take it as it comes.

Another thing I realize is that most Americans do NOT have firearms. In a real SHTF scenario, I realize that murder is on the table, going both ways. I could be killed by somebody or I could possibly kill somebody. I expect the population of people to drop significantly in a true SHTF scenario. Going to be a lot less people out there after a SHTF scenario. Less cars killing deer too.

I don't want to brag here, but I am also a pretty good wing shooter, duck/goose caller, etc. My dad tells me stories about how he would set up a fake tree in Italy to catch little birds. He had cages with songbirds in them. He would hang them on this fake tree and the other birds would come in. Unbeknownst to them, my dad had a stick substance on the tree and he would club them when they landed. Then, there is the story of my uncle going around and shooting a sack full of birds with a pellet gun. Food was scarce, but they were able to find it one way or another.

I also have a bike or two and can use them to travel.

If there is a real SHTF scenario, how many people are going to have years and years of dry good stored up. Better to have the skills and knowledge, than to rely on what was bought at the grocery store. Not saying that people should not stock up for a short term issue, but I think people are kidding themselves if they think that they can buy enough food for a long term SHTF scenario.

One of my best friends and I were talking about this a couple months ago. More about the grid going down and not having YouTube and the internet. My buddy said, "That is when we find out who was paying attention in class."

Learn to fish, instead of buying fish. Just a twist on a saying.

Also, don't think I would be against "stealing" a couple of domesticated animals and bringing them back to my place. Maybe breed them, etc.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Can also smoke it to preserve it. Might be hard to find salt in a SHTF scenario. Long way to the ocean to boil water and get salt. Guess the bay isn't too far though, but not as much salt content in that water.

If you're smart you've bought several of the 25 pound bags of table salt from Sam's club at $4 a bag and have them tucked away for just this purpose. :innocent0

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    If you don't already have that in your kit, there is a problem. :D

If anyone doesn't have some kind of emergency kit now for this situation it's too late. When the rush for these things are over start building for the next one, likely hurricane season

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Also, don't think I would be against "stealing" a couple of domesticated animals and bringing them back to my place. Maybe breed them, etc.

You're not against stealing another man's property?
    Why not buy them from him or ask him to breed them for you?

You can salt and dry the meat to preserve it for months, you can pressure can it in mason jars and keep it for several years.

Can also smoke it to preserve it. Might be hard to find salt in a SHTF scenario. Long way to the ocean to boil water and get salt. Guess the bay isn't too far though, but not as much salt content in that water.

If you're smart you've bought several of the 25 pound bags of table salt from Sam's club at $4 a bag and have them tucked away for just this purpose. :innocent0

When used correctly, Cure #1 (sodium nitrite) and Cure #2 (sodium nitrate) can do some wonderful things for meat preservation. It is cheap and a little bit goes a long way...

https://www.amazon.com/Curing-Pragu...hild=1&keywords=cure+#1&qid=1584134619&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Curing-2-2lb...hild=1&keywords=cure+#2&qid=1584134680&sr=8-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom