• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Howdy folks - wife and I are looking to get an in-ground pool filled in this winter. Some concrete broken up and pushed in, a few items yanked out for trash (diving board for example), fencing you can take and recycle or sell for scrap.

Would need fill dirt and top soil brought in and tamped down a few times as the process goes along. Sod would be awesome, but I dont know if that's do-able in January.

One guy that gave us a good price for this work hasnt returned phone calls back to him over the last 2 or 3 weeks, so we're looking for other options that are affordable.

PM me if you're interested or know someone that would be reasonable in price (reasonable is under 5k for us) and I will work on getting photos and dimensions emailed out, probably by next week. I'm out of town this weekend...

Thanks!

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    OK let me make sure what we are talking about here. This an inground pool, you want the walk and some of the vertical top broken up and used for fill. What is the fence made of? How old is the pool?

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    @madmantrapper - correct. Pool is > 20 years old I was told. We've never used it, the previous owner let it go to shit and every quote we got to bring it back up to code is over 12 grand, which we just cant justify. Fence is chain link, about 4' tall. Walls are plywood (tell you how old it is?).

google earth image attached, rough outline of the patio is in blue.

ETA - we're happy if all the concrete would just go in for fill, plus tamped dirt on top so that we dont wind up with a sunken spot next spring when we go to seed.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
      Untitled.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 408

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    There's also a 10' x 10' plot of bamboo roots over on the other back corner of our property which we'd love to have dug out at the same time, if the equipment is already there. Plan on getting a new shed over a concrete pad there next year or so.

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    @madmantrapper - correct. Pool is > 20 years old I was told. We've never used it, the previous owner let it go to shit and every quote we got to bring it back up to code is over 12 grand, which we just cant justify. Fence is chain link, about 4' tall. Walls are plywood (tell you how old it is?).

ETA - we're happy if all the concrete would just go in for fill, plus tamped dirt on top so that we dont wind up with a sunken spot next spring when we go to seed.

One more question, is the pool filled right now? If so does the pump run and are you on city sewer septic? Is there a storm drain near you to pump to? OK three ?'s

Feb 28, 2013

From the looks of the pool relative to the street, you could probably fill the pool in and build a nice garage/man cave right there. Looks easy to get vehicles in and out.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    I'd be so tempted to turn it into a greenhouse.

Otherwise, good luck. Pools can be an enormous pain in the butt. Work friends had pools that made a boat look like a good investment. The next door neighbor had his filled in and his contractor charged him for topsoil but he got some pretty gnarly fill. Be careful with what you're getting.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fill dirt should be nearly free if you know the right people that owe you a favor or three.

Winter is the worst time for that job IMO. You need to wait until spring and summer when people are having their yards dug out for hardscape projects, etc.

Some guys pile up dirt somewhere, but that means it'd a job to pile it back on a trailer.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    One more question, is the pool filled right now? If so does the pump run and are you on city sewer septic? Is there a storm drain near you to pump to? OK three ?'s

Not sure its a good idea to pump chlorinated water into a storm drain. Probably an MDE violation with a big fine attached.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Not sure its a good idea to pump chlorinated water into a storm drain. Probably an MDE violation with a big fine attached.

But you do know that public, 'city' water is chlorinated?

Maybe 3ppm in a Pool. Harford County releases water reports, they are usually around 4ppm where its tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom