• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown52

Dec 16, 2013
    My Grandfather passed about 4 or 5 years ago and left behind a Rugger 9mm handgun. While he didn't will it to anyone specifically, my Dad has been holding on to it since then where it has sat on a shelf in the garage and collected dust (Its been in a case so no dust has actually gotten into the gun itself for the record). I just got my HQL in the mail and intend to claim the handgun as my own. The MD gun laws are quite confusing, so Im wondering if anyone can tell me where I need to go from here to make the gun legitimately mine.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I am not a lawyer. To the best of my knowledge, the executor of your grandfathers estate could transfer this to you. This can be done at either an MSP barracks or a Maryland FFL.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    My Grandfather passed about 4 or 5 years ago and left behind a Rugger 9mm handgun. While he didn't will it to anyone specifically, my Dad has been holding on to it since then where it has sat on a shelf in the garage and collected dust (Its been in a case so no dust has actually gotten into the gun itself for the record). I just got my HQL in the mail and intend to claim the handgun as my own. The MD gun laws are quite confusing, so Im wondering if anyone can tell me where I need to go from here to make the gun legitimately mine.

An heir to an inherited regulated firearm must fill out Form 77R. See PS Article 5-102. If it were me, I would do so at a FFL or State Police barracks (DON'T take the gun into the barracks -- call ahead of time, tell them that you are coming and arrange a time. When you get there, go inside WITHOUT the gun and ask for help -- a trooper will come outside and get it from your vehicle and take it inside).

See PS Article 5-102:

This subtitle does not apply to:
    (8) the receipt of a regulated firearm by inheritance, if the heir forwards to the Secretary a completed application to purchase or transfer that regulated firearm; or

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I am not a lawyer. To the best of my knowledge, the executor of your grandfathers estate could transfer this to you. This can be done at either an MSP barracks or a Maryland FFL.

If the grandfather died 4-5 years ago, I am guessing the estate has long been closed and the executor is no longer the executor. His/her duties are over. Ask an attorney.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    An heir to an inherited regulated firearm must fill out Form 77R. See PS Article 5-102. If it were me, I would do so at a FFL or State Police barracks (DON'T take the gun into the barracks -- call ahead of time, tell them that you are coming and arrange a time. When you get there, go inside WITHOUT the gun and ask for help -- a trooper will come outside and get it from your vehicle and take it inside).

See PS Article 5-102:

This subtitle does not apply to:
    (8) the receipt of a regulated firearm by inheritance, if the heir forwards to the Secretary a completed application to purchase or transfer that regulated firearm; or

No need to go to MSP barracks. File out Form 77R and forward it to the licensing bureau.

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    may not have been registered in the past. might just be able to register through MSP. But like others have said call ahead.

Naptown52

Dec 16, 2013
    Not only that, remove any ammunition from the magazine(s) before you place the firearm..... in the enclosed case..... in the trunk of your car.

Basically, IF you go to MSP Barracks, leave the magazine and ammo at home!!!!!!!

10-4. I learned the rules of transporting a gun in my HQL class. I called the Liscensing division of the MD state police. After explaining my situation and being transferred probbably 4 to 5 times, they advised me to come to a barracks with the gun (unloaded, in a case, and leave any ammo at home) and my Gradfathers death certificate (which I hope one of my parents saved) and they would have me fill out a form to transfer it to me. Im off work this Wednesday, so I think Im going to give it a go.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Good Grief! Anything else he has to do???

It would be advisable for him to locate the serial number on the handgun ahead of time. If this requires removal of the grips, then keep the grips off to save the hassle of removing them again at the barracks, because the trooper has to check the serial number. Also, he should establish ahead of time whether or not the firearm was manufactured later than 1984, and if so, make sure that the model is listed on the Maryland Handgun Roster, because this is one of the questions on the 77R transfer form.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    It would be advisable for him to locate the serial number on the handgun ahead of time. If this requires removal of the grips, then keep the grips off to save the hassle of removing them again at the barracks, because the trooper has to check the serial number. Also, he should establish ahead of time whether or not the firearm was manufactured later than 1984, and if so, make sure that the model is listed on the Maryland Handgun Roster, because this is one of the questions on the 77R transfer form.

If it is a transfer via inheritance, there is no need to take the gun to msp. Op just needs to get a 77r and mail it to msp. It also does not have to be on the roster, as this is not a sale.

Naptown52

Dec 16, 2013
    Yeah show me what a rugger 9mm is :)

Yea... Im a noob.

Update. I tried looking around my parents house for my Grandfathers death certificate, but they have legal documents/files all over the damn house. Its like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I gave up after about an hour. Very frustrating. I cant help but feel like this process would be significantly easier in another state.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Yea... Im a noob.

Update. I tried looking around my parents house for my Grandfathers death certificate, but they have legal documents/files all over the damn house. Its like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I gave up after about an hour. Very frustrating. I cant help but feel like this process would be significantly easier in another state.

Where did your grandfather die? Google the process for getting a copy of his death certificate in that state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom