• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cvillanueva

Feb 13, 2012
    Waldorf
    Shot this brand new 10/22 today but had a lot of difficulty releasing the bolt forward. Any techniques or suggestions?

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    The issues is using the bolt hold open and then trying to get the bolt to go forward after you insert a new mag. I sympathize with the OP...mine's a complete PITA and I don't ever use it because of that.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    Research, there is a mod for auto bolt release. You can either mod your existing, or buy a new one ($10). It will be so when pull the bolt back, it releases...

Fireball

Mar 5, 2013
    Rising Sun, md
    not hard to modify with a file. had an issue with it having some interference with an extended mag release lever that a few hits with some sandpaper cured.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    There are many who have this same problem with the 10/22... I also found it a bit difficult to get used to at first but it really IS rather simple to use if you practice even a little with it and get familiar with the function of the tab. It is an odd shaped tab, and depending on the size of your hands, can be a small or a great annoyance. But the fact is that you must practice with it to be able to get it to function properly every time.

Pressing the tab straight BACK toward the rear will cause the bolt to lock back.

Pull back on the bolt and press the tab straight UP to the top and it will allow the bolt to release and close when you let go of the bolt.

Could they have made it easier? YES... Can WE get better at using it the way it is made? YES... with just a little bit of practice. :thumbsup:

cvillanueva

Feb 13, 2012
    Waldorf
    If all else fails, read the manual... Which I did after the range. The range isn't a good place to figure out how to use the bolt lock/release mechanism. Thanks for the advice guys.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Just did Kidd recoil buffer, trigger kit and auto bolt release. Can't wait to shoot it, it feels like a dream.

Forgot to mention the mag release, but I have an older 10/22... The new ones have it already.

Although I will tell you I like the upgrade better. Pulls back, not up and in.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    There are many who have this same problem with the 10/22... I also found it a bit difficult to get used to at first but it really IS rather simple to use if you practice even a little with it and get familiar with the function of the tab. It is an odd shaped tab, and depending on the size of your hands, can be a small or a great annoyance. But the fact is that you must practice with it to be able to get it to function properly every time.

Pressing the tab straight BACK toward the rear will cause the bolt to lock back.

Pull back on the bolt and press the tab straight UP to the top and it will allow the bolt to release and close when you let go of the bolt.

Could they have made it easier? YES... Can WE get better at using it the way it is made? YES... with just a little bit of practice. :thumbsup:

I agree with Road Dawg. It's a pain but it is becoming more familiar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom