• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Yes, they've been awarded a downselect.

That's not an award, it just means they get to be in the final 3. For a contract that might not end up coming anyway. There might be some small contract $s for the final 3 to keep producing prototypes to test, but I am not aware there is even any money there for that.

Sorry but we’ll need to agree to disagree. Its an award but possibility not “the” final award.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Rounds fit in standard 5.56 mags!!!!! Just buy a new upper. I must say, years ago I was definitely tempted. But at 74 years young,
    I've got "PLENTY" for any civil insurrection.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I thought the whole point of the SAW concept was common ammo between the SAW and the rest of the squad.

The M240 was the upsized machine gun for longer range and more penetration.

So any caliber change for the light machine gun, would need to include a change in the basic carbine carried by the rest of the troops.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back at the imbedded video . I had been aware of most of those , but that CETME was a new one to me, and very intriguing . With the common root ancestor , but subsequent parallel developments , how similar is the design to the HK MG3 ? Albeit shrunken to 5.56 proportions of course .

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    The hype about 6.8 spc and 6.5 grendel was that the military might adopt it as a replacement for 5.56. There have been rumors of a 6.8 cartridge for the Fn M249 prototype replacement for years, but so far theyve just been rumors. It might be 6.8 spc, or something else. Until they do, ammo will be expensive and few people will dive in.

I see a lot more benefit to 6.5 Grendel. It's a nice long range cartridge that fits on a standard lower. You cant say that about many other calibers. Plus, Wolf makes cheap blasting ammo for it now, unlike other trendy calibers.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Wolf

I see a lot more benefit to 6.5 Grendel. It's a nice long range cartridge that fits on a standard lower. You cant say that about many other calibers. Plus, Wolf makes cheap blasting ammo for it now, unlike other trendy calibers.

I use wolf gold a lot in my ARs. Me likiez.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I use wolf gold a lot in my ARs. Me likiez.

Just wolf steel case. The wolf gold in 6.5G was made by PPU and PPU stopped making 6.5 grendel.they used rifle primers instead of everyone’s small rifle primers. Ended up having some issues and recalled their ammo. Haven’t produced it since. I’ve been hoping they would start producing it again, but it’s been a year or so and no dice.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, dang. I re-read it. Not available until December. Oh well, maybe a Christmas present for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom