• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    My buddy found a great deal on a 10" D cell suppressor kit. Matchgradecustoms.com is clearing out their aluminum tube kits with stainless steel solvent traps. We bought 2 kits at $100 each on closeout. I figured its a good way to learn, even if it isn't very good.

I'm holding off on building mine for right now, but my friend is getting his stamp and then we're going to build his kit. I started looking around and found titanium tubing online for about $4 an inch. Once we get the kit in, I'll measure exact diameter and wall thickness.

My thought process was to find a local machine shop and cut threads into the end of the titanium so that the end caps from this kit will fit on it. Depending upon how well the 10" suppresses sound, I might modify my kit so that it has 2 less baffles, essentially making it into an 8" +/- suppressor. Does this even sound remotely possible? I know that titanium is much more difficult to machine. I just figured that I could have a titanium tube suppressor with stainless baffles, all in for under $400 (including tax stamp) if I could do it right.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ...aluminum tube kits ... bought 2 kits at $100...I started looking around and found titanium tubing online for about $4 an inch. Once we get the kit in, I'll measure exact diameter and wall thickness.

My thought process was to find a local machine shop and cut threads into the end of the titanium so that the end caps from this kit will fit on it. Depending upon how well the 10" suppresses sound, I might modify my kit so that it has 2 less baffles, essentially making it into an 8" +/- suppressor. Does this even sound remotely possible? I know that titanium is much more difficult to machine. I just figured that I could have a titanium tube suppressor with stainless baffles, all in for under $400 (including tax stamp) if I could do it right.

To me is sounds possible except for the price. You are at $300 with the trap and tax, assuming free shipping. $32+Shipping for TI Tube. Fingerprints cost probably at least $20 assuming free pictures for the Form. So you are at $48 or less for Machining... na... if you do, let me know where that local machine shop is because I would be surprised.

Also, with AL end caps... it kind of defeats the point of the TI tube?

My Guess is you will far closer to $500. Also I am guessing the inside of the TI will not be the ID you need...

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Price could very well be an issue, I am not sure what it would cost to machine it. Seems like a small enough project, but again I'm not sure how difficult it would be to actually machine titanium. My first concern is figuring out if its even possible and a worthwhile venture. Even at $500 all in, its still reasonably priced for a titanium/stainless suppressor and tax stamp. Fingerprinting is free, I have access to print ink and equipment.

That beings me to your 2nd point about aluminum end caps. I'm admittedly not well educated in suppressors. My buddy was the one doing research and found what appears to be a pretty good deal, even if I keep it stock. What do you consider to be the downfall of aluminum ends? The internals are all stainless.

I like titanium to keep weight down, but if it ends up being more money than I am allowed to spend then it isn't something that will happen right now. What concerns should I have with aluminum tube and end caps? I'm not shooting automatic and am perfectly fine with slow shooting to keep temps down. I won't be putting more than a couple hundred rounds PER YEAR down the suppressor. I can shoot at my parents property, but am looking for a way to reduce the noise for my mom and the neighbors.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Price could very well be an issue, I am not sure what it would cost to machine it.

In my experience, triple your best guess... then maybe more. If you have to machine the inside of the tube, its going to be a lot more.

Seems like a small enough project, but again I'm not sure how difficult it would be to actually machine titanium. My first concern is figuring out if its even possible and a worthwhile venture. Even at $500 all in, its still reasonably priced for a titanium/stainless suppressor and tax stamp. Fingerprinting is free, I have access to print ink and equipment.

Worthwhile venture... if it was me, I would save a bit more and get something made to do what you want it to do. That said, I will spend the money on guns. This however its a lot of work. If you are sitting around bored and just need a cheap project, I get it... Otherwise I would say buy something cheap commercially made. Really the entire selling point behind these "traps" is that it gets you there without the legal hassle if you were so inclined.... when the "time comes". Its not really my thing... maybe others can talk more about these types of builds.

That beings me to your 2nd point about aluminum end caps. I'm admittedly not well educated in suppressors. My buddy was the one doing research and found what appears to be a pretty good deal, even if I keep it stock. What do you consider to be the downfall of aluminum ends? The internals are all stainless.

I really don't know how well AL threads will hold up on the muzzle of the gun. I guess I should have asked what caliber we are talking? 22LR vs 9mm vs 30-06... it makes a difference. I would be worried about it holding up for larger calibers. Frankly I think if the AL is good as the caps, there is little point in going to the expense to replace the tube. Its driving your price up with little benefit IMO. Might as well keep it super cheap. Plus you can't have "suppressor" parts laying around anyway.

but if it ends up being more money than I am allowed to spend

Sorry man, I had to laugh. Your parents have you on a strict budget? :)

I'm not shooting automatic YET

FIFY I can help with that when you are ready.

I can shoot at my parents property, but am looking for a way to reduce the noise for my mom and the neighbors.

Thats fair. If AL is good enough for the caliber, I might just keep it all AL as I doubt the TI tube will add that much benefit for the additional costs. My guess is the machine shop is going to rock your price estimate. Thats my 2 cents but others might know better. I have 5 suppressors. One cheaper home made type deal that I would almost give away and don't use. It came free with a MG and I had to take it. It was worth about the cost of the stamp and no more. Then 4 nice, fairly high quality ones. I think 22LR is worth it as is 9mm. I don't care for 45 and I think rifle cans are much less worth it even if I still buy them. I would not really suggest them.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Sorry man, I had to laugh. Your parents have you on a strict budget? :)
    Ha, I wish! I could hide it from my parents if need be. My bride has given me a budget of $0 for this. She's on board with guns, doesn't see the need for a suppressor. In reality, I don't need it and wasn't really planning on doing it until my buddy found this kit for dirt cheap.

This is for a 300blackout rifle. The kit, as bought, is designed for 300bo. I was just thinking about upgrading the aluminum parts for inexpensive if I could.

I have a neighbor that is a retired machinist and he has tools still. Not sure if he would be able to help or not. Also have a camping friend that owns a machine shop in Ohio. He and my father in law are pretty good friends. Not sure if he could help out for the price of a couple Priority Mail boxes or not.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What would the legality be of someone else doing some of thi machining? My understanding is solvent trap kits are frowned upon by the ATF as is and they sometimes go after manufacturers.

Would you still be considered the manufacturer if someone else was doing some of the machining work?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    These are baffles and not monocore? I asked at one point why the baffles holes had a slight oval look to the hole. People said from the drilling of the holes. I then recently discovered that each baffle should have what is called clipping tov allow gasses to permeate the whole device. I mainly see a “T” shaped clip on each baffle. Too much work for me so my purchase will be titanium and monocore. Monocore are more expensive though. Just need to drill end cap

You can youtube clipping a baffle

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    What would the legality be of someone else doing some of thi machining? My understanding is solvent trap kits are frowned upon by the ATF as is and they sometimes go after manufacturers.

Would you still be considered the manufacturer if someone else was doing some of the machining work?

Why would they be a manufacturer? A piece of titanium tube is a titanium tube. If you have them drill your baffles and the end cap then, well you constructed a suppressor.

A lot of over thinking these days. People have been turning, boring, and threading pipe forever and ATF isn’t at their door....

I’ve built and registered three of these now and nary a call or issue.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    These are baffles and not monocore? I asked at one point why the baffles holes had a slight oval look to the hole. People said from the drilling of the holes. I then recently discovered that each baffle should have what is called clipping tov allow gasses to permeate the whole device. I mainly see a “T” shaped clip on each baffle. Too much work for me so my purchase will be titanium and monocore. Monocore are more expensive though. Just need to drill end cap

You can youtube clipping a baffle
    It's to cause the sound to 'eddy' around inside the baffles instead of flowing straight through the can and out the end cap. The more sound you capture inside the can, the less sound comes out the end. Not a technical description but basically, that's the reason for it.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    i know

It's to cause the sound to 'eddy' around inside the baffles instead of flowing straight through the can and out the end cap. The more sound you capture inside the can, the less sound comes out the end. Not a technical description but basically, that's the reason for it.

I know. Some on quitbore have the baffles that do not have the drilled clips. The teacup shaped ones on their site already do. DA not a fan if titanium due to it rusting or something. He like the stainless steel- heavier but he said never rusts.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I know. Some on quitbore have the baffles that do not have the drilled clips. The teacup shaped ones on their site already do. DA not a fan if titanium due to it rusting or something. He like the stainless steel- heavier but he said never rusts.
    I'm a huge fan of titanium for cones and radials, as long as the first 2 baffles are SS, after the blast chamber spacer. Titanium will not survive prolonged exposure at the muzzle from the heat and still burning powder.

For a monocore, SS all the way.

We still have to link up so you can run my F1 rimfire can.

As a different approach, I'm submitting 2x F4 for the osprey 45.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    My buddy found a great deal on a 10" D cell suppressor kit. Matchgradecustoms.com is clearing out their aluminum tube kits with stainless steel solvent traps. We bought 2 kits at $100 each on closeout. I figured its a good way to learn, even if it isn't very good.

I'm holding off on building mine for right now, but my friend is getting his stamp and then we're going to build his kit. I started looking around and found titanium tubing online for about $4 an inch. Once we get the kit in, I'll measure exact diameter and wall thickness.

Do you have a 22LR with a threaded barrel?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Yes we do

I'm a huge fan of titanium for cones and radials, as long as the first 2 baffles are SS, after the blast chamber spacer. Titanium will not survive prolonged exposure at the muzzle from the heat and still burning powder.

For a monocore, SS all the way.

We still have to link up so you can run my F1 rimfire can.

As a different approach, I'm submitting 2x F4 for the osprey 45.

Hope you and fam are well my friend

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Yup

They are doing well. Hope you and yours are doing well too.

Man i could have talked schnit with you on stuff for hours more. Lol. Quietbore oos on practically everything. I was looking at the 45 to use for a blackout since the teacup baffles already clipped. We shall see. Thanks for all the insights you gave me. We will meet up soon. I want to go with outrider to damascus iwl but i think they still not allow guests together with member

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Man i could have talked schnit with you on stuff for hours more. Lol. Quietbore oos on practically everything. I was looking at the 45 to use for a blackout since the teacup baffles already clipped. We shall see. Thanks for all the insights you gave me. We will meet up soon. I want to go with outrider to damascus iwl but i think they still not allow guests together with member
    If you ask nicely, I might be able to get you a kit for 22LR....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom