• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    2. This is a de-facto ban on unemployed individuals purchasing firearms. Last I checked, unemployment isn't a prohibiting factor.
    I'm not aware of any cases where the unemployed were denied a purchase for being unemployed. Are there any? I doubt it, but wouldn't be surprised.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I'm not aware of any cases where the unemployed were denied a purchase for being unemployed. Are there any? I doubt it, but wouldn't be surprised.
    If they returned the guy's 77R because "self employed" wasn't good enough, I have no doubt that "unemployed" would be returned too.

Maybe we could find someone who's unemployed to find out?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Unemployed is an ok answer which makes the question seem even more ridiculous
    The point is, they are going after demographic information. Not banning you because your job is disfavored or something. They don't want to know self-employed. They want to know IT consultant. Or corner drug dealer. Or whatever.

Okay, one of those might get them to deny you. Yeah, I think it is kind of stupid too.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Post Bruen, it is a question that shouldn't even be able to be asked.

Unemployed and retired are perfectly good answers for now.

Bruen doesn’t have anything to do with it, it had no business being on the 77R application to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I think only one person mentioned there is no card anymore. Like no plastic card you wait for in the mail. The first ones had your picture from the MVA, then it was no picture, now I thought it was just an email with your number.

The dumb thing (among many) is that I believe if you have a physical card, you need to present it to your FFL (mine asks for it). But if you are one of the email only HQL people, you don't need to present anything.

Also, the online 77r is one of the few helpful (I guess) things the MSP has done. I usually have a couple done and just sitting there for future use. So when you go in to purchase, it's already done from your side. Bonus are FFLs that have electronic 4473s which is the Fed form you fill out on a laptop. I hate having to fill out a form by hand. My handwriting sucks and it's stressful for me lol.

Also OP, submit for your designated collector letter now. Then you don't have to worry about the 30 day thing and once you have it and fill out a 77r online once with that checked, it's there for the next one.

ETA: Don't do the designated collector request until you have made at least one 77r purchase. Seems like that has caused folks issues.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    ETA: Don't do the designated collector request until you have made at least one 77r purchase. Seems like that has caused folks issues.
    Yes, this is a prerequisite.

Are there any prerequisites to request for a Designated Collector status?
    Yes. An applicant requesting a Designated Collector status must have a minimum of one (1) regulated firearm currently registered with the Maryland State Police.”

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Yes, this is a prerequisite.

Are there any prerequisites to request for a Designated Collector status?
    Yes. An applicant requesting a Designated Collector status must have a minimum of one (1) regulated firearm currently registered with the Maryland State Police.”

Ah. OK cool. Thanks. I waited way too long to do it so I didn't really think or worry about any official prerequisites.

I would also suggest getting notarized at an FFL that does it. I went to my bank and while the guy was cool, he had never seen one before and had questions that I really didn't feel like answering. Not bad, he seemed genuinely interested but I didn't really want to answer too many questions about it with a stranger...

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I went to my bank and while the guy was cool, he had never seen one before and had questions that I really didn't feel like answering.
    I went to a bank. The only down side was them making sales pitches for loans and accounts while they were signing/stamping. They didn’t ask anything about the document.

ebrew4

Sep 28, 2022
    I see, thank you. 1 more Q. Did the 77r paperwork Tuesday (3) days ago, so I get my answer from MSP this coming Tuesday or Wednesday?

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Tuesday
    Your ffl will see it Friday or Monday cleared in their account with Tuesdays release date.

ebrew4

Sep 28, 2022
    Reason I ask is because I didn't think they counted weekends and or holidays as part of the 7 day chill out peroid.
    But thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom