• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    Just came in the mail after a few months of waiting. Haven't had a chance to shoot with it but initial impressions look good. Unfortunately won't be able to get it out for another week or so. Mine doesn't have any of the typical blooming of the reticle. Only complaint might be the size and weight,but even that is really just being picky. Compared to the micro red dots it's big but not much bigger than an Eotech or Aimpoint 4. Anyone else's have one?

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
      IMG_0637.jpg
      112.4 KB · Views: 957
    • IMG_0638.jpg
      IMG_0638.jpg
      232.2 KB · Views: 954
    • IMG_0635.jpg
      IMG_0635.jpg
      193.5 KB · Views: 892

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Just came in the mail after a few months of waiting. Haven't had a chance to shoot with it but initial impressions look good. Unfortunately won't be able to get it out for another week or so. Mine doesn't have any of the typical blooming of the reticle. Only complaint might be the size and weight,but even that is really just being picky. Compared to the micro red dots it's big but not much bigger than an Eotech or Aimpoint 4. Anyone else's have one?
    Don't have one but damn sure nice gun there son. Good looking gat.

High Q

Jan 16, 2009
    Use the Vortex a few times, and then please let me know if you like it. It's been on my want list a while.

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    That looks awesome. I can't wait for people's feedback on these. Looks like a contender for people moving away from Eotechs and such. Is the view port as big as an eotech?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'd love to try out that Vortex. Purged myself of EO Techs a few years ago and more recently of my Aimpoints, still looking for a replacement.
    I've heard you can get crazy good deals on the Vortex UH-1 from private Vortex dealer individuals. If I wanted to upgrade the optics on my current PCCs, they would be high on the list for the prices I've heard.

The other one I like is the Mepro RDS. and while it's really quite good, the warranty situation (1 year!) is just not acceptable for the current prices. I mean, FFS, I get a longer warranty than that with my cheaper Chinese-made Holosight and PA optics. The CAA Hartman MH1 has a similar problem (albeit with a two year warranty).

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I would throw the Holosun 510C in there as competition to judge against as well - though cheaper.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I've heard you can get crazy good deals on the Vortex UH-1 from private Vortex dealer individuals. If I wanted to upgrade the optics on my current PCCs, they would be high on the list for the prices I've heard.

The other one I like is the Mepro RDS. and while it's really quite good, the warranty situation (1 year!) is just not acceptable for the current prices. I mean, FFS, I get a longer warranty than that with my cheaper Chinese-made Holosight and PA optics. The CAA Hartman MH1 has a similar problem (albeit with a two year warranty).

I had a Mepro RDS, it flickered heavily under recoil. Meprolight wasn't very good about refunding me despite continued promises and eventually I had to do a chargeback to get my money back.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    OP - I'll meet you anywhere in the county with a sixer of your choice. I just want to get an eyeball through that thing and some mild fondling.;)

I am also interested in how much it weighs and how you like it once you shoot.

That said, I still want to try an EoTech, new models should be better and they did well in that independent test of parallax.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    OP - I'll meet you anywhere in the county with a sixer of your choice. I just want to get an eyeball through that thing and some mild fondling.;)

I am also interested in how much it weighs and how you like it once you shoot.

That said, I still want to try an EoTech, new models should be better and they did well in that independent test of parallax.

Sure no problem. Still out of town and haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet but hopefully I can make it to myrtle grove next weekend.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Since we didn't get a range report back from the OP, I'm going to weigh in on this since I just purchased one. I picked up the display model yesterday, spent less than $340 on it, tax included. I have an Eotech XPS2 for comparison. The Huey is noticeably heavier than the Eotech. The glass is tinted. The circle dot is clear, and the quick release mount is nice. It's absolute cowitness. It's worth what I paid, not the MSRP of $600+. I'm going to the range in a couple of hours, I'll give further feedback then.

sasd18

Oct 29, 2017
    If I’m not mistaken there’s a video of guys dropping it out of a helicopter from 50 feet (possibly more) and it still works.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If I’m not mistaken there’s a video of guys dropping it out of a helicopter from 50 feet (possibly more) and it still works.

I know Larry Vickers did that with an Aimpoint.

Anyway, I ran 128 rounds through my AR9 with the optic in an indoor range. Sight picture was good, no problems with the optic. Ran another 32 because I didn't tighten the screw in the quick release enough on initial install. No change in zero. It's going to be a couple of weeks before I can run a match with this setup.

4rcefedmkiv

Aug 6, 2010
    Arnold, MD
    I know Larry Vickers did that with an Aimpoint.

Anyway, I ran 128 rounds through my AR9 with the optic in an indoor range. Sight picture was good, no problems with the optic. Ran another 32 because I didn't tighten the screw in the quick release enough on initial install. No change in zero. It's going to be a couple of weeks before I can run a match with this setup.

What length barrel on your AR9?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I ran another 32 rounds today. Still working as expected. I'm not going to be using this setup again for a while, as I need to test another PCC and I'll be in Chicago next week.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I tried it out again yesterday. I didn't install it far enough forward initially and it was pushing on the shell deflector, so I moved it up a bit further. I sighted in again, it was off 2" left at 15 yards. I ran a simulated Steel Challenge stage, 60 rounds worth, and it is still working. I will be shooting a Steel Challenge match on Sunday, so I can give a better review after the match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom