• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Wife just read me that exact quote off the Ch 7 article...

My response??

The residents generally either can't afford it, or know they'd be denied for 'other' issues... so they don't apply!

My guess is that when G&S goes there will be more than a few new applications. Even with the $400+ application fee (correct me if i'm wrong on that number). Then a lawsuit against DC for the defacto poll tax.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    My guess is that when G&S goes there will be more than a few new applications. Even with the $400+ application fee (correct me if i'm wrong on that number). Then a lawsuit against DC for the defacto poll tax.

I believe that fee is for instructors. The carry permit fee is less than $100 very similar to MD.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Last I heard very few had been denied because over half of the applications weren't listed as approved or denied (still in process I assume). So yea, she won't deny you for not having "good cause" but she'll sit on your application. IIRC the law is really vague on permit processing times, so she wouldn't be violating the law by holding until DC gets its stay.

The status is "pending", and she holds each one for every bit of 90 days based on my info.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    "About 100 people have applied for permits, and very few have been denied, she said.

"The vast majority of people applying for permits to carry in the District are not D.C. residents," Lanier said on NewsChannel 8's "NewsTalk" program. "Our residents are very clear that this is not something they wanted."

In other words, if she sees a spike in applications from residents she'll go back to requiring G&S.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I agree. Just like MD. People don't apply because they don't want to go through all the time and money to just be denied.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    MPD Chief's interview on News8newstalk.com. Here's the permalink. Her discussion re the Wren case is up first & runs through about until about 5 minutes & 40 seconds into the clip.

http://www.wjla.com/blogs/news-talk/2015/05/monthly-q-a-with-dc-police-chief-cathy-lanier-25364.html

Interesting. Obviously, she doesn't like it, but she's not going to stand in the way of those that want permits. I hope this is resolved by SCOTUS in our favor and sooner rather than later.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am applying. Was going to anyway after the initial dust settled but this just kinds of speeds up the process.

I'm going to apply with the same back up and "G&S" as I did in Maryland just in case a stay is issued.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    I agree. Just like MD. People don't apply because they don't want to go through all the time and money to just be denied.

Similar tactic with the HQL. Many give up because of the hassle. Really, who came up with it, a background check that allows you to get another background check.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I notice the Chief couched hew statement with "we're not gonna deny RIGHT NOW."

She left open the option for DC to appeal.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    "the only thing that has been struck down was the provision that you have to demonstrate good reason, and the reasoning behind striking that down is it doesn't demonstrate that a person who DOESN'T have threats are any less likely to use the firearm illegally...uh... or commit crime."

Direct quote from Lanier... I am having trouble wrapping my head around this. Is she saying that a person(presumably, law-abiding, with a clean record) is going to apply for a permit only to turn around and commit crime with that permit? I'm sure that with Lanier spewing this kind of garbage, Bowser and Lanier get along swell...:sad20:

I also noticed that she chose her words wisely in certain instances to dodge more questions about appeal... but we all know that's comin'.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    "the only thing that has been struck down was the provision that you have to demonstrate good reason, and the reasoning behind striking that down is it doesn't demonstrate that a person who DOESN'T have threats are any less likely to use the firearm illegally...uh... or commit crime."

Direct quote from Lanier... I am having trouble wrapping my head around this. Is she saying that a person(presumably, law-abiding, with a clean record) is going to apply for a permit only to turn around and commit crime with that permit? I'm sure that with Lanier spewing this kind of garbage, Bowser and Lanier get along swell...:sad20:

I also noticed that she chose her words wisely in certain instances to dodge more questions about appeal... but we all know that's comin'.

She's upset that she is giving up control over the serfs. She is no longer queen, who gets to decide who is worthy.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Either that or she was trying to quote Scullin and got it wrong.

While, as stated, Defendants argue that the District of Columbia's "good reason"/"proper
    reason" requirement relates reasonably to its interest in preventing crime and protecting public
    safety, they have not established that relationship.
    The fact that an individual may be able to demonstrate a greater need for self-protection, and
    therefore meets the "good reason"/"proper reason" requirement, does not indicate, in any way,
    whether that person is less likely to misuse handguns or may be less dangerous. See Drake, 724
    F.3d at 454 (Hardiman, C.J., dissenting). Nor does the District of Columbia's "good 12
    reason"/"proper reason" requirement make it less likely that those who meet this requirement will
    accidently shoot themselves or others or engage in criminal activity than those who cannot meet this
    requirement. See id. The fact that a person may have a greater need for self-protection says nothing
    about how limiting the carrying of handguns to such individuals would result in a reduction of risk
    to other members of the public or reduce violent crime. Is the Court to conclude that people who do
    not have a heightened need for self-protection are more likely to commit violent crimes?
    Furthermore, even if the Court were to accept the proposition that handguns are used
    disproportionately in the commission of violent crimes, how is that use related to whether or not a
    person has a greater need for self-protection? Moreover, isn't it possible that even persons who
    cannot manifest a present need for self-protection are just as likely to be victims of a violent crime.
    Simply put, the District of Columbia's "good reason"/"proper reason" requirement will neither make
    See Drake, 724 F.3d at 454 (Hardiman, C.J., dissenting) (stating that "it seems odd to 12
    suggest that one who obtains a handgun carry permit because he is in imminent danger is less
    likely to mishandle a gun than one who obtains a carry permit because he might want to exercise
    that right in the future even though he perceives no present danger").
    -16-it less likely that those who meet this requirement will present a risk to other members of the public
    or commit violent crimes than those who cannot meet this requirement. Therefore, after reviewing
    the record in this case, the Court finds that Defendants have failed to demonstrate that there is any
    relationship, let alone a tight fit, between reducing the risk to other members of the public and/or
    violent crime and the District of Columbia's "good reason"/"proper reason" requirement.
    This conclusion should not be read to suggest that it would be inappropriate for the District
    of Columbia to enact a licensing mechanism that includes appropriate time, place and manner
    restrictions on the carrying of handguns in public. The District of Columbia's arbitrary "good 13
    reason"/"proper reason" requirement, however, goes far beyond establishing such reasonable
    restrictions. Rather, for all intents and purposes, this requirement makes it impossible for the
    overwhelming majority of law-abiding citizens to obtain licenses to carry handguns in public for
    self-defense, thereby depriving them of their Second Amendment right to bear arms.
    Accordingly, at this point in the litigation and based on the current record, the Court
    concludes that Plaintiffs have shown that they are likely to succeed on the merits of their claim that
    See Heller, 554 U.S. at 626-27 (noting that its opinion should not be construed to cast 13
    doubt on the validity of various "longstanding" time, place and manner restrictions on the
    possession, carrying, and sale of handguns); Friedman v. City of Highland Park, No. 14-3091,
    2015 WL 1883498 (7th Cir. Apr. 27, 2015) (holding that a city ordinance that generally
    prohibited the possession, sale or manufacture of semi-automatic assault weapons and large
    capacity magazines did not violate the Second Amendment); Heller v. Dist. of Columbia, 45 F.
    Supp. 3d 35 (D.D.C. 2014) (holding that the challenged regulations pertaining to the registration
    of handguns did not violate the Second Amendment); Parker v. Dist. of Columbia, 478 F.3d 370,
    399 (D.C. Cir. 2007) (stating that "[t]he protections of the Second Amendment are subject to the
    same sort of reasonable [time, place and manner] restrictions that have been recognized as
    limiting, for instance, the First Amendment" (citation omitted)). Cf. Ezell v. City of Chicago,
    651 F.3d 684, 714 (7th Cir. 2011) (stating that "historical context tells us that cities may takepublic safety into account in setting reasonable time, place and manner restrictions on thedischarge of firearms within City limits").
    -17-
    Case 1:15-cv-00162-FJS Document 13 Filed 05/18/15 Page 17 of 23

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Similar tactic with the HQL. Many give up because of the hassle. Really, who came up with it, a background check that allows you to get another background check.

That was nuisance and money tactic. I had no doubt we'd be approved provided the hoops are properly traversed. The carry issue, odds are heavily against the common man..

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    While we may want to see this go all the way to SCOTUS, and win there, I am not sure that DC will appeal. If DC gets smacked hard by Scullin, the Anti's may decide that a win in SCOTUS will be unlikely and, instead of taking the chance of that this ruling be applied nationally, they might choose to live with it, lick their wounds, and limit the damage to DC.

Anyone want to guess what the odds are that there will be no appeal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom