• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    I thought DC changed the law so that as long as you have a registered firearm, any ammo possession is ok. I may be wrong.

This is true. As long as you have one DC registered firearm, all ammo is OK. Caliber/gauge don't have to match.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I thought DC changed the law so that as long as you have a registered firearm, any ammo possession is ok.

From MPDC firearms page (not the statute)

Nope. See attached: Rule of life: Never trust the police to interpret statutes for you.

(a) No person shall possess ammunition in the District of Columbia unless:
    (3) He is the holder of the valid registration certificate for a firearm of the same gauge or caliber as the ammunition he possesses; except, that no such person shall possess one or more restricted pistol bullets;

edit: Note that "ammunition" is a defined term under DC Code 7-2501, to mean:
    (2) "Ammunition" means cartridge cases, shells, projectiles (including shot), primers, bullets (including restricted pistol bullets), propellant powder, or other devices or materials designed, redesigned, or intended for use in a firearm or destructive device.

Attachments

• DC_CODE_s_7-2506ammunition.pdf
      11.7 KB · Views: 152

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Boy, I sure seem to recall the council relaxing some of the firearm requirements and removing the same caliber registration requirement was one of them.

hmmm.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    That is certainly true! It is the principal reason I have permits from 7 states. Of course, you can only register ammo for the gun you have also registered so those shell casings better be for that registered gun and registered ammo or you are still effed. I could have empty casings for 10 different calibers rattling around somewhere in the trunk after falling out of the range bag. Like you, I always search for them before driving into DC.

I thought DC changed the law so that as long as you have a registered firearm, any ammo possession is ok.

From MPDC firearms page (not the statute)

Nope. See attached: Rule of life: Never trust the police to interpret statutes for you.

(3) He is the holder of the valid registration certificate for a firearm of the same gauge or caliber as the ammunition he possesses; except, that no such person shall possess one or more restricted pistol bullets;

edit: Note that "ammunition" is a defined term under DC Code 7-2501, to mean:
    (2) "Ammunition" means cartridge cases, shells, projectiles (including shot), primers, bullets (including restricted pistol bullets), propellant powder, or other devices or materials designed, redesigned, or intended for use in a firearm or destructive device.

Boy, I sure seem to recall the council relaxing some of the firearm requirements and removing the same caliber registration requirement was one of them.

hmmm.

Correct, the Council changed the laws about two years ago, and the provision that you could only have ammo of the same caliber as a registered firearm was dropped. Now you only have to have one registered firearm (i.e. passed the NICS check) to possess ammo in the District.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Current statute

§ 7–2506.01. Persons permitted to possess ammunition.

(1) He is a licensed dealer pursuant to subchapter IV of this unit;

(2) He is an officer, agent, or employee of the District of Columbia or the United States of America, on duty and acting within the scope of his duties when possessing such ammunition;

(3) He is the holder of a valid registration certificate for a firearm pursuant to subchapter II of this chapter; except, that no such person shall possess one or more restricted pistol bullets;

(4) He holds an ammunition collector's certificate on September 24, 1976; or

(5) He temporarily possesses ammunition while participating in a firearms training and safety class conducted by a firearms instructor.

(b) No person in the District shall possess, sell, or transfer any large capacity ammunition feeding device regardless of whether the device is attached to a firearm. For the purposes of this subsection, the term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and cap

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Correct, the Council changed the laws about two years ago, and the provision that you could only have ammo of the same caliber as a registered firearm was dropped. Now you only have to have one registered firearm (i.e. passed the NICS check) to possess ammo in the District.

That is not how I read D.C. Code 7-2506.01, quoted above. I read that to mean that you cannot possess ammunition unless: "He is the holder of the valid registration certificate for a firearm of the same gauge or caliber as the ammunition he possesses" Section 7-2506 is current law.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well, the newer statute jives with my memory of the council act in 2012 which relaxed the ammo statute.

ETA-and it comports to the language and wording on the MPDC web site.

balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    Oh, I can teach outside of DC, but I can't bring a registered pistol, revolver or ammunition into DC to teach the 16 hour CCW DC requires at your house/business/meeting room - without a DC Permit.

In fact, now that I think about, you might not even be able to hold it.

I may hold a DC CCL Initial 16 hour course on June 13/14 in Frederick, MD for about $300.
    This is a class i will have to make.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    That is certainly true! It is the principal reason I have permits from 7 states. Of course, you can only register ammo for the gun you have also registered so those shell casings better be for that registered gun and registered ammo or you are still effed. I could have empty casings for 10 different calibers rattling around somewhere in the trunk after falling out of the range bag. Like you, I always search for them before driving into DC.

We have a car that is quarantined from any firearm-related items, including any bags that have contained firearm related items. When we go to DC, that is what we drive.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Well, the newer statute jives with my memory of the council act in 2012 which relaxed the ammo statute.

ETA-and it comports to the language and wording on the MPDC web site.

As long as you have a registered firearm in DC you can possess ammunition. The ammunition doesn't have to be the same caliber that's listed on the certificate and card of the registered firearm(s).

One of my registered guns is a Glock 27 that's listed on the card and certificate as .40 S&W. I converted it to 357 Sig a year ago. I made sure it was ok to do so under the regulations without having to update the paperwork.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    FYI you can beat the rush, apply for the DC CCL, receive preliminary approval,and you have 45 days to successfully complete the required training under current rules.

See http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/applying-concealed-carry-pistol-license for details.

Alternatively, you can wait for an opinion on constitutional carry, DC to get another stay, or wait to see what else DC tries to through in the way.

It looks like you don't have to pay any money for the preliminary approval application, is that right?

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Yep, she got her permit and then shut up about it, pretty much throwing everyone else under the bus by helping DC to claim that they approved 20% of the 76 people (at the time) that applied. She neglected to report that many thousands more would have applied if the requirements weren't so draconian that only a narrow group of people could apply and get approved.

I work in DC every day and would apply in a heartbeat if I thought I had any chance of being approved. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom