• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    I have several fired hulls from Hornady sabots. Can these be reloaded, or are they just trash?

Thanks for the info. I've done a lot of metallic cartridge reloading, but know nothing about reloading shotshells.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have several fired hulls from Hornady sabots. Can these be reloaded, or are they just trash?

Thanks for the info. I've done a lot of metallic cartridge reloading, but know nothing about reloading shotshells.

Yes they can. The hull has nothing to do with it being a "sabot" round. The only thing that makes it a sabot is the Sabot holding the bullet. The only issue you may encounter is the fact that most of the sabot rounds are roll crimped and if you decided to fold crimp them then you might have to cut off about 1/8" of the factory roll.

I know this from experience when reloading my Remington BuckHammer and Winchester RackMaster, both 12 and 20 ga, hulls and then wanting to reload the hulls with a fold crimp. I cut off about 1/8" and they are perfect. With the Hornady's you will have to do the same thing. I am familiar with those shells, but, my gun will not shoot well with them.

The Remington BuckHammers and the Winchester RackMasters require cutting since both are roll crimped. I don't use the sabot slugs anymore. They are way too expensive and there's much cheaper alternatives out there anyway that shoot just as well if not better.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I have a few laying around myself. I looked but couldn't find it,do you guys Know if they make a die to seat and resize slugs in high brass for say a rock chucker?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have a few laying around myself. I looked but couldn't find it,do you guys Know if they make a die to seat and resize slugs in high brass for say a rock chucker?

I don't think I even understand your question. Reloading slugs can be done by hand. The only real reason I own a press specific for 12 and 20 gauge reloading is it makes depriming / priming easier and crimping. Powder, Wad, and shot / slug is all done by hand.

What do you mean by "resize slugs" ?

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    Yes they can. The hull has nothing to do with it being a "sabot" round. The only thing that makes it a sabot is the Sabot holding the bullet. The only issue you may encounter is the fact that most of the sabot rounds are roll crimped and if you decided to fold crimp them then you might have to cut off about 1/8" of the factory roll.

I know this from experience when reloading my Remington BuckHammer and Winchester RackMaster, both 12 and 20 ga, hulls and then wanting to reload the hulls with a fold crimp. I cut off about 1/8" and they are perfect. With the Hornady's you will have to do the same thing. I am familiar with those shells, but, my gun will not shoot well with them.

The Remington BuckHammers and the Winchester RackMasters require cutting since both are roll crimped. I don't use the sabot slugs anymore. They are way too expensive and there's much cheaper alternatives out there anyway that shoot just as well if not better.

Not to hijack the thread but I'm curious as to what those alternatives might be. Can you elaborate, please.

A quick google search has not been very helpful.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Not to hijack the thread but I'm curious as to what those alternatives might be. Can you elaborate, please.

A quick google search has not been very helpful.

Alternatives are Remington BuckHammers and Winchester RackMasters

They are both designed specifically for rifled barrels, but, they are less than half the price of sabot bullets.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I don't think I even understand your question. Reloading slugs can be done by hand. The only real reason I own a press specific for 12 and 20 gauge reloading is it makes depriming / priming easier and crimping. Powder, Wad, and shot / slug is all done by hand.

What do you mean by "resize slugs" ?
    my bad,meant to say resize hulls. basically i want to be able to decap and resize a slug hull in my rock chucker. smell me?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    my bad,meant to say resize hulls. basically i want to be able to decap and resize a slug hull in my rock chucker. smell me?

My apologies I still don't follow you directly. A slug hull and shotshell hull are the same thing. Are you asking about resizing the brass base ? I'm not familiar with the rock chucker requirements. I use the Lee Load All II's which come with the resizing ring. If you reload the same hulls you shot from that gun, then resizing is really not required. My Rossi slug gun, for example, I reload my slugs in the same Remington BuckHammer hulls, no resizing required, but, I do cut 1/4" off the hull mouth to crimp instead of the factory roll.

Now going from shotshells in my Remington 870 20 gauge hulls to my Rossi 20 gauge slug gun they have to be resized. The Rossi has a very tight chamber.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Do they make dies to reload shotgun shells using a single stage press?

Not that I have ever seen.

I bought the presses mostly because, for the price and all of the features, you just can not beat it. I bought the press for reloading 20 gauge and it was a 12 gauge press. I bought the 20 gauge conversion kit for it and then ended up just buying another press and making the 12 gauge and 20 gauge presses independent. I use every feature on the press except for power and shot charges. I do those processes by hand dipping.

You can get a press for about $60.00 on ebay shipped. I got both of my presses off of ebay. You can also order it from Titan Reloading. Most of my accessories and all of my molds come from Titan. They accept Pay Pal which a lot of gun related business are scared of for some reason. I spend a lot of money through Pay Pal on reloading, so, if a retailer doesn't accept it, then my hundreds of dollars go elsewhere.

LoadAll2.jpg

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Not that I have ever seen.

I bought the presses mostly because, for the price and all of the features, you just can not beat it. I bought the press for reloading 20 gauge and it was a 12 gauge press. I bought the 20 gauge conversion kit for it and then ended up just buying another press and making the 12 gauge and 20 gauge presses independent. I use every feature on the press except for power and shot charges. I do those processes by hand dipping.

You can get a press for about $60.00 on ebay shipped. I got both of my presses off of ebay. You can also order it from Titan Reloading. Most of my accessories and all of my molds come from Titan. They accept Pay Pal which a lot of gun related business are scared of for some reason. I spend a lot of money through Pay Pal on reloading, so, if a retailer doesn't accept it, then my hundreds of dollars go elsewhere.

LoadAll2.jpg

PayPal is antigun, that's why most firearms related places won't accept it.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    PayPal is antigun, that's why most firearms related places won't accept it.

Yeah that's what I hear, but, if retailers wish to lose business, that is their issue. Pay Pal does not refuse transactions because it is "Gun Related".

The fact that no one understands is that Ebay owns Pay Pal and if it is against ebay policy then the transaction is cancelled. There are a million different ways to buy gun related items through pay pal. Being anti-gun is an excuse, nothing more, for retailers to not accept it. I think buying gun related items through them is fun, it's sort of like a "Ha Ha on you" when they don't know what you bought.

Pay Pal is my slush fund for the most part and anyone who accepts Pay Pal gets more money from me. I have paid for Muzzleloaders and shotguns through Pay Pal. It's not what you buy, it's how you buy it. I also stay away from any Private Seller who tries to collect additional % on the total price, that's a scam. There is no additional % required on final prices, so, when someone says, "Add 4% for Pay Pal fees", walk away from those guys ( and walk fast ).

I assume that if a retailer doesn't want to accept a payment from me for 2000 shotshells wads... he doesn't need my money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom