Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 1st, 2010, 10:13 PM #11

serration's not necessary, but the blade length is critical.

light weight and sturdy are a plus.

Great suggestions already thanks!

The knife I'm trying to improve upon is the SOG Blink (2.25" blade length, AUS8, assisted opener), can go right up to but not beyond 2.5":

Minuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:15 PM #12

Lots of sites have great reviews of knives.
Just wondering if anyone has found a pocket knife with a blade of 2.5" or less that is better than the SOG Blink.
A few contenders mentioned here, good stuff, any others?

Last edited by Minuteman; September 2nd, 2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:46 PM #13

I've never touched this SOG Bluto, it looks very practical. Interesting locking mechanism, I wonder what is the strongest type of locking mechanism?

Last edited by Minuteman; September 4th, 2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:20 PM #14

I have been using a Kershaw 1620ST for years. I use it everyday at least a couple of times for anything you can imagine. It has never let be down and can really hold an edge.
sparkymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 04:59 AM #15

Very nice, Kershaw 1620ST:

I have the non-serrated blade version of that knife. I read the blade is 2 1/4". I like the way it opens better than the SOG Blink. The Blink is sometimes tough to get my fingers on the thumb stud. I like that the Blink is really flat and thin. If I ever get another Kershaw Scallion, I think I'll get the all stainless steel version, it looks thinner, and maybe a tad stronger?

It fits nicely, size wise between the Kershaw Chive (2") and Leek (3").
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:38 AM #16

Found:

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/20L...LAIN_EDGE.aspx
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:45 AM #17
master of puppets

master of puppets

boker urban defense
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:23 AM #18
For great Justice

For great Justice

Limited to that small of a blade, I would opt for one of the newer compact multi-tools, a Skeletool CX has a good 2.5" blade with pliers, a bottle opener/carabiner, and interchangeable bit driver with 2 double sided bits, and a pocket clip, the Juice, style and squirt models are also small enough. You get a larger handle for more control of the blade, and a lot more functionality for about the same weight as a larger folder. Even a Swiss army knife may add some features like scissors or a bottle opener that can be useful to you, and there are a ton of models under 2.5"

If you want a blade only, then it depends quite a bit on what you want it for, light EDC tasks like opening mail and cutting tape would lend itself to a simple thin drop point knife. Trimming nails, grooming, or delicate trimming work need a fine tip, a clip point or perhaps a narrow reverse tanto. Cutting thicker material like fiber straps and cardboard would require a broader leaf point or fat wharncliffe probably serrated. Blade design and quality are everything, a thick steep grind won't last and has to push a lot of material aside to cut, a delicate and thin full flat grind in cheap steel will slide well, but chip or break with hard use. With small knives, traction is key, you don't have a lot to hold onto, so smooth scales like Kershaw's steel scales can slip, textured G10 or FRN(fiberglass reinforced nylon) would be ideal, Spyderco has some of the best handle designs, you also need a nice sure grip, more jimping(textured finger rest areas) and a deeper choil(cutout underneath for inxed finger) will give a better grip, on a larger knife these are still important, espacially for a "tactical" knife, but you have a lot more handle to hold.

The lock is mostly a matter of prefference, there are some differences in strength and operation, but most that are well made will hold up to anything a small knife will encounter, a quality knife locks up smooth and solid with no play. Clip position and carry mode may matter to you, many prefer tip up, some tip down, others use a belt sheath, neck sheath, keychain, or even loose in a pocket, you may also like to use a paracord lanyard(requiring a lanyard hole), they can help control small knives, give your pinkie something to hold onto, and makes it easier to draw. Steel also makes a difference, although less than design, quality, and geometry, a softer 420, 8cr13MoV or AUS8A is easy to sharpen, tough, and inexpensive, mid-grade VG-10, 154CM, or S30V add toughness, abrasion reisitance, and edge retension in varyng capacities, ZDP-189, M4, or M390 offer the pinnacle of quality, best edge retension, and a tough steel at high hardness, might take a long time to sharpen, but they hold an edge for a long time.

There aren't many decent knife shops with a big selection around, places like Dick's and Bass pro may have a few, but are expensive compared to Amazon or BladeHQ. With less expensive EDCs you can take a chance, find one that looks appealing, has the features you like, and then order one to try out, but for a better knife it is best to hold it in your hand before purchasing.

some decent suggestions posted already, the CS tufflite, Spydt cat, KAI scallion w/polymer handles. I would add the Spidy Ambitious, Spidy Dragonfly, Spidy Gale Bradley, SOG flash 1, and CS mini Lawman, decent range of 2.5" and smaller, the Ambitious is probably the most knife for the money. There may be others that could work, or some 2.5" that won't depending on how they measure 2.5", most measure them diffently, some to the handle, some measure edge length, some pick a spot in between.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins

Last edited by alucard0822; February 18th, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:43 AM #19

I love my Kershaw 1620. I've had the non-serrated version for almost 10 years now. Good size, durable, easy and fast opening and holds an edge well.
TonyB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:14 AM #20

Spyderco!!!
Vikingpwr67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons