• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I picked up an MAK-90 12 or 14 years ago. With the old assault weapons ban having expired, is there any reason I can't get rid of the thumb hole stock and install a better looking grip and stock?

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Well, that's a big debate since 922r only applies to NFA firearms if you follow the convoluted references in the statutes.

So, I say if you did not have to go through the NFA process to purchase or manufacture it then 922r does not apply.

Please do not take my word for it - look it up yourself.

Others will be along to refute me shortly.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    yes, as long as you play the 922r "BATFE browney points" game.. 16 parts of which 10 or less are foreign, US FCG = 3, US piston = 1, US Buttstock = 1, US pistol grip = 1, US foregrip = 1, US muzzle device = 1, US magazine floor plate = 1, US magazine follower = 1... those are the most available US parts.

Piece of cake, but follow 922r. swap out the entire trigger group (Tapco G2), handguard, handgrip, and the stock. That's more than enough parts (6 swapped, only needed 5), and you can swap others if you'd prefer (gas pistol, magazine parts). As for the stock, not every Norinco has a slant-cut receiver. Mine did not, so a regular stock fit just fine. It was two screws; one on the top of the tang, one on the handgrip.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    yes, as long as you play the 922r "BATFE browney points" game.. 16 parts of which 10 or less are foreign, US FCG = 3, US piston = 1, US Buttstock = 1, US pistol grip = 1, US foregrip = 1, US muzzle device = 1, US magazine floor plate = 1, US magazine follower = 1... those are the most available US parts.

Piece of cake, but follow 922r. swap out the entire trigger group (Tapco G2), handguard, handgrip, and the stock. That's more than enough parts (6 swapped, only needed 5), and you can swap others if you'd prefer (gas pistol, magazine parts). As for the stock, not every Norinco has a slant-cut receiver. Mine did not, so a regular stock fit just fine. It was two screws; one on the top of the tang, one on the handgrip.

:goodpost:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Also, check out your MAK90. Some imports from awhile ago were classified as machineguns by the BATFE. See if you have a rivet right above the mag catch. This used to be where the autosear was fitted.

If you have this... Its bad juju

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    So approximately how much did it cost to "play the 922r "BATFE browney points" game" and make your MAK-90 look like a standard Ak-47?

Good thing is AK's don't have a lot of parts so you only need 5 parts for an AK without a muzzle device to meet 922r. If you have a threaded barrel then a muzzle brake or flash hider rolls the number to 6.

You can start easy w/ 3 US made parts that will take 10 minutes to swap on. A US made handguard, pistol grip, and buttstock.

You would then need 2 or 3 more US made parts. Some of the cheaper ways to go are US made mag followers and floor plates (922r considers an inserted magazine to be part of the firearm). If you have a muzzle brake you can swap it out for a cheap US one. The only drawback is you would need to always use the mags with US parts to be in compliance.

This would all cost you under $75 if you shopped around on the web for prices. Some other things you could do would be to swap out the trigger group (3 parts), though usually Chinese rifles have nice triggers so I would hate to do that if it were me. You can also swap out the gas piston for a US one though that is a bit of a PITA.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Also, check out your MAK90. Some imports from awhile ago were classified as machineguns by the BATFE. See if you have a rivet right above the mag catch. This used to be where the autosear was fitted.

Ok, there is a rivet (3/4" to the centerline of the rivet) above the mag catch. The gun is a Norinco with a very low serial number.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    You should be OK. The auto sear hole is about 1/4" up from the bottom of the receiver. I am recalling this from memory so if I am wrong someone please correct me.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    third pin

Ok, there is a rivet (3/4" to the centerline of the rivet) above the mag catch. The gun is a Norinco with a very low serial number.

heres a picture for ref.

If your mak has the third hole= Felony / needs to be torch cut

Attachments

• TrirdPin.jpg
      TrirdPin.jpg
      77.2 KB · Views: 136

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Sometimes under that ugly thumbhole stock, the back of receiver has been cut at an angle, its referred to as a slant cut. If thats the case, your butt stock options are limited and more costly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom