• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It can be addicting.

First year the wife and I tried sporting clays, we ended up shooting about 15,000 rounds. :D

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA

I used to shoot Sporting Clays quite a lot, even have Life Membership in the NSCA, but I can't afford it anymore......just got a flyer on two 100 bird shoots, $125 and $135 respectively.........I haven't shot anything registered in a long time, but damn I don't think I ever got close to $100 and that was for a two-day 200 bird shoot. I could afford/justify it when most of the local fundraisers (50 bird) were $40-$50 and Registered tourneys (100 bird) were $60-$75, but not now.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I used to shoot Sporting Clays quite a lot, even have Life Membership in the NSCA, but I can't afford it anymore......just got a flyer on two 100 bird shoots, $125 and $135 respectively.........I haven't shot anything registered in a long time, but damn I don't think I ever got close to $100 and that was for a two-day 200 bird shoot. I could afford/justify it when most of the local fundraisers (50 bird) were $40-$50 and Registered tourneys (100 bird) were $60-$75, but not now.

I quit shooting registered anything. Just got too expensive. I shoot Trap, Skeet, 5-stand and Sporting Clays for fun. And still shoot between 9,000 and 10,000 rounds a year (at least my Cabelas bills say I do). Also reduced to just 3 guns, and don't shoot 28g or .410 anymore.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I quit shooting registered anything. Just got too expensive. I shoot Trap, Skeet, 5-stand and Sporting Clays for fun. And still shoot between 9,000 and 10,000 rounds a year (at least my Cabelas bills say I do). Also reduced to just 3 guns, and don't shoot 28g or .410 anymore.

I’m with you guys. I used to shoot 5000 registered Skeet targets a year plus a lot of practice. I only shoot a couple shoots a year now (800 targets). I shoot less and less practice as I get older. And I’m not that old! Unfortunately I see the numbers of competitors declining each year in Skeet. Sporting is increasing. Especially the big shoots. Trap is declining too, but not as bad as Skeet.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I’ve been shooting Skeet for 37 years. I can’t tell you how many people buy a “budget” O/U and regret it later. Even Ruger told a customer that their Red Label wasn’t made for clay target shooting. If you can’t afford a lightly used Beretta or Browning than stick with an auto until you can. I shoot a Beretta and recommend them over the Brownings just because there are all kinds of extra barrels and stocks out there. Not so much with the Brownings. Also, a Beretta can be rebuilt/tightened up more than a Browning. But you would have to have a lot of money/time to shoot either one out.

whats a good to fair price on a Beretta

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    whats a good to fair price on a Beretta

Even within the 680 series of guns there’s such a big window depending on used, new, condition, barrel length, screw chokes or fixed, etc. I’ve seen old fixed choke 686’s go for $1000 to 687 EELL’s at $8000.00.

I really like Etchens. They know their stuff. And can help with fitting. You could call Etchen and see if they could price match the one in the Basspro link. It’s currently on sale.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Beretta-686-Silver-Pigeon-I-Sporting-OverUnder-Shotgun

https://www.joeletchenguns.com

Full disclosure, I have no affiliation with Etchens. They’re the biggest Beretta dealer in the country for a reason. They know how to treat the customer. They understand it’s a big purchase for the customer. Whether the gun is a $1000 or $30,000.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    Even within the 680 series of guns there’s such a big window depending on used, new, condition, barrel length, screw chokes or fixed, etc. I’ve seen old fixed choke 686’s go for $1000 to 687 EELL’s at $8000.00.

I really like Etchens. They know their stuff. And can help with fitting. You could call Etchen and see if they could price match the one in the Basspro link. It’s currently on sale.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Beretta-686-Silver-Pigeon-I-Sporting-OverUnder-Shotgun

https://www.joeletchenguns.com

Full disclosure, I have no affiliation with Etchens. They’re the biggest Beretta dealer in the country for a reason. They know how to treat the customer. They understand it’s a big purchase for the customer. Whether the gun is a $1000 or $30,000.

The last paragraph says it all. Buying a gun from BassProShops is very similar to buying one from Walmart.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Slight hi-jack, but I'm in a similar boat as the original poster.

1. Is the consensus still to get barrels on an O/U as long as you can? I'm trying to decide on a 30" or 32" Silver Pigeon 1 for a dual use clays/field gun.

I'm not really worried about barrel length for field shooting as we seldom use blinds which are obstructive.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Slight hi-jack, but I'm in a similar boat as the original poster.

1. Is the consensus still to get barrels on an O/U as long as you can? I'm trying to decide on a 30" or 32" Silver Pigeon 1 for a dual use clays/field gun.

I'm not really worried about barrel length for field shooting as we seldom use blinds which are obstructive.

As a sporting gun with occasional field use, 70/30%,go longer 30" minimum. 32" is for sporting use 90/10%. A field gun has to been lighter, as much as possible. It will have more felt recoil.

Are you using this for waterfowl? If so dont. Buy a cheap semi-auto.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    As a sporting gun with occasional field use, 70/30%,go longer 30" minimum. 32" is for sporting use 90/10%. A field gun has to been lighter, as much as possible. It will have more felt recoil.

Are you using this for waterfowl? If so dont. Buy a cheap semi-auto.

Yep. I used a 30" 686 Onyx for two seasons for waterfowling and ended up buying a Benelli SBE before the end of that second season. The vast majority of my shotgun shooting nowadays is done with a semi-auto. I understand the 2 choke thing, but after reading study after study about chokes I think a single IC or Mod will get the vast majority of things done on the clays course and in the woods, field, and marsh.

If I really could only afford a single gun, I think I would scrape my pennies together for a Benelli or Beretta semi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom