...and we tought prices were good 5 years ago...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I remember my dad's firearms magazines and the adds in the back. Pre-JFK, no FFL required.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx11212016-.jpg

bob finger

Jul 24, 2016
    I remember buying a Mk4 #1 Enfield from that ad, or one just like it. I wanted the jungle carbine but $25 was more than I had to spend. I got lucky as it was Canadian (Long Branch) made and likely never issued to a troop. Similar ads sold 7x57 mauser barreled actions for I think $10 each.

My first ever new rifle purchase was a Marlin 80c .22 I ordered from the JC Penny catalog. Rode my bike to town to pick it up at the store and carry it home. I was maybe 13 at the time. Wish I still had it. Had some of the prettiest walnut I've ever seen on a factory .22 rf.

My wife owns a .30 M1 Carbine stamped RockOla on all major parts. Her dad paid $15 for it through the NRA in the early/mid 50's. Thanks for the memory. bob

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Don't forget inflation, though:

That $24.95 Enfield Jungle Carbine (assuming this is 1960 dollars) would be $203.75 today.

Still a great deal at maybe less than half of what they cost today, but it's not like it would have been $25 of today's dollars. :)

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Ouch! That ad brings back a painful memory. I bought mail order, an "unissued" Enfield Mark III from Ye Old Hunter from an ad like that. The stock seemed a little short for me, so I SENT IT BACK! I'd forgotten about that. God, I was stupid when I was younger. But I either got a lot better or I've forgotten a lot of other things, too.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Ouch! That ad brings back a painful memory. I bought mail order, an "unissued" Enfield Mark III from Ye Old Hunter from an ad like that. The stock seemed a little short for me, so I SENT IT BACK! I'd forgotten about that. God, I was stupid when I was younger. But I either got a lot better or I've forgotten a lot of other things, too.

Especially since (as you probably know) Enfield stocks came in three different lengths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom