• Not on your life.

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    2013, MDS, Clandestine, a lucky karma win on a seat at a SOTAR 101 class and the allure of an 80% build all conspired to make me go black. I had very little interest in any EBRs before any of that.

Once you go black...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Never wanted one - still don't, really - but when the possibility of being forbidden to own one became a reality, I felt I had no choice but to indulge.

I owe it all to the Maryland General Assembly. I have a sufficient supply to endow my children and grandchildren, should they decide to remain in Maryland instead of America.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Best home defense rifle I know of. Easy to use, inexpensive, readily available parts, very modular and upgradable. Also highly effective.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    Bought my first over 20 years ago to pop woodchucks. The awesome platform is an extension of my first erector set back in 1968 :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Please explain your rationale for/against owning the AR-15.

This is NOT a "Bitch Thread"... please share your thoughts as a community member, or not at all.

Thanks.
    Have you shot one? Would you like to go to the range to try a few variants?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    AR's never did anything special to me. I have fired them. I even bought one, original Colt HBAR Sporter, years ago as a present for my son. Never fired it. In 2013 I bought two stripped lowers with the intent of building them up specifically so they can be willed to my grandsons since that is the only way they can get them in Maryland. I have started gathering the parts for the build but can't decide on what upper to put on them, since I am unfamiliar with the platform I find the choices confusing. I will probably test fire them when I am done.

Give me a walnut stocked bolt gun, or a flint lock, and I'm happy. For convertibility I have my Contender and my battle rifle is a Garand.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I carried one (really did carry a Colt's AR-15, full-auto, triangle hand guards, 3-prong flash hider) then the A1, then A2 and then the M4 in the military for 26 years. I know how to make it work and keep on working. It's like the air cooled VW Beetle of rifles.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    It's the most popular rifle in America, so there's parts available for anything you want to update. There's fresh mags at every store or gun show. It's fairly easy to work on, compared to other semi-auto platforms. Sure I like a few others, but can I swap a barrel in an afternoon? Not at my skill level. Or just swap out the entire upper in half a minute. That's pretty cool. Multiple calibers are possible as well, with my favorite being 300 Blackout. Yeah, I like the AR. Pistols, too. Sure, there's no walnut or high polish blue, but times change. A properly set up AR can be very accurate and reliable. If the zombies come, I know which rifle I'll have handy.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I was wondering about that myself! Can't seem to recall who else was aboard. The last thing I remember was looking up and seeing that huge ship wake. I must have fallen and hit my head when the boat listed hard to port.

It sank because I accidentally shot a hole in it, remember, I was trying to skip a bullet acrossed the bay.:innocent0

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Never cared for the plasticy look off of them and always preferred handguns.

One day I decided to shoot my grandfather's sporterized 1903 scoped .30-06 and I was hooked on getting a centerfire rifle to shoot at 100 yds or so.

When I looked at my requirements and what an AR-15 could offer, it was a no brainer.

Centerfire
    Modular
    Not too much recoil so my wife and daughters could enjoy
    Could build slowly to defer costs
    Could build exactly to my specs
    Good for defense if it ever becomes necessary

Like I said, no-brainer.

I got a stripped lower from a group buy here and an 18 inch WOA barrel and was off to the races.

Then I thought "I love my AR, but why would anyone want more than one???"

Then Martin O' Malley decided I should have a more evil looking rifle in 2013. So I was in on the Engage group buy, but instead of 18 inches with a scope and bi-pod it was a 14.5 inch with a pinned battle-comp and a red dot.

Can't see why anyone would want more than two though...:innocent0

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    -Has Served the U.S. for almost 50 years
    -It is a U.S. Design and not a Soviet/Communist based
    -Modular (Swap Calibers and Uppers without tools)
    -Magazines, Parts, & Ammo are available everywhere
    -Insanely reliable if built properly
    -Accurate
    -Light recoil impulse in 5.56
    -Can be built cheaper than many other designs
    -Can stomp most competitive designs when exposed to sand and mud

The Gas System is a weak point for those who use a weapon IN the water (SEALs and such). Failure to let it drain will result in a blown up or damaged weapon.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Because Uncle Sam taught me how to be rather proficient with his big brother so it was kind of a no brainier. Oh and because it pisses off all the right people :D

RossL

Dec 29, 2015
    Because it's a ton of fun to shoot at the range. Once I get bored with 1 config I can change it zillion ways.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You, sir, read clandestine's book.:thumbsup:

The man knows his shit.:thumbsup:

I was like you. I had a growing interest in lever actions and different types of 22LR rifles, but that damn law made me spend money on a bunch of lowers. I wanted to keep my and my childrens' future options open.

I really would have preferred getting an M1A Scout or FN P90 at the time, but no luck.

So I sat on these receivers. Then, really by chance because of a blown range trip (it was being renovated), DA helped me build my first one using one of my lowers (and a complete upper from PSA that I got for longterm keeping, just in case). I eventually took this black rifle to the range with ATTom (who has great ARs), and it was kind of fun. Then I started taking SOTAR classes, and gained a deeper appreciation for the platform.

Finally, I took the SOTAR build class, worked with Chad to decide what I wanted to build, what parts to get, etc. After finishing a lightweight, midlength gas (softer shooting) FDE rifle in this class, I have a new favorite that I take to the rifle range every time I go. If I had one rifle to choose to keep in my car in a time of emergency, it would be this one.

The attraction is, in part, the engineering and design of the platform. It's simplicity and it's reliability when properly built and maintained. The other appeal is it's balls on accuracy and, with light recoil, ability to get back on target right away. Just like the Winchester lever actions were the rifle that won the West and the quintessential American rifles of the 1870s to 1930s, Chad is correct, the 1950s AR-15/M-16 platform that continues to evolve is the present day American rifle.

I consider you to be a bleeds red, white, and blue patriot, so yes, you need one or two in your closet, and you need to eventually pass these on to your kids and grandkids. It's their heritage.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2013, MDS, Clandestine, a lucky karma win on a seat at a SOTAR 101 class and the allure of an 80% build all conspired to make me go black. I had very little interest in any EBRs before any of that.

Thanks gentlemen. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom