• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    District 7 is shaped like a horseshoe, and District 3 seems to have separate pieces all over the place. :sad20:

That's gotta be worse then when the cradlerobber did it before Ehrlich.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    I won't relitigate this, but progress was made in 2014 (and in the 2015 GA), despite having the deck stacked against us.

Anyone thinking otherwise is either intransigent, unaware, or willfully impatient.

if you don't want to re-litigate it, why respond to the post?

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    The districts should be drawn by population and neighborhood/town/city boundaries. Currently it is done based on the party of registered voters. This was clearly illustrated when district 31 was divided into A and B. Pockets of registered republicans were specifically skipped over instead of making a continuous boundary. This directly resulted in an additional democrat being elected to office.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Yup, 'cause Elijah Cummings cares about anything about Howard County...Neither that person, nor his staff, will respond to anything I have written over the years. I used to get token acknowledgements that my letter was received, no longer. Same with Mikulski and Cardin.

I do, however, feel like my concerns are read, and responded to, by my State delegation (Bates/Kittleman/Miller). They may not always be addressed in the manner I wish to see them addressed, but I have never failed to receive a detailed response from their offices.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If SCOTUS agrees with him, MD might have a ray of sunshine on it. But I think it will be a cold day in hell before that happens.

I'll bring you a nice WWII era wool blanket to keep you warm when it happens. :D

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    Why can't they just be the county lines? No gerrymandering and much harder to change.

Because the populations of the counties are not identical. The whole theory is that each delegate represents the same number of voters, in as much as that is possible. They draw district boundaries based on population count from the census, which is why it only happens every 10 years, after the census.

Back 50 or 60 years ago, the boundaries were drawn with an eye to keeping communities intact because, again in theory, the communities all had similar wants, needs, lifestyles, etc. Now it's all about gaining, and retaining, political power.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    redistricting

Because the populations of the counties are not identical. The whole theory is that each delegate represents the same number of voters, in as much as that is possible. They draw district boundaries based on population count from the census, which is why it only happens every 10 years, after the census.

Back 50 or 60 years ago, the boundaries were drawn with an eye to keeping communities intact because, again in theory, the communities all had similar wants, needs, lifestyles, etc. Now it's all about gaining, and retaining, political power.

Maryland originally had representation based on geography- typically each county. Then in 1838 each county elected from three to six delegates based on population- still per county. Then the commie counties got pissed due to being overruled by the "bumkin counties (read: conservative)" and in 1972 changed to supposedly be 47 equal population districts. Since then it has been bastardized to gerrymander to limit the amount of Republicans by making sure just enough commies are in each to overrule/vote. Sort of like how you see all these illegals being shipped to red states. Want to dilute the voting blocks.

Online and in one of my books at home that I remember reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom